PDA

View Full Version : NADA 2014 Show - The Countdown Begins

Larry Bugg
04-03-2014, 05:56 PM
12 WEEKS TILL SHOWTIME!!!

DO YOU HAVE YOUR HOTEL ROOM RESERVED?

HAVE YOU MADE YOUR SHOW REGISTRATION?

It is really time to start thinking about taking care of these items to make sure you are all set. I have definitely taken care of making mine. No way I'm missing out of the great time to be had. You have till May 28th to get the special NADA Room rate but don't put it off. Go ahead and make it now. Remember if something major comes up that can't be avoided you can always cancel the room. We currently have more room reservations than we did at this time before the 2012 Show. Your name needs to be added to that list.

So tell me what some of your plans are. Googles Map shows 960 miles, 14 hours for us. At this time we plan on leaving Wednesday morning so we can arrive at the hotel that night and be on hand Thursday for Setup. It is a lot of work but it is also a lot of fun and I wouldn't miss it. While I would enjoy checking out Austin, I doubt I will leave the hotel except maybe to get something to eat. We have several people in the Atlanta Metro area talking about going so hopefully we can get a caravan going.

Are you going to be there. Sound off...........lets hear from you.

winn0923
04-03-2014, 06:00 PM
I will be there.. 3 hours for me!

Plus one of my buddy is in law school down there right in downtown Austin so we have a place to stay. I'm excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discus-n00b
04-03-2014, 06:25 PM
16h 46min is what its showing for me, 1170mi. Depending on the route taken, might just take 20 all the way. OUCH! Haha. I plan to drive it. Will be easier having my car there in case I want to venture out and easier to take all of my camera gear that way. Might have to spend a night on the road both ways and split it into 2 days, not sure yet really but I need to decide soon. Hotel is booked for me to arrive on Thursday, though if I can swing it I may arrive a bit early that day and help setup.

RichT
04-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Hotel room ✔ Registration ✔ Wed night bar time ✔

Rich

John_Nicholson
04-03-2014, 07:42 PM
I am thinking of maybe making it down for a little bit........LOL. Oh and yes everything is booked for me.

-john

farebox
04-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Plan on attending, this will be my very first convention ever. Since being an newbie, kinda of lost on what to do. Already joined NADA and thinking of just driving from San Antonio each day. Maybe just stay at the hotel and save on buying gas. Looking forward of seeing some great fish and to acquire a fish or two.

rickztahone
04-03-2014, 10:08 PM
16h 46min is what its showing for me, 1170mi. Depending on the route taken, might just take 20 all the way. OUCH! Haha. I plan to drive it. Will be easier having my car there in case I want to venture out and easier to take all of my camera gear that way. Might have to spend a night on the road both ways and split it into 2 days, not sure yet really but I need to decide soon. Hotel is booked for me to arrive on Thursday, though if I can swing it I may arrive a bit early that day and help setup.

That is quite the drive Matt! I hear you on the camera gear though. I usually want to take my ThinkTank sling and end up taking my backpack because I don't want to leave stuff behind, lol.

Take some good shots buddy for the rest of us ;-)

musicmarn1
04-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Will some of us meet up and go out for dinner ? i know old friends will how about us new friends who have never met :) or do i just book hotel dinners hehe cant wait to meet people and put avatars to faces :balloon:

not that id enter fish but why does it say pH 9-10 in rental tanks? And if you see a fish you want to buy do you wait until the auction or contact seller right away, what is the protocol there? perhaps might get a wild or two !! :bounce2:

Larry Bugg
04-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Plan on attending, this will be my very first convention ever. Since being an newbie, kinda of lost on what to do. Already joined NADA and thinking of just driving from San Antonio each day. Maybe just stay at the hotel and save on buying gas. Looking forward of seeing some great fish and to acquire a fish or two.

I highly recommend you stay at the hotel. Even if you lived in Austin I would still recommend this. There will be groups of people staying up till the wee hours of the morning talking. You won't want to miss anything leaving and coming back daily.

Larry Bugg
04-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Will some of us meet up and go out for dinner ? i know old friends will how about us new friends who have never met :) or do i just book hotel dinners hehe cant wait to meet people and put avatars to faces :balloon:

not that id enter fish but why does it say pH 9-10 in rental tanks? And if you see a fish you want to buy do you wait until the auction or contact seller right away, what is the protocol there? perhaps might get a wild or two !! :bounce2:

Some will eat at the hotel and some will go out. Either way it is not just old friends. Once you get there you should find that everyone is friends and would love to have you join them. At the 2010 Show I knew very few people. I was welcomed and joined different groups at meal times. It was as easy as walking into the restaurant, seeing a group I recognized as discus people and joining them. I came away with a LOT of new friends.

yim11
04-04-2014, 07:44 PM
It's kinda hard to explain to someone that's never been, but when that many folks with a common interest get together it just happens automatically. You will just start talking to someone looking at the same fish you are (or they will talk to you), or just overhear a group of folks talking and join in (or someone will ask you what you think). It just kinda happens lol. Like I say, hard to explain but as many have and will confirm, everyone leaves a with a LOT of new friends!

Looking forward to seeing all my old friends and meeting new ones!

Disgirl
04-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Just made my plane reservation, can someone in Austin tell me how I should plan to get from the airport to the hotel? Is there a shuttle bus? How far is the hotel from the Austin airport? I will get there about 4pm Thursday. Thanks,
Barb

nwehrman
04-06-2014, 08:29 PM
There is a shuttle.. all you have to do is give the hotel your arrival time and flight info and they will be there. The hotel is a straight shot from the Airport few miles west on 71. Very Easy!

