PDA

View Full Version : What Strain is this?

kkdiscus
04-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Can someone identify the strain of this discus? It is about 3.5" length.

http://shashinki.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/20140418_160009.jpg

I love the shape, but not sure how it is going to grow to be (colour) later.

Will you bring it home?

nc0gnet0
04-19-2014, 08:01 AM
I can't tell you the strain name, but from what I can see it is.......

a) high bodied
b) A SS
c) appears to be a cross between a red SS and an RSG

as to what it is, or what it might be, hard to tell at this stage. I like the spotting, but am not a big fan of the head/mouth region of the fish (typical on high bodied fish)

Would I buy it? I might. I would however have a specific reason for it. first, I would give a hard look at what appears to be some of it's siblings in the background and pick which one had the best shape of the bunch, while still possessing the spotting.

What breeder does your local LFS purchase their fish from?

(It "might" be a sunrise eruption)

-Rick

John_Nicholson
04-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Agree with Rick. The mouth is jacked but otherwise it will probably turn into a cool fish.

-john

kkdiscus
04-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi Rick and John,

You mean the > shape right above the mouth?

nc0gnet0
04-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi Rick and John,

You mean the > shape right above the mouth?

If you were to draw a vertical line from its first hard ray down to the beginning of its pectoral fin, everything to the left of that line. A lot of people like this high bodied/bulldog look, John and I are not big fans. As for the pattern, I am intrigued.

-Rick

kkdiscus
04-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Hi Rick,

I got what you mean now. Thanks. :)

kkdiscus
04-20-2014, 08:59 PM
I can't get rid of this fish from my mind, so I went to the fish store yesterday and brought it home, together with another same strain one that is of similar shape. :)

I think they have bulldog gene in them, as the vertical black lines at the eyes are > shape. Under better lighting, the fish shows shinning blue at fins. Will share some photos later.

jsgmpv
04-20-2014, 09:44 PM
I do like the look of it, would love to see some pictures of the set-up and the tank buddies that you have there already.

kkdiscus
04-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Hi Jonathan,

I put them in a 65L quarantine tank at the moment. They seems really happy and active in the tank, which I think is good to let them there for a few weeks, before letting them joining the crowds in the 220L tank.

This is the one that shown in the pic above.
http://shashinki.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/KKK_6893.jpg

This is a new one that I bought together, as I think the shape is nice too.
http://shashinki.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/a-funny-aeroplane-with-eyes-and-big-smile-coloring-pages.jpg

jmf3460
04-21-2014, 12:33 PM
I think they are really pretty. Different than what you normally see good for you for giving them a nice home

kkdiscus
04-21-2014, 07:47 PM
I think they are really pretty. Different than what you normally see good for you for giving them a nice home

Thanks, Jack!

GeauxDiscus
04-21-2014, 10:39 PM
I think I may move to Malaysia. I'll try to buy a house as close to a giant discus fish farm as possible.

rickztahone
04-22-2014, 12:01 AM
I am very curious to see how these would look as adults. Subscribed..

kkdiscus
04-22-2014, 02:57 AM
I think I may move to Malaysia. I'll try to buy a house as close to a giant discus fish farm as possible.

In Johor alone, we have Forrest Discus and Ricky Discus farm less than an hour drive from where I live.

I am very curious to see how these would look as adults. Subscribed..

Thanks for the interest! I hope I can grow them well!

jmf3460
04-22-2014, 08:28 AM
yes please do keep us updated with pictures as often as possible. ive subscribed too

GeauxDiscus
04-22-2014, 10:20 PM
In Johor alone, we have Forrest Discus and Ricky Discus farm less than an hour drive from where I live.

I am jealous. :waaa:

Ryan
04-23-2014, 12:22 AM
The second one was does have a better mouth/face shape. Their color is interesting, though, so it'll be nice to see how they develop.

musicmarn1
04-23-2014, 12:53 AM
wow i really like these ….i need to get my rsg to my ss pronto !! lol i thought i didnt like bulldog gene, but thanks to lawrence and lots of education here, i love the high bodied, round results, i prefer not to have the face effect lol but im totally open to culling any that look like that and reap benefits of the high body as seen here, i really like THESE fish for sure ! good score !

kkdiscus
04-23-2014, 09:26 AM
The second one was does have a better mouth/face shape. Their color is interesting, though, so it'll be nice to see how they develop.

I hope they are a pair (small chance), and hope the colour will grow more later. :)

wow i really like these ….i need to get my rsg to my ss pronto !! lol i thought i didnt like bulldog gene, but thanks to lawrence and lots of education here, i love the high bodied, round results, i prefer not to have the face effect lol but im totally open to culling any that look like that and reap benefits of the high body as seen here, i really like THESE fish for sure ! good score !

Yeah, thanks to Lawrence too I start to appreciate bulldog gene now, though at this moment I am not after one yet (I have a chance of getting one few days ago at good price, but I don't have the urge like what I have on these two).

I think these two are the best shapes (not colour) that I have at the moment, among the 29 discus that I currently own. They are not just high body, but more of a round shape. :p