PDA

View Full Version : New to Group & Discus

Snow
05-29-2014, 01:51 PM
1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

A) Hi I am Tammy and I have had freshwater tanks on and off since I was a child. I have had the usual mollies, guppies, goldfish, oscar's, angelfish, ect... in the past. As of now I have a 30 gallon goldfish tank & 4 betta tanks (not bowls)

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

A) I have no experience with keeping Discus before! They are beautiful fish and I am now ready to start on this adventure after reading, reading & reading and going to the LFS and asking lots of questions. Yes, I have read the "stickies" here and even re-read some of them.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

A) I have a 75 gallon (48.25 W x 18.31 D x 21.93 H). I have no intentions at this time on breeding. I have not set it up yet. That's why I am here :)

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.
A) I would like to go with a sand bottom but again.....not sure which is best. (any comments are appreciated)

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

A) I will be doing water changes most likely every other day (or depending on the age/size requirements & advice given here). I will be using aged tap water for my water changes.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

A) I have planned on using an Aquatop AF 400 filter, 300 Watt submersible heater & 4 foot LED strip lighting.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;
A) not set up yet! But very soon will start cycling it.

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

A) I would like to have 5 or 6 Discus more if it's safe to do so. As far as other fish, I was planning on getting some sort of shoaling fish to start with. The source I will likely be using to get my fish will be some of the great sponsors here. As, I have seen what they produce.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

A) I am looking at this time to only do this as part of my hobby & enjoyment. I am not planning on showing or breeding at this point. I have a lot to learn before getting there. As far as plants..I'm sure I will have a few but not looking to get into a heavily planted tank!

I would appreciate any comments on my tank size, filter, fish quantity......ect... That is why I joined this group before setting up the tank!

Snow
05-31-2014, 10:41 PM
I have not gotten replies while trying to give as much info as possible on the type of set up I will be using. Are there any thoughts or complaints/suggestions on what i have so far (tank size, filter, ect)? I think that I have also decided to use a natural color sand base instead of white (which is what I really wanted). However black is still in the running. Suggestions on this? I hope to be adding the sand tomorrow (if I can decide on color & letting it settle down a day or 2 before turning on my filter. Does this sound correct? Then let it run a week or so and some type of shoaling fish for at least 2 months. If everything checks out right at that point I will then attempt to add the discus. I just want to know if I need to change anything or if I'm going in the right direction. Please any comment (good or bad) are helpful. Thank you in advance!

GeauxDiscus
05-31-2014, 10:58 PM
Actually, I think you are fairly on target with your plans and expectations. Normally you can keep one adult discus per 10 gallons of water, so six would be no problem in a 75 gallon. My biggest advice if you are just starting with discus:

1. Start with large adults. They may be more expensive, but they are much easier to keep alive, and with your planned water change regimen, juveniles will be hard for you to grow to a decent size.

2. Go bare bottom in your tank. Any type of substrate will be hard to maintain, at least at first. You may be able to add substrate once you learn more about keeping discus.

3. Stage your water, and keep it from 82 to 86 degrees.

4. Enjoy those beautiful fish!

GeauxDiscus
05-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Oh, and maybe hold off on the shoaling fish for now. Again, you want to learn about the discus before you complicate things.

Snow
05-31-2014, 11:15 PM
I was told by the LFS guy to cycle my tank with some shoaling fish for about 2 months before adding the Discus. Is this not true?

I was also hoping to get 4.5-5" fish to begin with. If this means water changes & cleaning daily....I don't mind. I only work a couple of days a week & come home or take off whenever I need to.

Nathanp
05-31-2014, 11:33 PM
That seems like a long time to cycle your tank. I think their recommendation is to start getting good bacteria settled and working in your filter. You can buy products to help speed that process up but even them it seems like a long time to cycle your tank. Especially with how frequent you'll be changing water. I could see letting your tank cycle for a week or more but not 2 months.

