PDA

View Full Version : How long before discus get used to you??

player
04-01-2014, 04:17 PM
As my discus are starting to get used to their new surroundings i was wondering how long it can take for them to get used to me and recognise me as their feeder?
As they are not juveniles and are 5-6ins could it be that they take longer?
They are eating but only when i am not looking.

I have been a fishkeeper for years but these beauties are not taking to me.Lol

Any tips?? :confused:

discuspaul
04-01-2014, 05:00 PM
How long have you had them and what type of environment are you keeping them in ?

It can take up to several weeks for discus of any size, particularly more mature ones, to get fully comfortable in new surroundings, and with your daily routine around them.
Besides that, high lighting can have an effect, and if your tank is in a high traffic area, and they're not accustomed to that, as well as other factors.
Be patient, they should come around eventually.

player
04-01-2014, 05:15 PM
How long have you had them and what type of environment are you keeping them in ?

It can take up to several weeks for discus of any size, particularly more mature ones, to get fully comfortable in new surroundings, and with your daily routine around them.
Besides that, high lighting can have an effect, and if your tank is in a high traffic area, and they're not accustomed to that, as well as other factors.
Be patient, they should come around eventually.

Thanks, have had them for 3 weeks now in a slightly planted set up.

Rudustin
04-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Suggestion. Have their favorite food handy and every time you approach or sit next to the tank drop some food in and they will associate you with that kind of reward. Eventually they put two and two together and recognize that you are the food giver and then they will come to greet you each time you approach the tank. It takes some time. It's taken almost a year for my some of my larger discus to not run away from me. Sometimes they become a bit too friendly when I just want to sit and watch them and they will congregate at the front of the tank so I can't watch their natural behavior until I move away and sit across my living room. It will happen be patient. I also have bare bottom tanks and there is virtually no place they can hide. If you have a slightly planted tank they will revert to instinctive behavior and hide when you approach which is what they would do in the wild when shadows of movement could be a predator. How many discus do you have? They tend to be more brave when the group is larger. Good luck

trungnguyen
04-01-2014, 06:13 PM
It depends on many facts. I just replaced the new tank for my discus. Same spot, same set up with everything, except the light is stronger. Up until now it's about 3 weeks already. So far, all my discus get used to daily WC and feeding activities. They are still scared or shy whenever I turn on the light, and they just stay at the bottom. When I turn off the light, they come up and swim everywhere. Therefore, I think it depends on many facts, and they will take time to get used to surrounding eventually. Patience is the key for keeping discus....:D

Tharr
04-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Well, my fish took about 2-3 months to get used to me. He never used to eat in my presence and would always wait till I was nowhere in sight:p. The only food accepted was frozen bloodworm at that time. Then I got him onto TetraMin Energy Crisps but he would still eat when I was away. I had to turn off the lights in the room to secretly watch if he was eating them;).

Then as time passed, I used to stay a little away from the tank after dropping in the food and he would cautiously approach the food and see if I was going to do anything to him. Everyday I used to stay a little closer to the tank till one day I could sit right up to the front with my nose almost touching the glass. This took a total of 3 months to achieve and it felt well worth the effort:D. Now he's always at the front of the tank when I or anyone else is in the room, especially since he is the only discus in the tank. I've had him over a year now.:D

This is just my experience. Sometimes it may take longer, sometimes shorter. It depends on the fish's mentality. With good care and some luck, they will become very attached to you, just like a dog in some cases:p

JaydubAiC21
04-03-2014, 01:25 AM
I think its a little tougher to get them used to you when they are older. The more you do water changes and feed them regularly they will come around for sure. Try to keep a schedule and they will get used to it, IMO. The younger discus i have owned usually take up to a month, the older ones may take 2 or 3, as some others have had the same experience I have. Mine are at a point where they even swim close to the siphon when I am cleaning the water because they are just comfortable in their own space.

player
04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Many thanks for the replies!!