I am the closest to the hotel ... with a 20 minute commute with no traffic... and I booked my hotel WED thru Sun...because I want to relax and enjoy my Wed arriving friends before the show starts or wait is that before the work begins. The Hotel is amazing... and the food there is great also. Eaten there several times and left very happy each time.

John_Nicholson
04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
musicmarn1 at NADA there are no new friends, there are no old friends, there is just friends. You will not have any trouble finding someone to eat with. There is always groups going.

And now to the rest of ya'll that have not registered yet......What the hell are you waiting on? Do you realize how much you have the opportunity to learn? And not just from the speakers. You can learn just as much by talking to the other folks as you can the speakers and you end up making friends that you will have for life.

-john

Phillydubs
04-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Ugh, reading all of this just bums me out that I can not attend... My wife is pregnant and the doctors have ordered her not to fly... I suppose I could drive it, but doubtful...

I guess it will have to be next year with an extra baby in tow!!

Skip
04-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Ugh, reading all of this just bums me out that I can not attend... My wife is pregnant and the doctors have ordered her not to fly... I suppose I could drive it, but doubtful...

I guess it will have to be next year with an extra baby in tow!!

fyi.. its every 2 years.. TBA2016

Phillydubs
04-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Every 2 years...? Crap, I guess I really have to grow some patience in these next few years...

John_Nicholson
04-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Just jump in the car and head south......Take your time and make it a family vacation with a fish show thrown in.

-john

metsfan421
04-24-2014, 02:02 AM
I'd love to go! Would be coming from NY. When is it and how much is it to attend besides the cost of travel and hotel?

John_Nicholson
04-24-2014, 08:19 AM
I'd love to go! Would be coming from NY. When is it and how much is it to attend besides the cost of travel and hotel?

Here is the website. The cost to attend is extremely low and you will not regret coming. It is always a huge blast.

-john

http://nadaaustin2014.com/

nwehrman
04-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Seven weeks now till the show .... Excitement is growing ... ARE YOU GOING TO BE HERE ALSO??? Book your hotel now and your registration! I can not wait!

OC Discus
04-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Can someone open up a NADA thread and post pics of all the great fish? Play by play day by day?

Discus-n00b
04-30-2014, 04:53 PM
I plan to do that. Will also be posting updates to twitter and youtube and such daily (hopefully) and I'll be sure to get all those exact links to people closer to show time so they can follow along.

Skip
04-30-2014, 05:11 PM
Can someone open up a NADA thread and post pics of all the great fish? Play by play day by day?

sure here are in the instructions..

http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/217270_504528360591_163000008_30189558_9220_n-604x420.jpeg

John_Nicholson
04-30-2014, 05:17 PM

As close as you are you need to load up and be at the show......

-jhon

Larry Bugg
04-30-2014, 06:00 PM

-jhon

Ain't that the truth.

So here is the problem. We all always have great intentions of posting lots and lots of stuff while it is happening, including lots of pictures. Then we get there..............Our time is spent listening to the great talks by the speakers, catching up with what is going on with old friends, meeting and making new friends. Somewhere during all that we might find time to grab something to eat. Next thing you know it is midnight, we still haven't been back to our room all day and now it's time to get a drink and talk with new and old friends about discus. Next thing you know it is 3 AM and we had better get to sleep so we can be awake for the speaker the next morning. We probably found a little bit of time during that to snap a few pictures but we didn't find time to go back to the room and upload them over the hotel internet to our computers so we can post them. We REALLY intended to find the time but we didn't want to miss out on everything that was going on at the Show. So I will apologize in advance in case it doesn't happen. I do want you to hear and see what is happening at the Show because I want you to realize what you are missing so you make sure you don't let it happen again.

Discus-n00b
04-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Ain't that the truth.

So here is the problem. We all always have great intentions of posting lots and lots of stuff while it is happening, including lots of pictures. Then we get there..............Our time is spent listening to the great talks by the speakers, catching up with what is going on with old friends, meeting and making new friends. Somewhere during all that we might find time to grab something to eat. Next thing you know it is midnight, we still haven't been back to our room all day and now it's time to get a drink and talk with new and old friends about discus. Next thing you know it is 3 AM and we had better get to sleep so we can be awake for the speaker the next morning. We probably found a little bit of time during that to snap a few pictures but we didn't find time to go back to the room and upload them over the hotel internet to our computers so we can post them. We REALLY intended to find the time but we didn't want to miss out on everything that was going on at the Show. So I will apologize in advance in case it doesn't happen. I do want you to hear and see what is happening at the Show because I want you to realize what you are missing so you make sure you don't let it happen again.

This of course is very true. Hence the "hopefully" in my post above.

Wes
04-30-2014, 06:11 PM
Larry you need to wear one of these so you don't forget. We will see what you see.
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/xeriod/hat-with-camera-0910-lg_zps0a95e523.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/xeriod/media/hat-with-camera-0910-lg_zps0a95e523.jpg.html)

or this one
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/xeriod/helit_zps07631fb3.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/xeriod/media/helit_zps07631fb3.jpg.html)

Quintin
04-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Hope can get cash together few years from now and attend.another country first time would be great

Chad Adams
04-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Ain't that the truth.

Lol, this is exactly how it happens!

You just need to be there!

Chad

Disgirl
04-30-2014, 06:44 PM
I will be taking and posting pictures, like I did in Atlanta. They won't be nearly as good as Matt's will be, but at least you will be able to see a bit of what you are missing. I promise to do it.
Barb

Skip
04-30-2014, 08:10 PM
I will post to Facebook probably before posting here.. lol.. its faster

OC Discus
04-30-2014, 09:08 PM
I will be taking and posting pictures, like I did in Atlanta. They won't be nearly as good as Matt's will be, but at least you will be able to see a bit of what you are missing. I promise to do it.
Barb

Thanks Barb. We'll be looking for your pics.

