PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy eye from injury?

wild-blue-discus
04-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

discus fish jumped through a tiny gap in a holding tanks lid and spend some time on land (out of the water), cant have been more than 15min, but understandably the fish was pretty lucky i saw it when i did

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

initallly when it when back in it floated for a while but resumed its perky attitude within 1 hour, this was about a week ago, a few days ago it started developing cloudy eyes, everything else is fine, its colored up and fins are fully extended. however i noticed today that appears to be acting like the blindness is getting worse

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Fugal cure(malachite green and methylene blue + arifavene) added some salt

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

6 fish in holding tank

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

this tank was getting 90% but has been reduced back to 50% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

6months bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

no ph swing, water is filtered

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 29

- ph 6.8

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____ carbon filtered

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

http://i62.tinypic.com/25u0jt4.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/287klt5.jpg

not the best pics but preety hard to take pics with green water

pcsb23
04-16-2014, 01:14 AM
Am away from my pc so cannot see the pics, not sure why you added a med though, pretty sure just clean water is all that would be needed. Sometimes the eye gets abraded when discus do what they do, some heal, some don't.

wild-blue-discus
04-16-2014, 01:18 AM
Its been there for the past few days, i thought nice clean water would do the trick as well but looks bad and the fish has started weird in the past few hours, ie it will have a lay down on its side but giver it a nudge and its up looking great apart from the crusty looking cloudy eyes, figured i'd it was something fungal in the beginning but know i suspect bacterial, i only does because I'm kind of attached to this one, it has one of the best blue shares i have seen for a very long time...i want it to live and be cool

Am away from my pc so cannot see the pics, not sure why you added a med though, pretty sure just clean water is all that would be needed. Sometimes the eye gets abraded when discus do what they do, some heal, some don't.

wild-blue-discus
04-16-2014, 06:13 PM
looks bacterial,, time for the serious stuff

Its been there for the past few days, i thought nice clean water would do the trick as well but looks bad and the fish has started weird in the past few hours, ie it will have a lay down on its side but giver it a nudge and its up looking great apart from the crusty looking cloudy eyes, figured i'd it was something fungal in the beginning but know i suspect bacterial, i only does because I'm kind of attached to this one, it has one of the best blue shares i have seen for a very long time...i want it to live and be cool

pcsb23
04-17-2014, 05:55 AM
OK, I'm back at a pc where I can see the pics, and yep they are not the best. Even with the pics I'm guessing, it may well be bacterial. If you can get a good broad spectrum antibiotic it may help, but as I say I'm guessing. Not to be harsh but I'd question if it was worth the expense.

wild-blue-discus
04-17-2014, 08:22 AM
yep i figured that's what is was, started a treatment 24 hours ago... why do you say that?

OK, I'm back at a pc where I can see the pics, and yep they are not the best. Even with the pics I'm guessing, it may well be bacterial. If you can get a good broad spectrum antibiotic it may help, but as I say I'm guessing. Not to be harsh but I'd question if it was worth the expense.

pcsb23
04-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Sorry I was typing without thinking, basically the fish isn't the highest quality.

kkdiscus
04-17-2014, 11:36 AM
My discus have cloudy eyes when I apply medicine in the tank, especially when I overdose it. However, the eyes clear up within a week after I changed the water.

I am not sure if your cloudy eye is same as my discus or not. It is not just a spot, but whole eyes getting cloudy on the outside.

wild-blue-discus
04-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Yep I've seen that before. but this was not a water change or medicine issue, it had been going on for about a week but progressively getting worse, a dose of antibiotics is clearing it up

My discus have cloudy eyes when I apply medicine in the tank, especially when I overdose it. However, the eyes clear up within a week after I changed the water.

I am not sure if your cloudy eye is same as my discus or not. It is not just a spot, but whole eyes getting cloudy on the outside.

wild-blue-discus
04-18-2014, 02:12 AM
LOL if i killed of every fish that looked like this one does at 4.5 months old I'd have no fish

Sorry I was typing without thinking, basically the fish isn't the highest quality.