PDA

View Full Version : Do discus become more round with age?

vadyao
04-17-2014, 01:20 AM
So im new with discus and so far i have all juvies less than 3 inches. They are healthy and all but their face/nose seems too pointed like that of a football. DO discus become more round as the grow and develop flat foreheads like the show fish we see. I also have a few juvies under an inch and they look like miniature footballs, not round circles. Any one know from experience? I do daily water changes, multiple WCs, and perfect water perimeters ?

Udeservit
04-17-2014, 09:57 AM
I don't know this but I'm interested too. Maybe you tube baby discus and see?

Trier20
04-17-2014, 10:11 AM
LOTS of quality food and lots of fresh water daily. You will have to invest a lot of hard work into those footballs depending how old they are.

-Brandon

Larry Bugg
04-17-2014, 10:15 AM
So im new with discus and so far i have all juvies less than 3 inches. They are healthy and all but their face/nose seems too pointed like that of a football. DO discus become more round as the grow and develop flat foreheads like the show fish we see. I also have a few juvies under an inch and they look like miniature footballs, not round circles. Any one know from experience? I do daily water changes, multiple WCs, and perfect water perimeters ?

In another post (about QT) you stated that you have had discus for a year and in this post you say you are new to discus. Are the 3" and 1" discus that are football shape a year old? How old are the discus you are asking about?

Skip
04-17-2014, 10:22 AM
How old are the discus you are asking about?

actually better question would be How long has OP Had them..??

OP.. have you actually but a ruler to them.. or just GUESStimating.. ?

John_Nicholson
04-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Baby discus start out looking like any other baby fish. They do round out with age but there is a limit.Most of their shape will materialize in the first 4 or 5 months.

-john

kkdiscus
04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I do find mine getting more round when they grow.

trungnguyen
04-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Mine has gotten rounder after a year with super feeding and doing WC...

Trung.

Quintin
04-17-2014, 05:52 PM
It depends but ive had 3 grow out nice and plump

vadyao
04-17-2014, 11:44 PM
I have 2 different discus tanks. The football shaped ones are the 1'' discus. Btw very good detective skills to put the two contradictory statements together :shocked:

vadyao
04-17-2014, 11:46 PM
actually better question would be How long has OP Had them..??

OP.. have you actually but a ruler to them.. or just GUESStimating.. ?

*** is OP? and im just guesstimating, dont have the time to grab my ruler and stopwatch

Second Hand Pat
04-17-2014, 11:52 PM
OP is Original Poster ie the person who started the thread.

dghby
04-18-2014, 08:57 AM
from my little bit of experience in growing out juvies, I would agree that they seem to take hold of their shape in the first few months.
my latest group came to me at 2.5 to 3 inches, you can see their development in the link below. like most have said with daily WC's
and plenty of food you should notice a difference after 2 months, IMO.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?111723-Hans-Snakeskins

Keith Perkins
04-18-2014, 09:21 AM
I have 2 different discus tanks. The football shaped ones are the 1'' discus. Btw very good detective skills to put the two contradictory statements together :shocked:

Baby discus start out looking like any other baby fish. They do round out with age but there is a limit.Most of their shape will materialize in the first 4 or 5 months.

-john

What John said. If they're only an inch or so now they're going to change a LOT in the next few months.

Larry Bugg
04-18-2014, 10:30 AM
What John said. If they're only an inch or so now they're going to change a LOT in the next few months.

Absolutely correct, but keep in mind that we were asking about the age of the fish for a reason. If the 1" are 3 or 4 months old then they are way behind on their development as compared to 1" that are one month old and on track. In order to answer your original question this data is very pertinent.

musicmarn1
04-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Im new to discus and im at the 15 month with 22 discus and fry mark :o:p. Im calling myself new until I have a lot more savvy and some 8" plus fry to finish under my belt......;)

Are your discus german or asian? I might be wrong but I see a difference in pictures I study here, german growing rounder a little later but also getting huge in the process or maybe that was just Toni's magic:)

Post pics if you can, if you want to risk blunt appraisal from these guys *grin*

vadyao
04-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Im new to discus and im at the 15 month with 22 discus and fry mark :o:p. Im calling myself new until I have a lot more savvy and some 8" plus fry to finish under my belt......;)

Are your discus german or asian? I might be wrong but I see a difference in pictures I study here, german growing rounder a little later but also getting huge in the process or maybe that was just Toni's magic:)

Post pics if you can, if you want to risk blunt appraisal from these guys *grin*

I got my discus from joe gargas so i have no clue. My other 2 juvies are from the LFS