I plan to do that. Will also be posting updates to twitter and youtube and such daily (hopefully) and I'll be sure to get all those exact links to people closer to show time so they can follow along.

We'll be looking for your picks too Matt.

-jhon

John, I'd love to come, but not sure about my wife. She isn't as enthusiastic as I am.

Ain't that the truth.

Larry, maybe between everybody we'll get to see some pics. Or someone could compile the picks after the show and put them together. Thanks for the effort.

Larry Bugg
04-30-2014, 09:36 PM
There is no doubt that there will be a compilation of stuff after the Show. That will definitely happen. Always does. If you go to the NADA section here on the forum and look at the 2012 Show section you will see that quite a bit gets posted. Most of it gets posted after the Show though. Just being truthful about what happens during the Show. We get very caught up in all that is happening and simply don't find the extra time to post a whole lot.

nwehrman
04-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Extra time? That's only between 3-6 am ... And you have to give up sleep for it... Assuming you don't want to miss anything of course

OC Discus
05-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Good opportunity for sellers to post picks of fish for sale all in one place.

Skip
05-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Good opportunity for sellers to post picks of fish for sale all in one place.

well, its kind of not advertised or listed.. who owns what.. due to judging.. you don't want bias..

BUT.. loose lips, sink ships.. :) so word gets around in the little circles that huddle around the tanks at the show

John_Nicholson
05-02-2014, 07:24 PM
I am very happy to announce that Universal Rocks will be one of the vendors at our show. They are a family owned company that makes some unreal fake rocks, fake tree stumps, fake roots, and great backgrounds. Their products have several advantages over natural things and also outher peoples fakes. They can make almost anything. They will have lots of product at the show but here is their website is you want to do some shopping ahead of time. Be sure to tell them that NADA sent you.

-john

http://www.universalrocks.com/

Discus-n00b
05-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Nice! I have a background from them in my 100gal, outstanding product.

yiapas
05-02-2014, 11:02 PM
i have always watched some conventions and shows in Europe
(maybe i am the only greek guy as a NADA member)
i am living the last 3 years permanently in NY and i am happy to have as a guest my good friend Cuneyt Birol for couple of days here before the show, and then we will fly together down to Austin
so guys is my first discus-show in that continent and i am sure, Cuneyt and I, will be more than happy to meet you there

:hat:

friendly John

yim11
05-03-2014, 01:13 AM
i have always watched some conventions and shows in Europe
(maybe i am the only greek guy as a NADA member)
i am living the last 3 years permanently in NY and i am happy to have as a guest my good friend Cuneyt Birol for couple of days here before the show, and then we will fly together down to Austin
so guys is my first discus-show in that continent and i am sure, Cuneyt and I, will be more than happy to meet you there

:hat:

friendly John

John,

We are very Thankful and Honored that you were able to facilitate Cuneyt coming to our show! As I mentioned, I owe you a drink :).

We look forward to having you and hope you will enjoy your first North American Discus Show.

See you soon my friend.

Best Regards,
-jim

nwehrman
05-07-2014, 03:45 PM
SIX WEEKS OUT... WHO'S GETTING EXCITED NOW?

Hotel rate cut off date is May 28th ... just 20 days away and our amazing rate goes away... book your room now!! I will see you there!! Things just keep getting more exciting the closer we get! You will regret not being there...make it happen- its worth it!

rsawest@yahoo.com
05-11-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm signed sealed and delivered! I can't wait to see everyone in Austin! I am so looking forward to this show!

Disgirl
05-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Hi Linda, shall I add you to the Friday evening dinner- for- lady-discus-keepers? I am starting a list...anyone else want to be added?
Barb

rsawest@yahoo.com
05-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Yep, put me down for the dinner Barb!

musicmarn1
05-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Oooh me too please Barb lol

Disgirl
05-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Yep, you are on my list. So far I have 8 ladies coming to our Friday night lady discus keeper dinner about 6pm. It will be fun, anyone else want to join us? I need to make a reservation for us. The more the merrier!
Barb

Discus-Hans
05-24-2014, 01:35 AM
DISCRIMINATION!!!!!!!!! You're lucky I'm not there on Friday evening lol lol

Have fun ladies!!!!!

Hans

Disgirl
05-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Hans, is Joanne coming with you? She can join our dinner. See you soon!
Barb

Discus-Hans
05-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Hans, is Joanne coming with you? She can join our dinner. See you soon!
Barb

Joanne is not coming Barb, somebody has to hold the fort while I'm partying lol lol

No Joanne HATES to fly, that's why we drove last time to Texas (never again) flying 2 times in 2 days would be a little to much for her lol lol

Hans

Skip
05-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Booked my room.. guess i am going :)

musicmarn1
05-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Yey lol I think im driving, should be fun but I hope I dont get lost and miss it!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

nwehrman
05-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Hotel is right on I35 - all will be good!

Even if you think you are going to come - book your room before the rate shoots up... Cancellation policy is 72 hours ahead of time no fees!

Skip
05-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Hotel is right on I35 - all will be good!

