PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus

Anderson2492
05-12-2014, 04:47 PM
I recently purchased two Discus last week and everything is going well with them I have them in a 75 gallon tank with an eheim 2217 canister filter as my filtration needs. I was wondering on some tips anyone had to offer so that I provide the best habitat I can for these very unique fish. I have fed them brine shrimp and blood worms every night and they are eating quite well for being in the tank for a short time. I was wondering also that one of them has a bit of cloudy eye on one eye and so does the other but the one with less is seems to be going away. I also noticed that the one with the more cloudy eye who also is eating the best has on the top and tail fin some clear see through spots along with 3 silvery spots should I be concerned about these spots at all?? Thanks

LeeAberdeen
05-12-2014, 04:58 PM
First tip is to get some more discus, because they won't be as happy with just two as they would be with five or six. In a 75-gallon tank, you'll be fine with six, which many see as the minimum for discus. That's presuming the tank is empty but for the discus?

That advice clearly comes with no regard to any potential health problems, because you wouldn't want to be introducing new discus to a tank with potential disease. Having said that, you need someone far more knowledgeable than me to pinpoint if the spots you mention are a potential hazard. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk new discus unless I was sure the current fish are healthy. The new ones would need quarantining in a separate tank for a few weeks anyway, while you keep your eye on them.

John_Nicholson
05-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Discus do best in groups of 6 or more and require very clean water. Most successful discus keepers change water often ( as in 7 days a week often ). They prefer warn water around 82 F.

Good luck and be sure to check out the section for new folks.

-john

Quintin
05-13-2014, 01:54 PM
How about some pictures of the tank and fish.And you will need more discus as they only stay happy for a short while as the are social fish.Check out the stickies on water quality,aging and filtration.You at the rite place for advice.what heat is your tank at and is the spots on the fins only or the whole fish

aquadon2222
05-29-2014, 05:58 AM
More fish and good water. If the spots are very small and limited to the fins, it could be harmless or it could be ich, which is easily treated. White spots on the head is another story: could be the beginning of hole in the head disease, which can be deadly if left untreated, and it grows quickly. I've had success treating HITH by transferring the affected fish into a bare bottom, no plant QT tank, treat with a good broad spectrum antibiotic asap (API General Cure works for me). 7 days should do the trick.

Second Hand Pat
05-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Hi William, first off welcome to Simply. As suggested above and to help with the cloudy eye and fin spots I would do 50% daily WCs for a week and I bet that will clear that right up. I would suggest doing some research here on the site. The stickies in the beginner section is a good starting place.
Pat