PDA

View Full Version : How do I start

galdadi
03-23-2014, 02:34 PM
hi all,
I'm kind of new in the discus area, so I wanted to ask If I can raise discus fish in my tank. Here is my my tank parameters-
I have 40 gallon tank.
quartz gravel mixed with substrate- I would say 70% substrate and 30% quartz.
low tech plants such as alternanthera, jungle val, bacopa, crypts- which covers the back of my tank.
atman cf-1200 filtration system.
fluorescent bulbs- 4*60W.
appropriate heather.
14 rummy nose and 16 tetra cardinal.
I do twice a week 20% water changes.

My questions are- Can I raise discus fish- I so- how many and which size?
How many water changes should I do?
What is the recommended food- I read in this forum about many recommendation- so what are the right balance between dry/live food,
Thanks
Gal

Elliots
03-23-2014, 02:56 PM
A 40 gallon is a little small for Discus. People on SD seem to agree a minimum of 55 and hopefully larger. I would think 75 gal minimum, but that is just me.

mrez5
03-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Hi, i am new too but you might have missed out one of the sticky thread on this forum which is very helpful for people like you and me.

URL: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Hiball1
03-26-2014, 02:47 AM
I think by your description in my opinion you could raise 2 discus comfortably. I raised 2 discus in a 29 gallon tank that grew to around 7 inches. they were happy and hardy. I kept them in that tank close to 7 years before giving them away. As suggested bigger is always better.You can never have to much room for discus. Again this is my own opinion from my own experiences.

John_Nicholson
03-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Disregard the above advise. You chance of success in that setup is very, very small. I would suggest holding off until you can get a better setup.

-john

Hiball1
03-26-2014, 12:18 PM
I realise i have only 2 posts and you have 5500 posts. I am new to this forum but i have raised discus for years. It was my opinion and still is. I did say bigger is better. It always is. Discus can thrive in that size setup. With proper and more frequent water changes and care.Im certainly not trying to step on any toes. I just stated my sucess. If he has a budget and can,t go bigger. Why not start somewhere? If he has the funds to go bigger. Then most certainly go bigger.I hope im not offending anyone here.I'm sorry if i hijacked this thread.

Sean

abuckley75
03-26-2014, 12:55 PM
Discus are a community fish and most here would not keep them in groups smaller than 5-6 discus. 5-6 discus can not live in a 29 gallon tank.

Hiball1
03-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Your right when you say community fish. I would not put 5 or 6 in their. What you say makes perfect sense to me and would not work in a 29 gallon or a 40 gallon. I prefer to put a large group together as i like to watch them school.plus i like many differant varieties. I wasnt looking at it that way when i answerd. My 2 did very well with nothing else in that tank. And they were very happy and hardy. He could always start somewhere and grow like most of us do.

Sean

Hiball1
03-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Your right when you say community fish. I would not put 5 or 6 in their. What you say makes perfect sense to me and would not work in a 29 gallon or a 40 gallon. I prefer to put a large group together as i like to watch them school.plus i like many differant varieties. I wasnt looking at it that way when i answerd. My 2 did very well with nothing else in that tank. And they were very happy and hardy. He could always start somewhere and grow like most of us do.

Sean

Hiball1
03-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Sorry for double post. On my droid.

Jstaabs
03-26-2014, 03:11 PM
You can always find a bigger tank I traded a 55 gallon that was setup for 135 that's setup with a built in overflow. My 150 I paid 200 for and had everything I needed but fish and water. I have come to realize that anything that is worth having is also worth waiting for so take your time find the correct tank for these amazing fish you will be a lot happier and so will they