Even if you think you are going to come - book your room before the rate shoots up... Cancellation policy is 72 hours ahead of time no fees!

my ears perked up when i heard this.. they would charge 1 day rate if you miss it

nwehrman
05-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Normal room rates are 149.00 night -- just saying :)

nwehrman
05-31-2014, 03:07 PM

Were working away - to make this a great show!

korbi_doc
05-31-2014, 10:32 PM
Well, I've made reservations & planned to drive to Austin with my friend Jean, but it's not looking favorable for the trip after all....her husband has been ill, & my myasthenia has progressed & I am almost afraid to drive it myself...would be 'bout 750 miles tho my truck is up to it, I may not be....& Barb, when I heard that you're having a night for us girls, I thought that's another reason to go, would be much fun I think, & I hate to miss it....still be trying tho, lol.....

Hans, I agree with Joanne, my previous trips on planes have been just horrific & it affects my physical condition, so I try to drive everywhere, & that challenging TSA has often turned me off....so I HATE TO FLY TOO!!!!!!

Dottie, aka Korbidoc....

Disgirl
06-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Dottie, even if you have to decide at the last minute, we will have a spot for you at the ladies night dinner. For others, the deadline is June 6 please. Respond in the ladies night thread. We will of course have a few extra places set for surprise guests!
Barb

musicmarn1
06-01-2014, 03:52 PM
if there is anyone i can help by driving from CO, free ride with me - if that could be of help to anyone. Also who is it thats flying out from out of the country>? so excited to be there with so many Godly Discus and so many cool discus peeps !!! my family in the UK thinks im totally bonkers for going to a fish convention LOLbut it seems like the coolest thing ever to me :)

John_Nicholson
06-01-2014, 06:07 PM
LOL...You will not regret it.

-john

korbi_doc
06-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks Barb, still unsure, but would hate to miss this one...here's hopin' I can find a way.....

Dottie, even if you have to decide at the last minute, we will have a spot for you at the ladies night dinner. For others, the deadline is June 6 please. Respond in the ladies night thread. We will of course have a few extra places set for surprise guests!
Barb

John_Nicholson
06-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Sweetheart I hope you make it. It has been too long since I have seen you.

-john

Discus-Hans
06-04-2014, 03:18 AM
Dottie, call Beth from Glas Cages 615 446 8877 Tell her I told you to call her. Maybe you can work something out with them, they will drive to the show any how.

No idea if it's possible but give it a shot,

Hans

dkeef
06-04-2014, 03:24 PM
damn wanna go...any chance this will happen in CA in the future?
common we got disney land and beachs with best weather possible! LOL

Disgirl
06-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Hey Dave, that could also be Florida you are describing!
Barb

dkeef
06-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Ok floridas disney beats ours but gotta say our weather beats the humidity there lol.

Discus-n00b
06-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Unless you are used to it like we are down this way. ;) Then going out to California sucks because its like you are one of your discus that have gone carpet surfing.....gasping for air.

Short answer is sure this thing could be held all across North America, its up to local groups to pull it to their city/state so get cracking with the locals for 2016!!

Larry Bugg
06-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Two weeks from today and I will be there!!!!!!!

nwehrman
06-05-2014, 06:49 AM
I'm so excited!!

korbi_doc
06-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Well Barb, still considering that long drive...thinking I can do it, lol

John, I feel the same, has been too long; 2 yrs, tho necessary for preparations, seems so long, lol....can't wait to see you.....

Sweetheart I hope you make it. It has been too long since I have seen you.

-john

That was a great idea Hans...might've worked if Beth was taking the big rig, but just couldn't work it out this time....Beth was great & tried to be helpful, thanks, still hoping to see you there..

Dottie

Dottie, call Beth from Glas Cages 615 446 8877 Tell her I told you to call her. Maybe you can work something out with them, they will drive to the show any how.

No idea if it's possible but give it a shot,

Hans

Jstaabs
06-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Just bought my plane tickets to fly out

John_Nicholson
06-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Just bought my plane tickets to fly out

Great Deal. You will love the show.

-john

Discus-n00b
06-06-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm packed and ready....almost. Still need to add laptop, tripod, some extra batteries and stuff like that. Oh and I guess clothes.....

New toy here as well. DIY flycam/stabilizer. Will bring it assuming I can fine tune it a bit more balance wise. So if you see me walking around with that contraption don't be alarmed.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/Cameragear1_zps3de54e95.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/Cameragear2_zpseb53186c.jpg

yim11
06-06-2014, 11:55 PM
I'm packed and ready....almost. Still need to add laptop, tripod, some extra batteries and stuff like that. Oh and I guess clothes.....

New toy here as well. DIY flycam/stabilizer. Will bring it assuming I can fine tune it a bit more balance wise. So if you see me walking around with that contraption don't be alarmed.

This is why NADA goes with a pro :)

We are in good hands.

Thanks Matt! Looking forward to seeing you soon my friend!

Safe drive,
-jim

Cambik
06-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Matt sounds like we will be in great hands for show pictures.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

musicmarn1
06-07-2014, 06:47 PM
holy crap ! thats a lot of uberness right there.

there is a chance i might not make it *cry* stupid fibromylagia is flaring up and im normally a powerhouse and keep it under control. ive had a few weeks light work (dog training)only due to pain/fatigue/mostly pain.

UGH would be so bummed, got two weeks to try and stop this stupid flare up i was going to drive out there for a fun road trip but no way ill be driving if it keeps up like this and last minute plane ticket will be pricey. though at least that would mean i could get there. stupid disease i thought i had these flare ups under control first one ive had in a long time !

also its exactly the sort of thing - that can pick me up when im not feeling well, but its getting a bit scary close and i couldnt drive 45 mins right now, too poorly. bugger !

musicmarn1
06-07-2014, 06:48 PM
holy crap ! thats a lot of uberness right there.

there is a chance i might not make it *cry* stupid fibromylagia is flaring up and im normally a powerhouse and ive had a few weeks light work (dog training)only UGH would be so bummed, got two weeks to try and stop this stupid flare up i was going to drive out there for a fun road trip but no way ill be driving if it keeps up like this and last minute plane ticket will be pricey. though at least that would mean i could get there. stupid disease i thought i had these flare ups under control first one ive had in a long time !

