PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Discus not playing well with new friends.

metsfan421
04-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have had a single discus in a 75 gallon tank for about two months now and he's been fine. I decided to add 5 new discus in the tank with him today, and I had to eventually take him out and place him in my 90 gallon tank because of his relentless attacks on the new discus (some were smaller, but most were same size or larger than him). Once I took him out and placed him in the other tank which has similar parameters 82 degrees, PH of 6.6-6.7, ect. the discus I had put in the 75 gallon came out and were fine with each other (no bullying).

1.) was he doing this because he's used to being alone and this was "his" tank and he doesn't want any new visitors

2.) should I have just left him in the tank to annoy the other new discus and he would eventually stop this behavior? (I was worried about doing this since the new discus were just taken from another tank and didn't want any additional stress added to them today)

3.) Should I just leave them separated like I have them now because he'll never change his ways. LoL

I appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks!

John_Nicholson
04-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Eddie if you look through the beginners section this question gets asked about 5 times a week. All cichlids establish a pecking order. Once they do things settle down a little. I would suggest putting him back with the other 5.

-john

metsfan421
04-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Understood, thanks for the information. But one question, if they need to establish a pecking order, why do the 5 that are now together leave each other alone? Wouldn't or shouldn't they be attacking each other then?

Second Hand Pat
04-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Your five discus already have an established peaking order and welcome to Simply Eddie.
Pat

musicmarn1
04-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Does not mean he wont kill them, no guaruntee, just normal behavior:alien: but should settle down, if not use egg crate di ider until he calms down a bit

Rudustin
04-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Those of us that have kept discus for a while have dealt with this issue for a long time. Discus are cichlids and they are very territorial and do set a pecking order. I have three large adult snow white discus that are a new addition to my discus family. I received one from a sponsor a couple of weeks ago along with a sibling and unfortunately the one of them did not make the trip and died but the other one survived quite well. This particular one was so spectacular that I knew that the sponsor had two more and before someone else took them I decided I would purchase the other two. After quarantine of all three, two together and one by it's self, I put them in their own tank and of course the largest and the first started beating up the other two. It has been a week and now the three of them have set invisible boundaries that have kept the three of them plus some silver pigeons tranquil and relatively peaceful. I would take John's advice and simply put the alpha fish in with the other and with time it will quiet down. Good luck and try not to worry. They will work it out.

metsfan421
04-15-2014, 02:44 AM
I added three more discus today, two smaller ones and one slightly larger one. Immediately the Alpha in question started bothering them as well.. I figured adding more discus to the tank would cause less stress on all of them as a whole. Hopefully they don't get stressed and get sick. I have the tank at 83, this should be ok for them right?

beastroy
04-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Set up a 20 gallon tank and keep the big bullie there for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks you can put your alpha discus back to the main tank to join the rest of your other discus. By this time the alpha male will no longer be the boss instead he will feel like a new noob.

Is best to try keeping same size discus in your tank.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk