PDA

View Full Version : Raising juvies in BB - need advice!

mmdiscus1
04-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Hi guys!
Some may now me from my planted tank thread, i started a few months back with discus and u helped me a lot. Currently have five 5-6 inches fish in a 100 gallon planted. This week bought a bb with six juvies and want to raise them.

So - i have 130 liters/34 gallon bare bottom tank, one small driftwood.
Six juveniles discus- from 3 to 3.5-4.0 inches tall, have hard time measuring them
Temperature 31 celcius
95% WC daily
Feeding dry food - sera/tetra granules, tried giving my beefheart but they dont eat yet.

Got fish three days ago. They are not the best quality, couple of them have white spots on body, one has torned fins.. Its hard to get good ones where live,

My question- how should i treat them with what just for general purposes and problems mentioned above? Is my temperature ok and how to make it better for them. Since i just got fish and they dont all eat well, i know u guys feed six or more a day, i couldnt because they dont eat it all yet.

Thank you all!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/25/adezaga8.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/25/saju9y7y.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmdiscus1
04-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Btw guys, how to treat with prazi-pro liquid when doing 100% WC? Bottle says treat once, wait 7 days then wc.

pcsb23
04-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Filter cycled?

28C is fine 31 is too high. Remove the wood. Cover the back and sides with card/paper or similar so the fish settle better. Feed 3 times a day is fine, try and remove uneaten food after 20 mins but don't stress if you can't.

As for the prazi pro, I'd have thought it obvious, simply re-dose after each water change.

mmdiscus1
04-25-2014, 02:48 PM
I wrote long reply and tapatalk error.. Post gone:(
Filter not cycled.
I will remove wood
People here say heavy feed juvies, you say three times?
How long to treat with prazi? I watched for couple hours they didnt pass any worms.
For paper covering, regular A4 white kinda paper ok?

How old do thye look, and as far as i can see they are not stunted,what do u think?

Thanks!

pcsb23
04-25-2014, 04:12 PM
I can't judge the age from the pics. Some seem to be decent enough so worth working with. You can feed as many times as you want, but 3 times a day at regular intervals is fine ime. As for prazi, depends on what you are treating for.

If you throw loads of food in, with a filter that isn't cycled you will adversely affect the water quality. Generally having a cycled filter is a pre-requisite to grow out discus as it reduces risk. The Asian breeders get away with it because they do 2 changes a day and these are usually 100%.

Anything will do to cover the back and sides, it just provides a sense of security for the fish ime they don't like open on all sides.

Quintin
04-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Nice fishys.Just dnt cover with black.Mite be beit stunted eyes bit big but nice color.Kepp the lights down for a while.they will settle.if they dnt eat starve them for a day they will eat.good luck.lovely discus you got.

mmdiscus1
04-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks guys. They eat already, but onlyy from bottom, once granules settle. Will update you if anthing comes up.. Do u think i need to do metro on them just in case? And for external white patches and fin rot how to use furan2 when doing Wc, or maybe something else, i have only ten packets of furan2

pcsb23
04-26-2014, 04:53 AM
You've just got these fish, leave them be. Just plenty of clean water and food. What you are seeing is most likely shipping damage. Medication is the last resort not the first course of action.

donnacona
04-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys. They eat already, but onlyy from bottom, once granules settle. Will update you if anthing comes up.. Do u think i need to do metro on them just in case? And for external white patches and fin rot how to use furan2 when doing Wc, or maybe something else, i have only ten packets of furan2

What pcbs23 says is right. I would also add frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms to their diet if you can get it, they fall to the bottom of the tank where your fish feed.
Your fish look a lot better than some I've seen. So just take good care of them and they will do the rest. Good luck.

mmdiscus1
04-27-2014, 01:34 PM
I have frozen blood worms, but never fed them, after i learned they can carry parasites.. I bought from the guy who catches and freezes them himself,. So still sits in my freezer,,

About Wc- i do 95% once a day is that enough or am i doing too much? When to lower the frequency of wc? Thanks. Btw they all eat now thanks to your advice i covered sides with paper, and reduced amount of light.

mmdiscus1
05-08-2014, 04:44 PM
So its almost two weeks passed. Daily 95% WC ading Safe, temp 29celcius, at least three times a day sera/tetra granules feedings. Fish seems nice, and eat a lot. But, thise white spots around gill and head area havent dissapeared, fin rot on two fish seems better- each has a single fin with a bit rot on it.

I want to treat with furan 2 for external parasites, how do i dose when i do daily WC, and how long to treat? I have api powder packs..
A detailed step by step guide from experienced memebers would be appreaciated. Thanks.