Disgirl
06-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Marnie I was looking forward to meeting you, I do hope your health will improve so you can go. Take care,
Barb

korbi_doc
06-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Hey Marnie, I know how you feel, having prblms with the trip myself....have to drive 750 or more miles & not sure I can do it by myself...hope you make it, if so, lets get together & we can commiserate, if I can get there too, lol........

Dottie aka Korbi_doc

Marnie I was looking forward to meeting you, I do hope your health will improve so you can go. Take care,
Barb

nwehrman
06-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Marnie and Dottie - I feel your pain. I have Lupus so well understand flares! My doc just laughed at me when I pulled my back two weeks ago and was like - you have three weeks to fix it because I'm not missing this! Daily chiro and I'm good as new two weeks out :). See Rheumy on Tuesday - telling him same thing - no time for a flare! :)

Prayers for both of you! Hopefully everything settles out! So looking forward to meeting/seeing y'all!

vickie52
06-11-2014, 01:15 PM
This is Vickie from Kemp, TX. About 4 hours north of Austin. Are there any ladies who are interested in sharing the cost of their hotel room? That way I might be able to afford staying up till 2:00 am in the bar whooping it up on Ladies Night!

vickie52
06-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Joking as to the partying. Just want to see the fish and those who love them.

yim11
06-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Joking as to the partying. Just want to see the fish and those who love them.

LOL Careful what you say - discus folks aren't scared of a drink or 2 - we actually put the bar hours in our hotel contract to make sure there are no issues with this. :P

korbi_doc
06-11-2014, 08:48 PM
But Vickie, that's when most ppl are busy partying, so go for it!! Lol.....wish I could, but this disable I have causes early crash...but I try, lol....I'm sure that Liz will be right there with you now that she's decided to come with me...just have fun, you'll see lots of fish!!! Dottie

korbi_doc
06-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Hey Jim, so glad You did that, remember last time a few of us ran into that pblm, & after I & cpl of others challenged them , they did decide to stay open for us, lol.......so remember that everyone, & have a great time.....

yim11
06-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Hey Jim, so glad You did that, remember last time a few of us ran into that pblm, & after I & cpl of others challenged them , they did decide to stay open for us, lol.......so remember that everyone, & have a great time.....

That's why we do it now, seems it's common for hotel bars to close before the law in that state requires them to, so we just make sure the hotel understands our needs boozewise and put it in the contract to stay open as long as legally possible just in case they forget lol. We actually got a email from our hotel rep the other day reminding us they would have it open longer and asking if we had any specific liquor requests, obviously I told them "yes, all of them please" so we should be good to go. :p

korbi_doc
06-11-2014, 10:19 PM
YEAH!!!! Go Pres....:balloon::balloon:.....:fish::fish::evilgr in:.....gonna be a fun get together, :thumbsup:

LizStreithorst
06-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Jim, will there be a place where we can drink AND smoke? Will they object to my lovely little imported cigars?

yim11
06-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Jim, will there be a place where we can drink AND smoke? Will they object to my lovely little imported cigars?

I don't think we have any city or town left that [legally] allows smoking inside a public facility, but you can take your drink outside with you when you go smoke, pretty much same as we had at the last show.

See you soon

LizStreithorst
06-11-2014, 11:22 PM
That'll work :)

vickie52
06-11-2014, 11:37 PM
You guys sound like so much fun. I swear if I end up sleeping in my mustang, I'm coming to this event.

yim11
06-12-2014, 12:12 AM
You guys sound like so much fun. I swear if I end up sleeping in my mustang, I'm coming to this event.

LOL

You can be security for fish room and sleep in there!

I think it will work out if you show up :)

JamesP
06-12-2014, 12:24 AM
As I recall Mrs. Buggs was our hero keeping the bar open in Atlanta.

yim11
06-12-2014, 12:27 AM
As I recall Mrs. Buggs was our hero keeping the bar open in Atlanta.

You recall correctly sir.

:)

Larry Bugg
06-12-2014, 12:36 AM
LOL, she will be in Austin. Hopefully her services won't be needed for this.

Jstaabs
06-12-2014, 01:39 AM
I'm liking the sound of this

Skip
06-12-2014, 01:03 PM

good.. she hang out with the My Wife and the rest of the Discus 1st Wives Club :)

yim.. my wife is excited to see Tara again

Larry Bugg
06-12-2014, 01:30 PM
good.. she hang out with the My Wife and the rest of the Discus 1st Wives Club :)

yim.. my wife is excited to see Tara again

Lol, like that........."Discus 1st Wives Club"

Discus-Hans
06-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Should be: Discus Big Bosses Club. (or REAL Bosses)

Hans

nwehrman
06-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Should be: Discus Big Bosses Club. (or REAL Bosses)

Hans

Now see that is great advice -- :)

yim11
06-12-2014, 09:35 PM

That's got my vote as well LOL

Skip - Informe a Rossana Tara está a la espera de verla también. gracias.

vickie52 - you won't sleep in the stang if you show up, we'll make sure of it.

See everyone very soon!!!!

:D

rickztahone
06-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Hey Matt, are those Pelican cases? They look sweet.

Discus-n00b
06-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Hey Matt, are those Pelican cases? They look sweet.

