PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a total beginner

Luvztigger
04-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Hi everyone,
New to this forum and to discus keeping. I have been keeping fresh water community tanks for 5-6 years now, so not too novice on that one. However, I wanted to start with one discus and if successful, maybe go to 2 or 3. Here is what I have learned from reading the posts but please feel free to give more pointers. I am sure I will need it. I got a juvenile, around 1.5- 2''. Right now, he is in a 20g by himself.
1) Would like to keep my discus in a community tank, but I have read its not a good idea, b/c they are shy and don't compete well.
2) water changes 3-4 per week
3) no plants in the tank? not even water wisteria?
4) how about gravel? or should I go completely bare?
5) food? breeder fed pellets and blood worms, so should I just keep doing that?

I am sure there are more...

Udeservit
04-07-2014, 10:01 PM
1. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?110113-BEST-TANK-MATE-FOR-DISCUS . I have cory doras and cardinals with no problems. The idea is to minimize diseases, and to give your fish a less stressful environment, less species of fish is best.
2. Water Changes can vary on how many fish and/ size. 3-4 per week sounds ok but make them big. Babies do better with daily water changes.
3.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?59346-These-plants-have-worked-for-me-in-a-discus-tank-(photos)
Discus require warm temps that many plants cannot thrive in. There is also many different opinions on Barebottom versus Planted tanks. If you want a planted tank there is a section here you can spend some time in.
4. Gravel can be hard to keep clean.Cory Doras wiskers prefer sand too. An inch or less of Sand is much easier to maintain. Pool filter sand seems to be a popular choice here on the forum beside bare bottom. I personally have sand. Again many differing opinions here.
5. My local breeder only feeds bloodworms and brine shrimp, but the options are endless. Variety is the most important from what i've learned and a High protein diet which fouls the water faster than other freshwater fish foods ( just one reason for frequent water changes). Beef heart, black worms (my favourite to feed), whiteworms, flake, pellets.... There is a section on food here too!!

What size is your community tank?
Just like cory doras these guys do better in large groups.
I started with 3 and have big bullying issues. 5-6 is the recommended minimum for ultimate discus happiness. Spreading out the aggression.

Welcome to the forum, and read the stickies a little more they are better than any book out there.

timmy82
04-07-2014, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=Luvztigger;1083494]Hi everyone,
New to this forum and to discus keeping. I have been keeping fresh water community tanks for 5-6 years now, so not too novice on that one. However, I wanted to start with one discus and if successful, maybe go to 2 or 3. Here is what I have learned from reading the posts but please feel free to give more pointers. I am sure I will need it. I got a juvenile, around 1.5- 2''. Right now, he is in a 20g by himself

Ok 1 discus doesn't work out well you need to start with atleast 5+ if you are getting them at 2". The 20g will be fine for 5 till they 3" or so and then need a 50g. The best way to grow young is BB tank and only a filter and heater. 90% daily water chnages. I stay away from blood worm it isn't very good for them. I feed BH and FDBW as well as a high protien dry to fill the gaps. they get at least 6 feeds a day as well as cleans and water changes to coincide with the feeding. If you don't want to clean and change water so much simple don't feed as much

1) Would like to keep my discus in a community tank, but I have read its not a good idea, b/c they are shy and don't compete well.

I would get the young to adult size / age which can vary from 4" if stunted and had a poor start - 6"+ if had good food and water. Then I would add them to a comunity tank

2) water changes 3-4 per week

If young and trying to grow 90% daily or more. If adult the above will be ok but still in reasonable volume I aim for 1/3 the tank daily with adults or if in comunity tank they get the 3 a week depending on the load I don't stock very high in a comunity situation.

3) no plants in the tank? not even water wisteria?

Plants are ok

4) how about gravel? or should I go completely bare?

BB is easiest and best to keep clean and less issues.

5) food? breeder fed pellets and blood worms, so should I just keep doing that?

I don't use blood worms only a small feeding maybe once a month if that for something different. FDBW & BH are the main along with BH flake and dry granuals.

All the feed back is from my experience and it all depends on your circumstances and what you wish to achieve out of discus. They are able to be kept with less than the above but their health and growth maybe comprimised and if your happy with that then you are the one that has to be please. Just be open minded to others comments as some are pretty strict and by the book with how discus should be kept.

Udeservit
04-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Well said Timmy

tonytheboss1
04-09-2014, 12:13 PM
:bandana: First -hello & welcome. Second - due continue to read particularly the stickies at the top of this section. It will answer many of your questions beforehand. Now your approach to wanting to raise discus is not the best. Starting w/ a small group (4 or 5) will give you a much better chance for success. W/C's will need increase to daily or every other at the least. B/B is best for babies & as they grow you may consider adding them to your main setup (planted, gravel, sand etc.) Food is subjective but a well rounded diet is best. Take your time & continue to research. "T"