PDA

View Full Version : lighting questions (replacement T5 bulb)

dagray
03-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Hi all,
I have a twin tube T5 high output fixture and I was running a 10,000k and a 420 actinic tube for a nice color balance. The actinic tube has died and the 10,000k is too green/yellow so I was wondering do I leave the 10,000k and add a 6700k, or should I remove the 10,000k and go to two 6700k bulbs?

This is a planted tank (not heavily planted, but planted) and is 24 inches deep (75 gallon tank).

Going LED is not an option now due to cost (although at some time I would love to do this), but I am looking for recommendations that would give a nice look to the fish and stimulate growth of the plants.

Dave

pcsb23
03-29-2014, 05:02 AM
Dave the colour spectrum of the lamp is irrelevant to the plants so get what looks best to you. Plenty of suggestions and pictures to help here: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cheap-ho-t5-fluorescent-tubes-update-with-photos.555/

Pnorton
03-29-2014, 07:53 AM
I have read that certain spectrums of light can contribute to algae growth. Not sure if it is true. You may want to do some searches on theplantestank and/or barrreport.

Pam

dagray
03-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Thank you. As a photographer I am familiar with the color spectrum as I have to shoot in the 4500k range if shooting a high school play or the 5500 range if shooting outside to keep skin tones from looking too orange. I was under a mistaken impression that the higher the kelvin the better for plants.

I have ordered two 6700k Coralife tubes and think that will be the ticket to accurately represent the colors in the tank. If the plants aren't happy I may have to save up for a four tube fixture.

Blessings,
Dave

pcsb23
03-30-2014, 06:07 AM
I have read that certain spectrums of light can contribute to algae growth. Not sure if it is true. You may want to do some searches on theplantestank and/or barrreport.

PamTo the best of my belief and my experience it's not true. Imbalance of light vs nutrients is the usual culprit for algae, after that poor husbandry.

Thank you. As a photographer I am familiar with the color spectrum as I have to shoot in the 4500k range if shooting a high school play or the 5500 range if shooting outside to keep skin tones from looking too orange. I was under a mistaken impression that the higher the kelvin the better for plants.

I have ordered two 6700k Coralife tubes and think that will be the ticket to accurately represent the colors in the tank. If the plants aren't happy I may have to save up for a four tube fixture.

Blessings,
DaveYou should have plenty of light for growing most things.