Yes sir! Worth the investment. They are great for travel, toss them in the trunk and don't have to worry about the gear getting smashed. One is for my GoPro stuff the other for DSLR gear. Got a few last minute goodies coming tomorrow camera wise as well (guess I'll soon need more Pelican space), new camera strap, nice little point and shoot I can use for quick video/vlogs as I make my way halfway across the country to the show, backpack so I can carry the gear each day (pelicans are more for travel), extra batters, etc.

musicmarn1
06-13-2014, 02:19 AM
Dicus 1st Wives !! Lololololo

musicmarn1
06-13-2014, 02:20 AM
But we are all second wives.....to discus! :p

JamesP
06-13-2014, 08:54 PM

I think we all owe her a drink for last show. I am looking forward to seeing everyone.

rickztahone
06-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Yes sir! Worth the investment. They are great for travel, toss them in the trunk and don't have to worry about the gear getting smashed. One is for my GoPro stuff the other for DSLR gear. Got a few last minute goodies coming tomorrow camera wise as well (guess I'll soon need more Pelican space), new camera strap, nice little point and shoot I can use for quick video/vlogs as I make my way halfway across the country to the show, backpack so I can carry the gear each day (pelicans are more for travel), extra batters, etc.

Good to know. I really don't travel much, and when we do, we usually drive there with the family. However, a hard case seems to be a great investment. I know when I have done events, I hate carrying the roller, but a hard case might be too heavy for those type of settings. Anyways, just ranting now. Good looking gear. Good luck at the show. Are you planning on doing trigger flash or shoe mounted? Or is that bracket for off-camera flash?

Discus-n00b
06-13-2014, 10:26 PM
I plan to do off camera trigger flash above the show tanks, worked well two years ago. That bracket is actually a homemade flycam/steady cam/gimble whatever you want to call it to get a nice floating smooth image when taking video. I have it set to support the DSLR at the moment but could be used with any camera.

rickztahone
06-13-2014, 10:50 PM
I plan to do off camera trigger flash above the show tanks, worked well two years ago. That bracket is actually a homemade flycam/steady cam/gimble whatever you want to call it to get a nice floating smooth image when taking video. I have it set to support the DSLR at the moment but could be used with any camera.

pretty sweet. Sounds like a cool rig. Can't wait to see your shots.

yim11
06-14-2014, 12:36 AM
About to send the list of names to the printer for the custom badges - register now to make sure you get yours! :)

Thanks!

musicmarn1
06-14-2014, 12:42 AM
makesure mine says in the doghouse *grin*

korbi_doc
06-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Hey Jim, Liz & I will be there!! Have to register today!

John_Nicholson
06-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Cool Deal. Man I can't wait. It is going to be unreal.

-john

BOBT00LS
06-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Registration all done.. See everyone in a few days.

Bob

LizStreithorst
06-14-2014, 05:57 PM
I will register when I arrive. I don't care about having a fancy name tag.

vickie52
06-15-2014, 02:33 AM
If I just drive down and come home late that evening, when is the best day to attend?

For100
06-15-2014, 04:47 AM
I see that the first session starts at 11am Friday. At what time will the show room open? If I am taking the day off I want to squeeze every minute I can. ;)

John_Nicholson
06-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Normally we open the showroom at approximately 8:00...depending somewhat on the activities of the prior night...LOL. Saturday is probably the biggest day.

-john

JamesP
06-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Starting to get the styro boxes and coolers organized for the drive down. I am not looking forward to the 1200 miles but I am looking forward to seeing everyone in Austin. I can't wait to see what fish everyone is bringing.

Discus-n00b
06-15-2014, 10:38 AM
I am not looking forward to the 1200 miles but I am looking forward to seeing everyone in Austin. I can't wait to see what fish everyone is bringing.

You and me both on that point lol

musicmarn1
06-15-2014, 01:28 PM
im excited only 9 hours driving for me too, wooohooooo !! im feeling a little better so i think ill make it :balloon::p so FREAKING EXCITED to be there, to meet everyone is going to be a real pleasure. To see holy crap on toast fish is going to be like Christmas, best of all to learn more from the speakers and all the converstations........sighs happily !!

Second Hand Pat
06-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Marnie, great to hear you are going to make it :)

LizStreithorst
06-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Will anyone there have a charger that fits a battery charger for a Nikon D-80? I'm hoping that it's my charger that's broken, not my camera itself.

Marnie, I'll be the old short one with long grey hair.

Second Hand Pat
06-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Liz, I am bring my Nikon D7000. I will be happy to charge your batteries if the two cameras use the same battery.

Chicago Discus
06-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Pajama party anyone :p

LizStreithorst
06-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Thank you, Pat.

Second Hand Pat
06-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Josie, you're the only one who runs around in PJs silly girl

You're more than welcome Liz :)

LizStreithorst
06-15-2014, 05:33 PM
My summer pj's is a thread bare huge man's T shirt with holes in it. I'll have to pass.

Chicago Discus
06-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Josie, you're the only one who runs around in PJs silly girl

You're more than welcome Liz :)

LOL.....Thats true

LizStreithorst
06-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Josie, you're a hoot. Who knows? When the time comes I might be ready for a pajama party.

John_Nicholson
06-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Well I just sleep in my drawers but since 2 of my kids will be at the hotel I will have to pass this time....LOL.

-john

Chicago Discus
06-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Well I just sleep in my drawers but since 2 of my kids will be at the hotel I will have to pass this time....LOL.

