PDA

View Full Version : Filter Socks sizes for Discus sumps

ganesan
03-25-2014, 02:42 PM
I have heard that filter socks keep water very clear and is installed in a sump. my query is that filter socks come in different micron size. Which micron size are commonly used so that cleaning them will not be required very, very often.I think that depends upon floating algae, water overfeeding, stocks that are heavy etc Also I was told its better to buy a couple of filter socks at least 5 to 7 so that when you wash one set the other can be used. my last query is how do you best wash them.

s14swap240sx
03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
When I had a heavily stocked African cichlid tank 125g I used a combo of 200 micron filter socks and sponge filter to polish my water. With a 200micron sock you will find lots of small debris building up in your sump. I purchased 50 micron and I found they did an outstanding job polishing the water but clogged within one day. My 200 micron socks could go for an entire week with our being changed.

As far a cleaning I gave them a good cleaning in the sink with tap water. Many people use bleach and i was just reading a post on reef central about using hydrogen peroxide and how there are much less chances of harming livestock over bleach.

Felt socks require this kinda cleaning.. A regular mesh won't work as we'll but they awe much easier to clean

s14swap240sx
03-26-2014, 04:19 PM
just wanted to follow up with you, I purchased 4, 100 micron felt filter socks in a 4inch diameter by 14inch length. its important to get a heat treated seam to prevent any materials from unwinding and finding its way into a pump

decided I will clean with some hydrogen peroxide in a 5 gallon bucket, allow it to soak into the felt material of the sock, and then dump the socks into a washing machine with nothing but water. with an extra rinse cycle.

poret foam downstream of the filter socks will help keep the water polished if you go with a lower maintenance 200 micron sock, or you could use two socks per overflow, stuffing a 200 micron sock into a 50 micron sock to get extended usage of a finer 50 micron sock.

another idea I read up on last night was also using filter floss stuffed into the filter sock for much longer use of the filter sock, just remove the floss chuck it and replace as needed.