Snow
05-31-2014, 11:40 PM
Thats what I have always done int he past as well with any other fish (1-2 weeks) using some quick start in it. But, that's what I told at the store. It's nice to hear that I may not have to wait that long! Again, thanks :)

Second Hand Pat
05-31-2014, 11:48 PM
Hi Tammy and welcome to Simply, there is another way to cycle your tank without the risk of contamination of dither fish. You can do a fishless cycle using pure ammonia instead. Your cycle should take about six or so weeks.
Pat

Snow
05-31-2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks Pat.....I have read up on that here. I don't really care about getting the dither fish I really just want a discus tank! So now I think that's the way I will be going. I'm not impatient to wait on what ever needs to be done the correct way. I have researched this for months before even buying the tank & stand. Then I got the filter & heater. Haven't decided on BB or sand at this point.

I did find out that my brother has a discus tank (apparently he's had 1 for a couple of years now). It surprised me because he's usually into saltwater. And he's the one who talked me out of doing bright white sand. lol

Larry Bugg
06-01-2014, 12:01 AM
If you want to do a sand bottom that shouldn't be a problem. Just make it a very light layer. It is fairly easy to keep a light layer clean. Pool filter sand works best.

Your plan to start wit 4 1/2" to 5" is a excellent way to go. At this age their growth has slowed down so they aren't as demanding as smaller juvies would be and at this size I think you could get away with water changes every other day but personally I would prefer every day.

As Pat said, I would do a fishless cycle on the tank. The alternative to this would be if the Sponsor you are buying from has the ability to sell you a seeded sponge along with the new discus. We a seeded sponge you would be ready to go immediately no waiting or the cycle. Some of the sponsors well be happy to do this, you just have to ask and see.

Get you discus first and then if you still want some shoaling fish or bottom feeders then add them at a later date. Let you discus settle in first. Don't forget that you will need to qt any of these fish before adding them later.

Second Hand Pat
06-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Tammy, as Larry suggest a thin sand layer can be kept clean very easy. If you try it and do not like it you can always siphon it out. You should also consider how you want to do water changes. Many of us age our water and use vinyl hose and pumps to drain water and move water from a water change barrow to the tank for the fill.

Snow
06-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Thanks Larry for all of the advice! Maybe a light sand bottom (I was planning on using the pool filter sand). And I will cycle it fish-less but will inquire about the seeded filter. Once I am very comfortable with the fish and all is well Then & only then will I think about adding other fish (maybe). And yes QT tank is next on my list but that set up will not be as elaborate as the one I'm now!

Snow
06-01-2014, 12:11 AM
I age water the old fashioned way......10 gallon buckets (LOL) We fill them put the necessary chems in (to remove chlorine & such) and let it sit until we are ready for it. Then I usually put a good dose of stress coat in before using.

Thank you so very much everyone. I was just feeling lost about the whole project! Now I feel much better and ready to get started. I want to see some water in this empty tank.

Second Hand Pat
06-01-2014, 12:13 AM
I would suggest adding air to the buckets and stress coat is a waste of your money.

Snow
06-01-2014, 12:21 AM
I will take that advice as well. It will be nothing for us to add air to the buckets and I don't like to use things that are not needed. So no more stress coat!

Not that this belongs here but......I own Great Danes that came from very good lines of AKC CH's. , Canadian CH's & International CH's. What I'm trying to convey is that I do the very best for my pets that I can. Whatever it takes will be done at whatever the cost! They are fed the correct protein's & amounts of proteins with foods that have no fillers. When they are given treats they are most organic, homemade or farm raised/free roam. Heck I even have insurance on them :)

Larry Bugg
06-01-2014, 12:34 AM
10 gallon bucket can become pretty labor intensive and your going to want to change more than 10 gallons at a time so a bunch of buckets, lol. See if you can't find a place to keep a 44 gallon brute trash can. This makes a great water storage container and will give you an adequate amount of water for changing a 75. It will definitely simplify you water changing. Even if you can't keep it right next to the tank, as Pat suggested, you can use a pump and hose to move the water from the brute to the tank. I use pond pumps that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes for about $50 and you can get the vinyl hose there also. The cost of the brute, pump and hose will be easily paid for with the amount of time and effort it will save you!!

