PDA

View Full Version : any room for discus?

tacks
03-20-2014, 02:47 PM
I have a 150 gal. 48x30x24 a planted tank, with co2. I have 5 altums 5in,6 Bolivian ram, 10 dither fish. I would like too add 5 BD adults, Water change 60 percent a wk. What do you think. thanks Ed

Nick Klimkowski
03-20-2014, 02:51 PM
I think it would be overstocked, for your water change routine. What are the other fish are in there?

DonMD
03-20-2014, 04:15 PM
That's a big tank, and you really don't have very many fish in it now. I have seen heavily planted tanks your size with 5 or more discus that were very well maintained and successful (one guy even managed the ferts via the internet while he was at work!). I assume you know how to manage plants, so I think it may work. For myself, I believe that planted tanks are harder to manage than discus tanks, but 5 discus could be good. Why don't you try it? As long as you go in realizing that you could fail, you may experience success. I say, go for it.

Larry Bugg
03-20-2014, 05:58 PM
I don't think you would be overstocked at all and I think 60% on a planted tank weekly with that kind of stocking would be fine also.

Elliots
03-20-2014, 06:02 PM
I say go for it but up your water change frequency to hopefully three times weekly and remember that when you change that much water that often you may have to add additional plant food possibly with every change. I am not saying one 60% change a week will not work but your Discus will do better with more fresh water.

Nick Klimkowski
03-20-2014, 06:10 PM
I did not know what the other fish are in the tank? If they are cardnals than no it is not overstocked. I think it may depend on what the other fish are most likely it will be ok.

tacks
03-20-2014, 07:16 PM
thanks for the reply. Ed

rickztahone
03-22-2014, 12:00 AM
5 discus should be no problem considering your other stock. I also think that 60% WC for that few stock would be fine considering that you have a fully planted tank which helps maintain better water quality. I say go for it, but buy from a sponsor to eliminate additional risk factors. Let us know what you decide.

discuspaul
03-22-2014, 10:49 PM
I don't think you would be overstocked at all and I think 60% on a planted tank weekly with that kind of stocking would be fine also.

Fully Agree. Go for it.