PDA

View Full Version : problem with fluval 406

n8rdms
04-02-2014, 08:23 PM
I have a fluval 406 and 306, after cleaning the filters I reconnect the stop valve, open it up to fill the canisters, and a TON of junk shoots out of the output. This also happens when I use the prime before turning them back on, making my newly cleaned aquarium covered in stuff again. What in the world is going on!?

yquefue
04-02-2014, 08:32 PM
i have the same 406 filter on my 75 gallon tank what i do every week clean filter with warm water and you have to clean the bottom of the canister.fill with clean water put a pan on the output and pump it a few times and you will be good it happened to me too. i hope this helps

treemanone2003
04-02-2014, 08:41 PM
I've got a 205 and a 406 and have never experienced this situation. Just out of curiosity, did you purchase these new ?

n8rdms
04-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I like the idea but I don't feel this should be happening at all.

n8rdms
04-02-2014, 08:49 PM
And yeah I bought both of them brand new

treemanone2003
04-02-2014, 09:10 PM
I don't think it should be happening either. How long has it been running ? Recent purchase or well established ? None the less, really strange.

RogueDiscus
04-02-2014, 09:16 PM
I have the same issue will all my Fluval canisters. I'm assuming it's a mix of bacteria and particles that has built up in the ridges of the tubing during use, but that breaks loose when the water flow stops and starts. It doesn't seem to cause any problem, but it's unsightly as you describe. When I clean my canisters, I open the aqua-stop connector on the tubing into a bucket and shake the tube a bit to get as much as I can out before the water drops below the output level. When I restart the filter I also leave the sponge pre-filters off the input tube for a while so the canister can draw much of it back in, to be cleaned out the next time. This is just my experience and how I deal with it. If anyone has other info about the stuff, please share.
Steve

n8rdms
04-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Well I'm glad it's not just happening to me. I initially thought the intake was sucking up the brine shrimp I was feeding because that's kind of what the stuff looks like that gets shot out. I decided to shut my filters down for awhile while feeding thinking this would help. I even sat and watched after I kicked them back on to make sure no food was getting sucked up haha. This did not help at all because I just cleaned my filters this evening and the same thing happened obviously since I'm posting this tonight. Also, this only happens when I unhook the canisters and clean them, the purge of filling the canister back up kicks all this stuff out of the output. If I shut them down for 20 min. but leave everything hooked up none of this happens.

Udeservit
04-02-2014, 11:03 PM
this happens to me too. I hold a net over the output when i start it back up, catch the debris and nothing gets in the tank.

n8rdms
04-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Well at least I now have some solutions to help keep all that crap from getting in my tank but I still fell there should be something from preventing this all together. I might try to get ahold of Fluval to see what they say.

Udeservit
04-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Well at least I know some solutions to all that crap getting in my tank but I still fell there should be something from preventing this all together. I might try to get ahold of Fluval to see what they say.

let us know!!

yquefue
04-03-2014, 09:38 PM
let us know!!

Yes it will be interesting to see what hey have to say and post please

100fuegos
04-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Perfectly normal, it happens to me too with my two JBL with full rigid PVC plumbing. It should be a mix of bacteria growth and who knows what but I can tell you, my fish eat it. It mostly happens when I clean my canisters and water comes in through the submerged water outlet and the air inside the empty canisters travels up their way to the tank forcing the said bacteria loose and into the tank.

It is harmless

Enviado desde mi SM-T310 mediante Tapatalk

ronald sherman
04-21-2014, 09:08 PM
yes I have had the problem from the first monthsince I've bought my fluval 306 new 1.5 yr ago I found a solution every 2 week that clean my filter I find when I take a high pressure hose and clean both water lines that work's real well, I'm a bit OCD, and seem too get it bad so I take a couple cupful's of peroxide then re-flush with water