-john

My Sons going he's use to me in PJs its part of my wardrobe. I can't remember what member dared me to make a video in PJs but here it is......The one and only cleaning beef-heart in her Pjs......LOL.......Josie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=623P2WBvKac

Josie, you're a hoot. Who knows? When the time comes I might be ready for a pajama party.

Liz, its fun you just don't get dressed......LOL

Second Hand Pat
06-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Liz, its fun you just don't get dressed......LOL

Well, you're dressed Josie...just in your night clothes. ;)

LizStreithorst
06-15-2014, 08:12 PM
The rest of we girls will miss you, John. Please reconsider.

Skip
06-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Remember. . The NEXT SHOW..is in 2016.. every 2 years. Jus a reminder for people on the fence about coming

yim11
06-15-2014, 10:54 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/weird-wild-stuff-to-be-found-in-austin-88305347617.html

Larry Bugg
06-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Starting to get the styro boxes and coolers organized for the drive down. I am not looking forward to the 1200 miles but I am looking forward to seeing everyone in Austin. I can't wait to see what fish everyone is bringing.

You have me beat. 993 miles for me. Google maps says 15 hours and 1 minute. At least I gain an hour on the trip over, lol.

Chicago Discus
06-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Im 1120.04 miles away......Josie

JamesP
06-16-2014, 03:37 PM
You have me beat. 993 miles for me. Google maps says 15 hours and 1 minute. At least I gain an hour on the trip over, lol.
Larry I don't know about you but my backside does not recognize time zone changes. Have a safe trip and I will see you Thursday. I am bringing 4 proven pairs and a few grow outs so I will have 6 or more boxes.

Discus-n00b
06-16-2014, 04:05 PM
1,143 for me. I'll be leaving the house at 2-3am Weds, though I won't be pulling into Austin until Thursday after a stop for the night.

Larry Bugg
06-16-2014, 04:25 PM
I'm using 5 gallon buckets. Two discus per bucket. I've traveled with them this way before. This time though I'm going to use a pump and air stones in the buckets. Just got finished testing my Jehmco pump on the converter in the van. Ran like a charm. I have a manifold with 10 outlets on it, pump will handle 35 but should only need about 8 for Chad and I both. Chad is bringing a pump also. This way we can run the pumps in our rooms Wed night and Thursday until the tanks are ready. Will have the pump on hand in case we need it for back up during the Show.

Leaving early Wed morning and hopefully will arrive at the Hotel around 9:00 - 10:00.

John_Nicholson
06-16-2014, 04:33 PM
As Larry can testify the best way to save the drive is to sponsor/put on the show.......

-john

Discus-Hans
06-16-2014, 04:46 PM
John lol

Larry, I wouldn't put 2 in a bucket, they probably will lay down in transport and they will end up on top of each other and hurt or scratch them.

Make sure there is no sharp point at the middle inside of the bottom. Some buckets have those. Sand them down if there are any, it can cut your Discus.

Hans

Disgirl
06-16-2014, 05:33 PM
I wish I could drive the 1800 miles, but have to fly unfortunately. Flying isn't fun anymore is it? Seems that way. My boxes of cones and caves are already there thank goodness, hope they aren't broken by FedEx. I will see soon.
Barb

Skip
06-16-2014, 05:45 PM
As Larry can testify the best way to save the drive is to sponsor/put on the show.......

-john

atlanta 2016??

JamesP
06-16-2014, 08:05 PM
I am bagging them one large fish per box using heavy bag liners with Oxygen. Overkill I know but since they will be boxed for at least 26 hours I figured they would be less stressed this way and no need for a pump. If I was shipping it would be an entirely different method. As Hans mentioned I don't want to have them together where they can damage each other. I stopped feeding them this morning so by Wednesday afternoon they will be ready to bag up.

Chad Adams
06-16-2014, 10:04 PM
atlanta 2016??

Good Grief!!

JamesP
06-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Good Grief!!

What Larry is retired and you two have the experience : )

Discus-Hans
06-16-2014, 10:36 PM
1294 miles straight line, my pilot knows the way......... I hope,

Hans

Discus-Hans
06-16-2014, 10:40 PM
For 2016, wasn't there a Virginia group who was going to do the show????

Hans

Larry Bugg
06-16-2014, 11:37 PM
For 2016, wasn't there a Virginia group who was going to do the show????

Hans

Now that would get my vote!!!!

musicmarn1
06-16-2014, 11:39 PM
I'm using 5 gallon buckets. Two discus per bucket. I've traveled with them this way before. This time though I'm going to use a pump and air stones in the buckets. Just got finished testing my Jehmco pump on the converter in the van. Ran like a charm. I have a manifold with 10 outlets on it, pump will handle 35 but should only need about 8 for Chad and I both. Chad is bringing a pump also. This way we can run the pumps in our rooms Wed night and Thursday until the tanks are ready. Will have the pump on hand in case we need it for back up during the Show.

Leaving early Wed morning and hopefully will arrive at the Hotel around 9:00 - 10:00.

Larry i want to come out and see your car set up please !! i was originally driving and wanted to figure out how to drive with them like that :) flying i presume, is a box, heat packs and bag of fish inside - same as shipping?

oh and 2016 i vote for Florida !!:p

Discus-Hans
06-17-2014, 12:18 AM
Marnie,

the point is not where, but WHO wants to do it.

In all 3 shows I was, some how, a little involved, again most just a little and............ it drove me nuts already lol lol

Hans

nwehrman
06-17-2014, 12:19 AM
:) but it's been an adventure :)

yim11
06-17-2014, 12:23 AM
:bomb:

John_Nicholson
06-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Hey got a question for ya'll....does anyone REALIZE HOW CLOSE WE ARE TO NADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I can't wait. This thing is going to be huge!

