PDA

View Full Version : Position of discus tank!

player
03-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Hi, I have just changed my established aquarium to a home for discus. Its 50x18x20 and has 5-6" discus, all healthy and doing well in the two weeks that I have added them.The only problem is that it is reasonably close to the living room door,i know this is a no no for discus but I didn't think it was close enough to make the fish nervous when I walk into the room. Also as it is a large set up I have nowhere else for it to go. What I am asking is do any of you think they will adjust as I do not want them scared??

Miamiheat
03-27-2014, 03:38 PM
mine have adjusted just fine. I am just careful to turn on lights gradually starting by the lights further away from the tank.

player
03-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks Miamiheat, so yours is near a door then?

Miamiheat
03-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Yes it is. And it is exactly on the main passage from the bedrooms to the living room and the kitchen to the living room.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Miamiheat
03-27-2014, 04:15 PM
I guess as long as you do not run or jump around you should be fine. If you have kids then it may be another issue but I don't.

Miamiheat
03-27-2014, 04:18 PM
I actually believe that if their water quality is perfect and they're well fed they seem less prone to freaking out. I have two 60 gallon tanks and the fish in this one near the door has the happiest fish. I can pet them and touch them without them getting scared=> that is what makes discus special!

player
03-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Thank you!

Suus
03-27-2014, 04:23 PM
They will get used to it, just don't run past the tank lol

player
03-27-2014, 04:41 PM
lol, better not!

discuspaul
03-27-2014, 05:22 PM
They've only been in their new surroundings for 2 weeks, and are not yet fully comfortable. Give them a couple/few more weeks and you'll see a marked change in their behavior once they become more familiar with their location and the goings on around them.

Udeservit
03-29-2014, 10:16 AM
My 75 gal is in the living room where we spend most our time . With 3 girls there is constant music and dancing, playing and tantrums in front of the tank. lol... So far everyone is very happy and rarely is there any spooking. They come to the front of the tank to see whats going on and look for attention from all the household members. They love to be petted and eat out of our hands. Location for me hasn't been a problem. I do daily water changes and feed often. They would probably die of boredom if I put them in a quiet room ,although I would relish a quiet room!!

player
03-30-2014, 03:46 AM
Thanks, they are getting better!

player
03-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Just when I think we are getting somewhere they are getting spooked again. They are out shoaling and waiting at the front of the tank until somebody moves and then they wait in corner of tank. They are in excellent health and water is great. Is this just them getting used to new conditions and have many of you had this problem??
Any input would be much appreciated!

musicmarn1
03-30-2014, 08:41 PM
Hello to Wales UK I lived in ST.Asaph, Clwyd for many years and miss the green nice to hear from Diacus keepers there :)

I started running out of room and put my discus in busy locations, I have 15 dogs and a 3 year old so when I say busy...... I used live white worms or their fave foods at that time of day to Classically condition them to Pavlovs bell LOL dogs running past here white worms. I did put a blanket over half of the tank and I did give them stuff to hide behind but white worms and wrigglers are hand fed in open area of tank I also used only ambient light and it did work for me. I'd hate to have a fish hurt itself it would suck at 6"

Also water quality to me made a difference In their confidence I noticed And water flow. Best of luck!!