PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on this Red Melon

kkdiscus
04-06-2014, 05:49 AM
Hi,

What do you think of the quality of this Red Melon? It is around 5" size.

http://shashinki.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/20140406_153856.jpg

Argentum
04-06-2014, 06:44 AM
I am not an expert, but it looks nice to me, its round, no beak, red eye.
There is this tiny white spot on the side, also the red coloration has some areas of light colors but in reds this could be their mood and can be enhanced by food.
Some people will comment on the black peppering on the tips of the fins and tail to be a negative point, personally I love the black tips against the red body as long as it is in the fins only.

timmy82
04-06-2014, 08:04 AM
It is ok the eyes are good. The eye to body ratio seem ok but maybe a little off as body seems a touch long. Coloration is ok but there are many interpritations of a red melon and I like the white face veriety. Just the over all apearance is ok too but it doesn't seem to look alert and happy but could be just the picture too. Over all I would rate it as a mid grade melon nothing too flash but ok. Not trying to be too hard but trying to present a open opinion for your question.

John does well in the grading for show but this one might not bring a great score if that is what you are after?

kkdiscus
04-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi Argentum,

The white dot on the body is actually reflections from the glass, the body has no white spot. Quite perfect I would say, but not very red.

Hi Timmy,

I like honest opinion, thanks. This fish is at my local fish store, I didn't bought it. I was thinking of buying, but want opinions first. The fish is quite active swimming in the tank. The only thing refrain me from buying is the shape and also the red and white not as obviously separated.

John_Nicholson
04-06-2014, 11:45 AM
All in all it was an average fish at best. Nothing great, nothing bad. Since it was at thr LFS we do not know its age. If young it could have improved with age. If it was grown it was just ok.

-john

kkdiscus
04-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Hi John,

Thanks for the opinion. :)