PDA

View Full Version : HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE TO SEED NEW SPONGE FILTER?

mattjm1121
03-17-2014, 09:30 PM
hey all,

i'm setting up a new QT and i wanted to know how long it should take a new sponge to be seeded in a long established tank? i just started running it today (with a powerhead, if that matters). i've been trying to find a solid answer but there seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions; ranging from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks. the QT is 29 gallons and the sponge (ATI) is rated up to 80 gallons. thanks in advance.

Bill63SG
03-18-2014, 06:31 AM
At least 3 weeks.

DonMD
03-18-2014, 01:17 PM
At least 3 weeks.

Yes, at the very minimum, 3 weeks. More likely 5 weeks, although some vendors claim that you can instantly cycle with their super nitrifying bacterial solutions. I assume you've put a little bit of ammonia in the tank to start the cycle?

By the way, I've had fish in an un-cycled tank for about 6 weeks now, using SAFE at double dose, and there've been no bad effects either first from ammonia, or lately from nitrites. But that tank is now finally cycling, almost finished.

Bill63SG
03-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Yes, at the very minimum, 3 weeks. More likely 5 weeks, although some vendors claim that you can instantly cycle with their super nitrifying bacterial solutions. I assume you've put a little bit of ammonia in the tank to start the cycle?

By the way, I've had fish in an un-cycled tank for about 6 weeks now, using SAFE at double dose, and there've been no bad effects either first from ammonia, or lately from nitrites. But that tank is now finally cycling, almost finished.

Especially if your doing daily large water changes, Ive done the same.

mattjm1121
03-18-2014, 04:28 PM
the tank is empty at the moment so no ammonia. with a fully seeded sponge, wouldn't i be able to just fill the tank with water and plop the sponge in and be good to go?

DonMD
03-18-2014, 05:08 PM
I guess I didn't understand your original question. I thought you wanted to seed a new sponge, in a new, or QT tank. But I re-read your question and I see you're asking how long to seed the new sponge in an established tank, so that you can move it later to a QT tank and have a cycled tank, is that right? Sorry for not reading your question very well!

My answer: I don't really know. LOL. Sorry. But it's a good question and I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Bill63SG
03-18-2014, 05:16 PM
the tank is empty at the moment so no ammonia. with a fully seeded sponge, wouldn't i be able to just fill the tank with water and plop the sponge in and be good to go?

Within reason,yes.you cant expect to seed a sponge in a tank with,let's say 2 fish,and then move it to a new tank and put 5 fish in.But it give you a good start.Also,imagine the sponge like a cup of water,and you put some water into another cup,you dont have 2 full cups,you have 2 cups half full.Its not exactly like this,but more sponges dont neccesarrily give you more bio,theres only so much to go around,feed and thrive on the waste.

mattjm1121
03-18-2014, 05:45 PM
I guess I didn't understand your original question. I thought you wanted to seed a new sponge, in a new, or QT tank. But I re-read your question and I see you're asking how long to seed the new sponge in an established tank, so that you can move it later to a QT tank and have a cycled tank, is that right? Sorry for not reading your question very well!

My answer: I don't really know. LOL. Sorry. But it's a good question and I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

lol yup you got it the second time

Within reason,yes.you cant expect to seed a sponge in a tank with,let's say 2 fish,and then move it to a new tank and put 5 fish in.But it give you a good start.Also,imagine the sponge like a cup of water,and you put some water into another cup,you dont have 2 full cups,you have 2 cups half full.Its not exactly like this,but more sponges dont neccesarrily give you more bio,theres only so much to go around,feed and thrive on the waste.

oh ok cool. the tank I'm using to seed the sponge in has plenty of fish (5 discus plus cories and dithers) and the QT will certainly have less fish than the primary tank, so i should be good then. thanks for the input.

mattjm1121
03-23-2014, 06:07 PM
one more thing, how would i know exactly when the sponge is sufficiently seeded? in a couple of weeks, do i run it for a day or two on the new tank and test for something? thanks again!