PDA

View Full Version : New Discus Keeper Looking for Assistance with Filtration!

Zaporah
05-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi SimplyDiscus!

This is my first post here, I wish it was under better circumstances, but what can ya do? I have been reading a lot here though in the last couple weeks and it seams to be an awesome resource!

I am currently setting up my first discus tank. I bought a 125gal tank off Craigslist that was in great shape and came with filtration (so he said) and I get it home and come to find out, the canister filter that he said was rated for a 150 gal tank is actually only rated for a 55...I know I screwed up, but I took him at his word and now I need to figure out what to do. The filters it came with are a Marineland C220 filter along with a HOB tetra whisper that I have no idea what it actually is. It is larger, larger than the ones rated for a 60 gallon tank, and older looking. I can't find a part number on it to look it up, though imprinted on the top of it is a giant '5' and '. So now I am in this predicament where this tank I thought was coming with plenty of filtration power and ready to start cycling, neither of the filters can actually run on... I am on a bit of a budget, but if there is anything I will splurge on, it will probably be filtration (though I would probably try to find it on ebay/used). I am also playing with the idea of building a sump (though I have never done it and would have to look up how). What are my most cost effective options here that will not sacrifice quality? Can I run the C220 with another smaller canister filter? Will the two I have be enough if I run them both? Do I just need to suck it up and buy a bigger filter like an Eheim 2262/Fluval fx5? Or build a sump? (or something else...)

Plan for the tank: sandy bottom with PFS and moderately planted with swords and maybe some Anubias. Probably going to stock it with 8 discus and some cory cats.

Thanks for all your help in advance! And I'm looking forward to talking to you guys a lot in the future! ;-)

Edit: Looked at the filter again and it actually says 'Second Nature Whisper Power Filter' and then the '5' on the other side. I had just seen 'Whisper' and assumed Tetra.

Wes
05-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Aquaclear 110

OC Discus
05-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Various kinds of filters can be combined on a discus tank. You can probably enter the brands and model numbers into Google and get the specs. Likely the three filters combined make up the minimum needed for 125 gallons. I would recommend doubling the recommended filtration for a discus tank. That is not necessary if you do 50% or more water changes daily. But if not, more is better.

So, research what you have first and be sure it all works, then add to it. I have 2 Hob filters running - Whisper, which are rated for my tank but have added a canister that gives me about triple the recommended filtration. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaporah
05-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I don't typically do 50% water changes daily. On my other community tank I do a 50% change twice a week with usually a 25% in there as well. On this tank it will probably be 50% change every other day.

yeeyang
You can make your own!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJBm89MuzU&feature=share&list=PLcWeEm9w62maaz5-CO-M0O7MzldTzRRhn&index=6

rickztahone
Check your local Craiglist. I found a used xp3 for $50 and it works great. For my old 125 I use to run 2 xp3's with inline hydor heaters. That isn't necessarily a budget choice, but I like rena's and 1 would not have been enough.

Zaporah
05-12-2014, 10:44 PM
@OC Discus I only have the 2 filters, the canister and HOB

@yeeyang I like it! The only issue is I was hopping to fit the sump in the stand underneath the tank, I don't think a tower will fit! :'(

@rickztahone Checking Craigslist was the first thing I did when I got home! Sadly there is only a fluval 305 on there for 65...which isn't bad, but even with the 305 and the Marineland C220, I would only have 480gph total...though I guess maybe that wouldn't be terrible? I just figured I would need more than that...

Quintin
05-13-2014, 03:24 AM
Try buying from somewhere you can check the product before purchasing as to avoid dissapointment.Read the stickies here on filtration there are lots of diiferant options.What size discus u getting.if they were small id suggest barebottom for now with 2 sponge filters and a hang on back or cascade 1000 would do nicely.Im just a bigginer myself so i could be wrong.Regards

Elliots
05-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Try an AQ110 from Kens fish. Not too expensive and you can use one of your other two filters and you will be good.

Skip
05-13-2014, 09:31 AM
4 sponge filters and 1 air pump.. how much cheaper can you get..

Zaporah
05-13-2014, 09:41 AM
If I do 2 sponge filters for now at least, what kind of flow rate would I need the powerheads to have?

Edit: actually, this goes to the debate of airpump vs. powerhead, I know people have very differing opinions. Though, I also am assuming airpumps are cheaper...