MendoMan
06-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Take the time to do a fish less cycle. You'll not regret it. I started up a 140 gallon about 6 months ago using the fish less cycle, I used no seed and it took 5 weeks. When you are done you can go right to your full amount of fish and there is no problem with cross contamination. I had my doubts but it works great.

judijetson
06-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Hello and welcome! Agree with the above with all the water changes you'll be doing if you can a large brute container will save you tons of time. I use a 55 and a 40 container since my tank is 135 gallons. You can add a heater to the container and an airstone then just pump the water from the container to refill the tank.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

dghby
06-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Hello Snow, welcome to Simply, larrys suggestion of a brute container cannot be stressed enough. you sound like a person that will be spending a lot of time in upkeep for your Discus. because of this along with all the other points "your back will thank you". I use 35gl Brute containers on wheels with an airstone and heater. the heater keeps the water at the tank temp for easy transition. beyond that sounds like your well on your way. starting off with 4-5 inch is ideal. good luck to you, this is a great site, use it to your advantage.

OC Discus
06-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Welcome Snow,

If you live in a city with a Harbor FReight store, their 620 gallon per hour fountain pump is rated for aquariums and is about $40. Here is a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/outdoors/fountain-pumps.html

With a 1" ID vinyl hose, it will move 62 gallons in about 6 minutes. I've been very satisfied with the pump and the hose. I don't have a ph swing, so I fill a 50 gallon storage bin that fits in my bathtub with warm tap water. Add 1/2 tsp of Safe while it is filling with water slightly warmer than the aquarium. I can drop the pump in and refill the tank with 40 gallons in about 3 minutes.

I have a separate in-line, self priming pump for vacuuming and draining the tank. With a bare bottom tank you can attach your vacuum tube to a 6' hose leader and to the intake on the pump. Then attach a water hose to the outlet long enough to reach the yard, tub, sink or wherever you want to drain. With sand I didn't vacuum quite as deep and developed brown algae- regular siphon worked better. Without sand the pump works great for vacuuming the bottom.

This is the pump I use to vacuum: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-12v-dc-transfer-utility-pump

It comes with a 6' priming hose and a 15 ' drain hose.

Good luck

Snow
06-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Thank everyone so much for the advice! I have now got water in my tank & have started the "fishless" cycling! I'm in no hurry.....I just want to do it right from the beginning.

I can get a larger barrel to keep water in & after consideration I do understand where this would be much better. I can not keep it in my family room with the tank but I will find an area close by! I can run hoses to drain & so forth right out my back or front door.

Again thanks for all of the links. I will be checking them out & thank you again for all of the wonderful suggestions & advice. Most of which I would never have thought of my self. Most of all thank you for letting me be apart of this wonderful group :)

OC Discus
06-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Here is the correct link to the inline, self priming pump. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-transfer-utility-pump-1-12-hp
This one is only 320 gph and is considerably slower and louder than the other one, but you can connect a vacuum hose to it. I connected two 3/4" elbow adapters to it, connected the hoses, and keep it in a 5 gallon bucket. Easier to store.

discuspaul
06-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Welcome to SD Tammy. You've received some very good advice here and I recommend you follow it.
You mentioned having read the Stickies here and I assume you've read my Beginner's Guide to Discus.
Once you've completed your fishless cycle and are ready to go, please don't hesitate to PM me if I can be of any help to you as you get going with your project.
One of the most important aspects of getting started is to get your discus from a well-known, fully reliable source for healthy, quality discus. All of the sponsors here on SD are in that category, so please select one & order your fish from that supplier.
Best of luck to you.
Paul

Snow
06-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Thank you all for the advice, suggestions & the "stickies" (as I keep having to refer back to them )! Some have provided me with great links on how to make my water changing much easier (which I greatly appreciate) and others have given sound advice on what has worked for them & others. I'm letting things just go slow & not rush.

As far as where I will be getting my Discus.....I have already decided that it will be from a "sponsor" on this site. I will keep everyone filled in as things progress :)

musicmarn1
06-04-2014, 12:25 AM
Welcome Snow, in a dog fanatic too!, love great Danes! My best client is a harlequin and he is THE funniest dog, we take his doggles so he can hang out of the car on our way for hikes. Your in good hands with these guys here, I would have killed a lot of discus and im all out for my pets too! But these guys helped me each step of the way and I got wrigglers today! Hurrah :p

forhonor
06-04-2014, 12:44 AM
thanks for sharing