PDA

View Full Version : Help connecting siphon to magdrive 3

OC Discus
03-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Has anyone successfully connected a vacuum hose to a magdrive 3? Below is a link to the unit from kensfish.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/water-pumps/mag-drive-3-water-pump.html

It would not self prime. Called the mfg and they said it would not pump water 30'. Ken said it would not work in line.

The head is only about 4' and the distance is about 30'.

If the pump is on the floor and primed with a 6-8' siphon hose that is about 4' above the floor, and the outlet is a 1" id hose running 30' with about a 2.5 ' rise to the bathtub, will it pump from the tank to the tub? Very frustrating to buy all kinds of adapters to make a project work and it doesn't work.

Bill63SG
03-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Sorry,cant help you with your question,but heres my set up that I use to clean my breeders,about the same gph you have and it is self priming.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103667-Simer-Transfer-Pump&highlight=

MKD
03-07-2014, 06:48 PM
sometimes if it's not really tight, it won't prime. not sure what you're trying to do but if you just want to drain from 1 tank, why don't you put the pump inside the tank?

OC Discus
03-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Sorry,cant help you with your question,but heres my set up that I use to clean my breeders,about the same gph you have and it is self priming.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103667-Simer-Transfer-Pump&highlight=

Thanks Bill. That is what I want to do. Only 1 55g, but it has two sides with a divider. I've been vacuuming with a manual siphon and electric vac, and using submersible to drain. Would be much better to have one pump that will vac and drain.

OC Discus
03-07-2014, 07:09 PM
sometimes if it's not really tight, it won't prime. not sure what you're trying to do but if you just want to drain from 1 tank, why don't you put the pump inside the tank?

Tony, I'm trying to attach my vacuum hose to the pump and send it about 30' to the bathtub. When I tried it early this morning I expected it to be self priming. When it didn't work I called the mfg and they said it wouldn't push water 30'. I boxed it up to return and returned all the adapters to Lowes before I realized I could try priming it first- Fill the siphon hose down to the pump before turning the pump on. It seems like it should work. I hate to ship it back if it would actually work.

MKD
03-07-2014, 07:28 PM
if you do it for only 1 tank, i suggest put the pump inside the tank. if you do multiple tanks, i'll suggest return it and get inline pump like Bill because if you break the siphon between tanks, you have to prime it again and make sure no water left insde the 30' hose.

OC Discus
03-07-2014, 07:41 PM
if you do it for only 1 tank, i suggest put the pump inside the tank. if you do multiple tanks, i'll suggest return it and get inline pump like Bill because if you break the siphon between tanks, you have to prime it again and make sure no water left insde the 30' hose.

Thank you Tony. I already had a submersible pump, but I wanted one to vacuum. Does the hose have to be full on both ends to hold a siphon? If the pump is sitting 4' below the water line and primed through the inlet and the outlet loops back up a couple of feet will it hold a siphon? Or is there too much air from the outlet to hold it

MKD
03-07-2014, 08:19 PM
That is the idea, both ends must be full in order to work properly. I got frustrated and waste so much time when it fails.

Bill63SG
03-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Also,the simer is noisy,like using a hair dryer,quiter when water is in it.

tonytheboss1
03-21-2014, 07:19 PM
This is a little noisy but it pumps like crazy. You fill it to start (a cup) & it's good till you finish. Drains 80% 125g in about 8/10 min. (off/on via pwr/strip) Wayne PC4 1/2 HP 115-Volt Transfer Water Pump http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_7736_7736. Recommend reinforced hose on inlet side cause this thing SUCKS!! "T"

yquefue
04-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Also,the simer is noisy,like using a hair dryer,quiter when water is in it.

i have the same pump and i siphon and fill 125 gallon in 30 min can't ask nothing better