PDA

View Full Version : Moving tank from one location to another

belvius
05-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I currently have 8 young adults in a 75g BB tank. Unfortunately, the tank sits right beside a hallway and near a TV which is not ideal for the discus. I am trying to move the tank away from these distractions so I can make these discus feel more comfortable. The question I have is that if I am only moving the tank maybe like 25ft to the left, do I need to take all the discus out? Or can I just empty the tank to about 30% water and move the tank with the fishes in it? If anyone have an ideal way of moving tanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MKD
05-12-2014, 02:24 PM
assume you 'll move it to the other side smooth floor with no stairs, hallways.......i would drain water down to top of discus fin, just like doing large water, then put it on flat dollys, cardboards, towels and just push or roll it.

belvius
05-12-2014, 02:33 PM
assume you 'll move it to the other side smooth floor with no stairs, hallways.......i would drain water down to top of discus fin, just like doing large water, then put it on flat dollys, cardboards, towels and just push or roll it.

Ya I am just trying to move it to the other side of the living room so there are no stairs or hallways where its more quiet. What other precautions can I do to make sure the discus wont be too stressed out with this movement?

MKD
05-12-2014, 02:59 PM
take out everything that able move around in the tank, just leave discus and water only. Prepare water, prime, air and filter ready to fill up tank and running as soon as possible

don't worry too much, they should be fine.

alcastro
05-12-2014, 05:08 PM
When I moved my 150 glass to the other side of room I just removed 90% and pushed it over filters and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickztahone
05-12-2014, 05:14 PM
When I moved my 150 glass to the other side of room I just removed 90% and pushed it over filters and all

Yup, I have done the same thing in the past. Drain most of the water and move and you will be good :)

Skip
05-12-2014, 05:41 PM
just get some 5g buckets from home depot pull out fish.. drain it all.. and refill..

belvius
05-12-2014, 07:03 PM

That is basically what I am trying to do. How long did it take for the discus to get back to normal again?

belvius
05-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Also, thank you everyone for the advice! I shall give that a try in the weekend!

trungnguyen
05-12-2014, 07:08 PM
When you refill all the water back, turn lights off and no feeding until the next day...

Trung.

belvius
05-12-2014, 07:21 PM
I know this is not related to this topic, but I thought I should keep this in one thread. This tank was my first tank of discus so I kept it BB but didnt paint the bottom? Would it be a good idea to paint the bottom now since I am planning to move the tank? The fishes have been in there for 5 months now and they have grown from 3" to 5".

OC Discus
05-12-2014, 07:29 PM
You could paint it or slide something under it cut to fit- like a white foam poster board.

belvius
05-12-2014, 07:41 PM
You could paint it or slide something under it cut to fit- like a white foam poster board.

I actually added some blue background at the bottom already before i set it up, but it still looks reflective when i look into it

rickztahone
05-12-2014, 07:44 PM
A complete overhaul like that I would advise on gettin a large platic tote, or a large cooler and putting all your livestock in there with your current filters running. Make sure you transfer over the heater as well. Drain the tank, paint it, let dry and then set the tank back up and re-introduce the livestock back in to the tank. I have done this a few times in the past with no problems at all.

belvius
05-12-2014, 07:54 PM
A complete overhaul like that I would advise on gettin a large platic tote, or a large cooler and putting all your livestock in there with your current filters running. Make sure you transfer over the heater as well. Drain the tank, paint it, let dry and then set the tank back up and re-introduce the livestock back in to the tank. I have done this a few times in the past with no problems at all.

Painting the background and bottom is just an option, but moving the tank to a quieter place is my main concern. Will I still need to take them out if I am only trying to slide the tank to the other side?

rickztahone
05-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Painting the background and bottom is just an option, but moving the tank to a quieter place is my main concern. Will I still need to take them out if I am only trying to slide the tank to the other side?

No, if you are simply moving from one place to the other, then just drain about 90% like mentioned prior and slide over to where you want it.

alcastro
05-12-2014, 09:04 PM
When I moved my tank this is how my fish looked

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/13/ubygyzan.jpg

belvius
05-12-2014, 10:31 PM
When I moved my tank this is how my fish looked

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/13/ubygyzan.jpg

Somehow I am not unable to access that photo?