Skip
05-13-2014, 10:23 AM
i have used combo if power filters and sponges.. i would have like 2-4 sponges per tank.. so when i need to have a spare sponge.. it was seeded..

i don't do powerheads.. infact now that i think about it.. i have not been to a discus person place that had powerhead on sponges. only air pumps/air lines..

Zaporah
05-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Well that solves that, so just a whisper 150 air pump will be fine then? Also, I can just use that to power both sponges, correct? (I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a couple of Hydro Sponge V's) Do I need to get extra equipment to do that, like a splitter or anything?

Also, do you guys suggest I continue running the HOB filter and/or the canister that I currently have in addition to the sponges? (I should have prefaced this thread with I am starting with juvi discus.)

Skip
05-13-2014, 10:28 AM
only extra equipment you need is "Airlines".. :)

Quintin
05-13-2014, 01:38 PM
skip is rite.i tired powerhead before and the current is to strong and stresses the fish.Im using a double outlet airpump for my 2 sponge filters,and have one single outlet airpump for a airstone.i have noticed that when you use a splitter in the pipe you lose preasure at one end unless using small flow valve, besides single outlet only pushes so much compared to double.so like skip said 4 sponges with 2 dual airpumps you wont need airstone as the bubbles from the sponges would probably be sufficient.

Zaporah
05-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Update: I think I have come to my conclusion that I am going to go ahead and run both the HOB filter and canister filter in the tank with two Hydro Sponge V sponges hooked up to a Tetra Whisper 150 air pump. I think I will also just pick up another sponge while I'm at it to put on the intake of the canister.

The intention is to pick up a 405 canister (or something similar) at some point to run instead of the HOB, but this will do for know while the bioload in the tank is low (8 juvi discus and some cory cats).

I am also pulling out the old carbon bags in the canister and putting in some Seachem Matrix. There is already a nice porous sponge at the bottom with rings and bio balls in the other trays.

Thoughts on putting the Seachem Matrix (or bio balls) in the HOB filter instead of just the filter pads?

Thanks so much for all your feedback! Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to start having a beautiful discus home!

Edit: Thanks @Quintin, Maybe I'll look for some dual outlet pump instead of the Tetra Whisper, but the rest of the plan is staying the same!

Zaporah
05-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Do you have a suggestion of a good air pump?

Quintin
05-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Ehiem perhaps.bit pricy but good.dnt know if you get them there.i use a local brand Daro.

Skip
05-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Do you have a suggestion of a good air pump?

i used a one $29 pump from petsmart with 4 output..

GeauxDiscus
05-13-2014, 06:41 PM
I use a high-powered canister filter (FX6), 700 gph power head, and air pump/stones. I guess I'm a little paranoid about making sure the fish have enough oxygen. With regards to the current this creates, I have my filter outlet and my powerhead both pointed to the surface of the water, which both increases the oxygen exchange and decreases the current inside the tank. Admittedly I've only had discus in this setup for about nine months, but they are happy, healthy, growing, and laying eggs. They don't seem to have to put much (if any) effort to stay stationary.

rickztahone
05-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Agitation of the surface is a good point Shane. I have always had my filters bars and pipes pointing towards the water line. That is why sponge filters are also great :)

GeauxDiscus
05-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Yes, I should have mentioned that I am also a fan of sponge filters. You get good bio-filtration, mechanical filtration, and aeration at the same time. I run sponges in my 50 and canister in my 150 (because the 150 is imo too deep for the sponge). In my 150, I jam-pack my canister filter with ceramic rings for bio-filtration. (Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious tonight!)

Zaporah
05-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks a lot guys! I went ahead and picked up a couple of sponges and an air pump as well as some extra bio filtration media to run in the canister (I'm swapping out the carbon for the bio filtration). I might get two more sponges and another air filter eventually, but we will see how this goes first.

Quintin
05-16-2014, 02:31 PM
sounds like you sorted good luck.

dagray
05-16-2014, 03:15 PM
I run my 75 gallon with a Marineland Emporer 280 HOB, a Marineland 350 canister, and a Fluval 406 Canister. If I change out either the HOB or Marineland canister it will be with either a sump or another Fluval 406. I put the return lines so they blow against the glass keeping my current down.

I need to change the ribbed hose on the 406 to regular vinyl tubing so I can attach a UV sterilizer.

GeauxDiscus
05-16-2014, 06:56 PM
(I'm swapping out the carbon for the bio filtration).

Smart move. Carbon buys very little with discus because you're doing water changes so often. Plus carbon wears out quickly. The bio-media is important.