PDA

View Full Version : Goliath is a bully!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mia427
05-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks to all of the great people here on Simply Discus that has offered me advice and gave me their opinions, my tank and fish are doing wonderful!!!

I decided that it was time for Goliath to have some friends! I contacted my LFS (The same place where Goliath came from) and asked the owner when he would be getting more discus in.

He had had three discus that have been in quarantine for a little over five weeks and he said he was getting ready to sell! Of course I immediately jumped in my car and went to go check them out! There was two just a little bit smaller than Goliath and one that was about half the size of the rest. They were all in a 20 gallon quarantine tank together. I watched that eats swim and do there discus thing and they looked great!!!! For some odd reason I felt really bad only buying the two larger ones! I could tell that the smaller one was definitely attached to the red one (I think it's a pigeon so please correct me if I'm wrong) I almost felt like I would be taking mommy and daddy away LOL!! Don't judge me I get attached to my fish ha!!!! So I decided to buy all 3 of them!!! I came home and I put them in a quarantine tank that I have in my basement and watched them for about 2 more weeks. All three of them seem to get along just as they did at my LFS. They ate together they swam together they were perfectly fine! This whole time that they were in quarantine I was so paranoid that they were going to bully Goliath. I figured because the three have already teamed up that Goliath was going to be the outsider. Man was I W R O N G!!!!!! Of course Goliath hated them! I know that there are some normal pecking order things that go on when you add new fish so I just left them be. So the next day I sat and watched them for a little over two hours. Goliath has really taken a liking to the pigeon! He still pecks her but they are always together! I'm not sure if they're male and female but I know that they like each other LOL! I believe the other blue one I got is a cobalt as well (like Goliath) and he just kinda does his own thing. Those 3 do school together even though Goliath pecks both of them.

Well here's my problem now. Both cobalts HATE the little one!!!!!!! They both (Goliath more) peck him and chase him so much that he hides ALL day long! They chase him back to his hiding spot :( the only time he comes out is when the red one swims by and he comes out next to her swims with her but then gets chased by the other 2!!!! I feel so bad for him!!!!!!!!!! He hasn't ate since I put him in the tank with all 3 of the others, they don't let him even get a chance! I tried last night to put a whole bunch of food for them so that maybe he would get some but as far as I saw he didn't, I ended up siphoning the leftovers out this morning...... I mean who knows maybe he did get some and I didn't see after lights went out but the fact that I didn't see it makes me sad. Over all he looks healthy is not dark or white and is acting pretty normal as far as I can see when he comes out of hiding.

I've been keeping up with my weekly water changes and keeping everything very clean! Water looks great and Parimeter's are perfect!!!

The other three are eating and swimming around just fine so I don't think that there something going on. Plus he was eating perfectly fine in the quarantine tank.

I know I'm kind of jumping the gun because it's only been three days but I just want to make sure that I don't starve the poor guy to death! Will they ever ease up and let him come out and eat or will they always bully him because he's smaller? I want to make sure that I take care of this right away because I don't want him to get sick and die. I would rather give him back to the LFS then have him suffer you know...... Like I said I know that there is a pecking order but this just seems a little too much... He lets the others eat and swims with the others just fine.

What should I do?!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mia427
05-02-2014, 08:46 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/ry9a6ezu.jpg

A pigeon blood?

Mia427
05-02-2014, 08:47 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/a7y2uman.jpg

Goliath on the left and the other new one on the right. Both Colbalts?

Mia427
05-02-2014, 08:48 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/tyru5uvu.jpg

And the little guy. What is he?

JmDiscuss
05-02-2014, 10:19 PM
It has only been 3 days, and he seems to be able to hide and rest... just watch him for another 4 days or so, the worse case you can take him out and put him in his own tank for awhile feed him well and try putting him back after a few weeks

Jerry

pastry
05-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Bullying is just natural. Take a bully out and another bully will emerge. Same goes for the "bullied". More discus = dispersed aggression.

Mia427
05-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Bullying is just natural. Take a bully out and another bully will emerge. Same goes for the "bullied". More discus = dispersed aggression.

More Discus = MORE aggression! I don't know what to do with these two!!!!!!

musicmarn1
05-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Ill tell you what they told me that worked a treat, your enthusiasm is lovely!

Divider, egg crate it's called

More discus when you can or return the smallest as you have threevery compatible discus it seems if it stresses you out too much, im sensitive too ive had several schools of discus where pecking order was minor and a couple where bullying was bad

Water quality can affect aggression, concentrate on research to improve that and see if a difference is observed

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

aquadon2222
05-27-2014, 11:14 PM

I have a 7" Wild Red Alenquer who is clearly the bully of my tank. He's got is own turf staked out and any fish nearby gets chased off. During feeding time, I spread the food out, and everyone gets their share of food, but right after feeding, he goes back to bullying.

Larry Bugg
05-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Four discus is a bad number. This is exactly why we recommend 6 or more. It is natural for most cichlids to establish a pecking order and a larger number of discus helps even the aggression out.

Mia427
05-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Four discus is a bad number. This is exactly why we recommend 6 or more. It is natural for most cichlids to establish a pecking order and a larger number of discus helps even the aggression out.

I currently have 8. I am aware of the pecking order, I see it in the other 6, but Goliath and his buddy are out of control. It's not a pecking order with them, it's pure bullying!

Second Hand Pat
05-28-2014, 09:01 AM
So you adding four more?

Mia427
05-28-2014, 09:17 AM
So you adding four more?

Yes.

Mia427
05-28-2014, 09:25 AM
I have a 7" Wild Red Alenquer who is clearly the bully of my tank. He's got is own turf staked out and any fish nearby gets chased off. During feeding time, I spread the food out, and everyone gets their share of food, but right after feeding, he goes back to bullying.

The same for me except I have 2 who do that! They think the whole tank is there turf and they keep the other ones in the corner. The second the come out they bully them right back to the corner. I lure the bullies to one side of the tank and feed them then on the other side I feed the others. Everyone is eating just fine I just feel bad..... I think I might just remove them.....

Second Hand Pat
05-28-2014, 09:30 AM
What size is your tank and sizes of fish?

Mia427
05-28-2014, 10:08 AM
What size is your tank and sizes of fish?

I have a 90 Gallon. 3 are about 4 1/2 inches, 4 are about 5 1/2 6 inches then I have one that's the smallest around 4 inches. This is just a guess, I've never measured them...