PDA

View Full Version : discus fish quantity

calvinlow
04-13-2014, 09:05 AM
I having 180 gallon of aquarium and how many estimate quantity of discus fish should I have? Does the nos of discus fish will effected the aquarium environment such stress or other disease?

jaykne
04-13-2014, 10:21 AM
A good rule of thumb is 1 adult discus per 10g, that is if there is no other fish or stuff in the tank. Yes the number of fish does have an affect, to small of number and some will get picked on to much. To many fish affects water quality, growth rate, ext..

Nick Klimkowski
04-13-2014, 10:29 PM
A good rule of thumb is 1 adult discus per 10g, that is if there is no other fish or stuff in the tank. Yes the number of fish does have an affect, to small of number and some will get picked on to much. To many fish affects water quality, growth rate, ext..

Larry is right, how often do you plan on doing water changes?

belvius
05-13-2014, 12:18 PM
I dont mean to hijack this thread, but I have 10 discus in a 75 g BB tank with nothing else in it and I do 30% WC every other day. Will that be acceptable?

rickztahone
05-13-2014, 12:36 PM
I dont mean to hijack this thread, but I have 10 discus in a 75 g BB tank with nothing else in it and I do 30% WC every other day. Will that be acceptable?

I do not believe so Jeff. Increase your WC routine.

To OP, your question was answered well by Larry. In a 180 with other fish/substrate/hardscape I would put no more than 15, preferably 12 (IMO)

Elliots
05-13-2014, 03:39 PM
What size and how old are the Discus? If the Discus are young and smaller, less fish to allow them to grow. If the Discus are older and finished growing, more fish. The guide of one Discus per ten gallons of water should be followed more closely in a smaller (55-75 gal) tank with Discus but when the tank gets larger, like 180 gal, you can safely excede that number I think. I am thinking of 5-6 1/2" Discus, adjust the numbers depending on the size of the Discus.

belvius
05-13-2014, 11:54 PM
What size and how old are the Discus? If the Discus are young and smaller, less fish to allow them to grow. If the Discus are older and finished growing, more fish. The guide of one Discus per ten gallons of water should be followed more closely in a smaller (55-75 gal) tank with Discus but when the tank gets larger, like 180 gal, you can safely excede that number I think. I am thinking of 5-6 1/2" Discus, adjust the numbers depending on the size of the Discus.

They are all 5" and I have had them for about 6 months now