PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum and Discus

FishMom
05-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Hello. My name is Linda and I have had discus now for about 2 months. I have been reading about their ph requirements and I don't know really what to do. My normal ph out of the tap is high 8s, I use a combination of 3/4 rodi water and 1/4 tap for the minerals. I know they don't like swings in ph and was wondering how you keep a steady level when using buffers. Can you use straight rodi water instead of trying to play with buffers? I have discus trace and was wondering if that would replace any nutrients missing in rodi. Thanks for any help in advance. I am the proud owner of 1 red turquoise, 1 snow white, 3 golden yellows and a blue snakeskin all seem to be happy in their 60g planted tank. Oh, also I have a very large peat ball in tank.

pcsb23
05-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Hello Linda,

Discus requiring a stable pH is a bit of a myth, which will probably get a lot of people hot under the collar :evilgrin: They just need lots of clean warm water, decent food and as stress free an environment we can provide. They are adaptable fish which means almost any water source can be good enough for them provided it is clean. They have evolved such that changes in pH do not cause them issues, in their natural environment the pH fluctuates daily, albeit it does so steadily. Sudden large changes in pH are not good for them, but changes over a number of hours are not overly significant.

FishMom
05-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Hello Linda,

Discus requiring a stable pH is a bit of a myth, which will probably get a lot of people hot under the collar :evilgrin: They just need lots of clean warm water, decent food and as stress free an environment we can provide. They are adaptable fish which means almost any water source can be good enough for them provided it is clean. They have evolved such that changes in pH do not cause them issues, in their natural environment the pH fluctuates daily, albeit it does so steadily. Sudden large changes in pH are not good for them, but changes over a number of hours are not overly significant.

Thank you for your response. Makes me feel better. :)