PDA

View Full Version : Discus tank conversion

firefighter2201
03-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Currently have 6 discus in a 30g with 1 hob fluval. Other than weekly wc's everything is great. In process of setting up 120g for these guys and will use a new canister filter in addition to the current hob. Im hoping to avoid any serious issues including a bacterial bloom. Recommendations would be appreciated. If I go ahead with filling 120 including majority from established tank and move the hob having my good bacteria will I likely be ok? We use well water and are fortunate that things like Ph are very similar if not same as their tank water. Any thoughts?

John_Nicholson
03-23-2014, 07:45 PM
If you have 6 in a 30 gallon I assume they are small. In that case you really should be doing a lot more water cahnges than once a week. Most here, including myself, suggest daily water changes for young fish. Ph is not really an issue. What discus is clean water. That is the reason for the wc's. They might survive for a while without them but in the longterm it usually leads to a crash, exspecially in planted tanks.

Good luck.

-john

Udeservit
03-23-2014, 08:43 PM
can you put the filter media in the 30 gallon to age? Ive read that it takes 2 weeks to seed new filter sponge but any amount of time would be better than no time at all. Do you have other things like rock etc in the 30 gal you can add to the 120 even if just for a short time period? I agree that more than once a week water changes should be done. Any objections to even just doing 3 times a week? Maybe you're not feeding very often? If you feed more than once a day which is recommended for little ones you must have a lot of waste!...

If you use all your 30 gallon water and seed your large new filter media you shouldn't have a problem in my opinion as long as you do frequent water changes at least for the first 4 -6 weeks. Once a week isn't enough.

firefighter2201
03-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Maybe I confused all :). My current 30 is running top notch and has excellent water quality. Little guys eating fine too. I'm setting up their new home in a 120g and want to avoid bloom. Thought is move well established existing filter & media to new tank, use as much existing water as possible (30g), finish filling with same temp water, then acclamate them to new tank.

Second Hand Pat
03-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Maybe I confused all :). My current 30 is running top notch and has excellent water quality. Little guys eating fine too. I'm setting up their new home in a 120g and want to avoid bloom. Thought is move well established existing filter & media to new tank, use as much existing water as possible (30g), finish filling with same temp water, then acclamate them to new tank.

Hi Brent and welcome to simply. You are not confusing at all. It is being suggested that to properly grow out your little ones more WCs are needed then once a week. Most of us do large daily WCs.

tonytheboss1
03-24-2014, 10:29 AM

:bandana: No confusion. Perfectly understood. The difference between surviving & thriving is multiple quality feedings & daily W/C's. At bare minimum I would try for 80% every other day till they are no longer juvies. Tank size increase is a good thing but W/C's are still gonna be necessary for max potential. BTW, your changeover plan should be fine. "T"