PDA

View Full Version : Will this filtration system work?

hon
05-26-2014, 12:45 AM
I have a 3-foot tank keeping 4 discus. At the moment I have two sponge filter driven by air inside the tank. I don't like the fact that the filters are occupying the space as well as not very good looking (together with the heater in tank).

I am thinking of drilling the bottom of the tank and install a stand pipe. Below the tank I will install a "sump tank" where I will put the sponge filters in. I am also thinking of putting gravel in the sump tank and grow water plant (with lighting). Water in the sump tank is returned to the fish tank above by a submersible pump. I am also thinking of put a canister filter take water from the sump tank and return it back to the sump.

People says too much filtration is not too good with discus mainly because of the water movement. With the set up I am describing, the only water movement in the fish tank is from the submersible pump located in the sump tank. I can create a wave in the sump but the fish tank is not affected. Does it work? Will the plant in the sump help to stabilise water conditions?

Thanks.

rickztahone
05-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Are you currently having problems with your setup? A sump is a great means to hide all of your equipment. I doubt that a filter on the sump would be of much more benefit. Focus on making the sump the most optimized for your tank and you will be good.

nc0gnet0
05-26-2014, 06:24 PM
I don't think a substrate in the sump is a great idea. If you want the benefit of plants try something like pothos growing above the tank with the roots suspended into the sump. They will of course need light, but so would any other plant.

Crunchy
05-31-2014, 11:20 AM
You can try using floating plants in the sump.

musicmarn1
05-31-2014, 05:33 PM
was going to try the organic sweet potato thing in my sump for kicks ! saw a video from here somewhere that says they get a great root structure and really suck out nitrate.

khoinguyen
06-01-2014, 12:05 AM
wet/dry filter is the best. I am using it for my 90 gal discus tank. It works very well.

nc0gnet0
06-01-2014, 12:09 AM
wet/dry filter is the best. I am using it for my 90 gal discus tank. It works very well.

Why is it the best? Because you have one? :)

musicmarn1
06-02-2014, 02:45 PM
I thought its sump best wet/dry second, but that would depend on how you set up the sump I'm sure

hank91
06-10-2014, 12:04 AM
I've used a planted sump/refugium on freshwater with good results in the past. I used the miracle mud set up.
I don't use it any longer because it's additional work to trim plants/change mud yearly, etc but it can be done effectively