-john

Skip
06-17-2014, 04:24 PM
i am taking tomorrow off!! :)

extra day to get ready!

Discus-n00b
06-17-2014, 04:28 PM
I can't believe its already here, June flew by. Looking forward to seeing everyone! T-minus 10-11hrs until I head out!!

Chad Adams
06-17-2014, 04:39 PM
I can't believe its already here, June flew by. Looking forward to seeing everyone! T-minus 10-11hrs until I head out!!

Matt,

PM me your phone number, we'll give you a shout tomorrow when we are on the road

Discus-n00b
06-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Sounds good Chad, PM coming.

John_Nicholson
06-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Sounds good Chad, PM coming.

You drive careful.

-john

Discus-n00b
06-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Will do and thanks John! My main concern is watching out for all of the other crazies on the road.

John_Nicholson
06-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Leaving work here in about 4 hours.....getting in a NADA frame of mind.......

-john

Discusdude7
06-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Wondering if there is any way to acquire show fish if you can't to to NADA? Just curious..

John_Nicholson
06-18-2014, 08:59 AM
You would have to find someone at the show that would buy the fish and then ship it for you. Hell Southwest flies from Orlando...jump a flight to Austin and pick out your own. You will not regret it.

-john

JamesP
06-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Drive begins in 4 hours. I hope to be there by 2:00 tomorrow. Can't wait to get going.

John_Nicholson
06-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Looking forward to seeing you again. Be careful on your trip.

-john

pcsb23
06-18-2014, 12:07 PM
So .... what's this NADA thing all about then? Maybe I should come along ..... :evilgrin:

Discusdude7
06-18-2014, 12:51 PM
You would have to find someone at the show that would buy the fish and then ship it for you. Hell Southwest flies from Orlando...jump a flight to Austin and pick out your own. You will not regret it.

-john

Thanks john, wish I could come for Austin, sounds like it's gonna be really fun. Maybe I'll make it for 2016 :).

John_Nicholson
06-18-2014, 12:58 PM
So .... what's this NADA thing all about then? Maybe I should come along ..... :evilgrin:

LOL.....For that first rounds on Paul.......

-john

musicmarn1
06-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Wooooiohoiooooioi almost time I get up at 3pm and will be in Austin by 11am, can I come help set up?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

musicmarn1
06-18-2014, 03:06 PM
3 am can't edit on phone lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

John_Nicholson
06-18-2014, 03:23 PM
We can always use the help.

-john

Discus-n00b
06-18-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm making good time. Started out at around 2:30AM. I've already spent some time walking around a Bass Pro Shops in Jackson Mississippi (impulse decision but worth it.) now I'm sitting at a Wendy's in Shreveport watching the B-52 bombers do high speed low passes on Barksdale AFB. So far the drive has been much easier than i originally thought. Apart from some bigger metro areas traffic has been a non factor. Anyone traveling through Louisiana on 20 SLOW DOWN, cops everywhere. Im getting great gas milage for a Hemi too ;). Going to be crossing over into Texas soon to see some crazy man named John.

I heard through the grapevine setup might happen today? Any word on this? I was planning on helping on Thursday once I got there.

John_Nicholson
06-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Sounds great Matt. See you in 2 1/2 hours.

Lots of the setup will be happening tonight so hopefully when we get there it will be done.

-john

Larry Bugg
06-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Dang road construction has been horrible.Juat now in Gulfport. Quick stop in the big easy.in one hour and then next stop is Austin.Probably close to midnight.

We may have an easy day tomorrow Matt. If everything goes as planned the Showroom will be up tonight.

Skip
06-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Picking up a few things before heading to the hotel...

sdrexler078
06-18-2014, 08:29 PM
I am so excited I can't wait. I wish my wife could have gotten out of school so I could leave tomorrow but I guess Friday morning is better than not being able to make it at all.

John_Nicholson
06-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Looking forward to meeting you.

-john

Florida Discus
06-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Marion will be flying into Austin in the morning with Simply's very own Second Hand Pat. Meanwhile, the Florida Discus show fish and sale fish were packed today and are being driven to Austin as we speak. If all goes well they should arrive a few hours after Marion. Please stop and say hello if you see her!

I hope everyone attending has a great time. I will be living vicariously through everyone posting pictures and updates.

Thanks,
Ryan

musicmarn1
06-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Picking up a few things before heading to the hotel...

K Skip got the margaritas PHEW, now all we need is the fish, can we camp out by the fish together and drool? *im a HUGE freaking kid and want to roast smores by the discus tanks please* im in my PJ's now and cant sleep waiting for my plane.

if your not coming....*rasberry* ima take video and silly pictures and you will want to roast your own face when im done mwahahah

korbi_doc
06-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Wow! Wish y'all could be here!! Liz & I drove from Ms & Tn, & it's much fun to see everyone....Paul Butler is today's speaker.... Now I can raise a show discus, lol...glad I made it guys...come on down, lol

Dottie

Discus-Hans
06-20-2014, 04:56 PM
In a few hours I will leave Dottie looking forward to see you again. I send my fish ahead lol

Hans

Skip
06-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Hans. Fish are fine and traveled well

Discus-Hans
06-20-2014, 05:01 PM
Hans. Fish are fine and traveled well

Thanks Skip!!! You like them lol most a little small lol

Hans

Wes
06-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks Skip!!! You like them lol most a little small lol

Hans

Hans don't worry. I heard every thing looks bigger in Texas.

Discus-Hans
06-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Hans don't worry. I heard every thing looks bigger in Texas.

Lol

Hans