PDA

View Full Version : size of sump ratio to the aquarium

ganesan
05-18-2014, 12:40 PM
More often than not sumps are smaller in size than the main aquarium.What are the benefits if any if the sumps are of a larger size than the main aquarium and what is the ideal ration between an aquarium and a sump size tailored made for it

farebox
05-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Not being an expert on sump designs, I think you try to get the largest tank that will fit under your tank stand and your filtration needs for that tank. Check out UrauJoey on YouTube. He explains everything as far as sump sizes and how to drill and plumb everything.

CHEMAC
05-18-2014, 01:46 PM
I always use the largest sump i can fit in that spot

Siddhartha Saive
05-18-2014, 02:21 PM
The bigger the better always.
A sump filter is the best of all filters.
If you don't have enough space, the minimum size should at least be big enough to hold the extra water that drains after a power outage and big enough to hold the equipment you need.

musicmarn1
05-27-2014, 07:51 PM
URJoey is the BESt!! And was just reading the Bhler's books, where he too was saying seeing too many small sumps on large tanks. Is 2 x40g enough for a 240g tank? They take up all the room

virtueone11
06-17-2014, 06:23 PM
The bigger the better I think as the sump increases the aquarium volume of water besides giving you clean water and growth of beneficial bacteria that keeps your nitrite levels in check.