PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filters

DiscusLoverJeff
06-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Has anyone tried one of these filters? If so, what are your personal reviews for a discus tank and it's overall performance?

My Fluval 405 broke down again for the second time and at $195.00 vs Under $100.00.

Pingkay

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JYEL2VE?psc=1

AquaTop

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF400UV-4-Stage-Canister-Filter/dp/B004GJ43EK/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1401972090&sr=8-20&keywords=canister+filter

SunSun

http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-HW-304B-External-Canister-Sterilizer/dp/B008986EQO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1401972765&sr=8-12&keywords=canister+filter

Swordsman
06-05-2014, 10:21 AM
The Fluval 405 is a great filter! I have necer used the other filters you have listed. I would consider fixing the fluval, it would be cheaper than buying a new filter. The most expensive part is the moter head which is about $75. Most other parts are less than $10. The link below is a good place to buy the parts if that is the route you decide to go. I have 2 of the 405's and love them.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Canister-Filter-Parts/I/Fluval-404-405-Replacement-Parts.aspx

pcsb23
06-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Had experience with the SunSun - friend of mine imported them for a while, to be blunt they were cheap and nasty ... suspect the same may hold true for the others too. I'd get one of these Jeff, it will outperform your fluval http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Classic-External-Canister-Filter/dp/B0002AQXVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401981561&sr=8-1&keywords=eheim+2217+canister+filter best bang for buck out there imo/e - so simple even I can use one, and super efficient as it doesn't have any trays and the like to mess up flow. They are also bullet proof, I'm currently running one which is over 10 years old.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-05-2014, 11:29 AM
The Fluval 405 is a great filter! I have necer used the other filters you have listed. I would consider fixing the fluval, it would be cheaper than buying a new filter. The most expensive part is the moter head which is about $75. Most other parts are less than $10. The link below is a good place to buy the parts if that is the route you decide to go. I have 2 of the 405's and love them.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Canister-Filter-Parts/I/Fluval-404-405-Replacement-Parts.aspx

I have fixed the same Fluval 3 different times and it still seems to leak for no apart reason even after replacing the O-rings, motor, and clamps.

Maybe I just need a new connection fittings that goes from the hoses to the actual canister. Just not good when it leaks on my new floors.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Had experience with the SunSun - friend of mine imported them for a while, to be blunt they were cheap and nasty ... suspect the same may hold true for the others too. I'd get one of these Jeff, it will outperform your fluval http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Classic-External-Canister-Filter/dp/B0002AQXVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401981561&sr=8-1&keywords=eheim+2217+canister+filter best bang for buck out there imo/e - so simple even I can use one, and super efficient as it doesn't have any trays and the like to mess up flow. They are also bullet proof, I'm currently running one which is over 10 years old.

Thanks Paul for the information on the Eheim. I might be the only one who has had bad luck with them.

Elliots
06-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Get rid of the canister, switch to AQ HOB. Easier to use and clean. Does not usually leak, if it does only one place to leak can be easily and cheaply repaired. (The motor housing) If you have a large tank use more than one!

DiscusLoverJeff
06-05-2014, 12:56 PM
I use both Elliot. I have an AC 110 un the 95 gal and the Fluval. I like having overkill on filtration, especially when you have a tank full of adult discus and a pleco/cory cleaning crew.

Elliots
06-05-2014, 02:07 PM
I had a canister and an AC110 on my 150 but I gave up my canister and I went to two AC 110s. I do clean the filters more often than when I had a canister but it is so much easier and faster.

OC Discus
06-05-2014, 03:47 PM
The Marineland Magnum 350 is like a Toyota Pickup- They've been using them for about 30 years and have a great reputation. They can be ordered online for $99 and come with micron filter, floss filter, and large carbon container.

I have turned mine into a purigen reactor. I use the micron filter surrounded by 4 Purigen pouches. I keep one extra micron filter and 4 extra Purigen pouches. Every 2-3 weeks I open the canister, flush it with hot water, flush all the parts, install clean micron filter (every 2 weeks) and clean purigen (every 3-4 weeks). The Micron filter and purigen can both be cleaned with bleach and and re-used many times. It has given amazing results. Weekly 80% water change. Water test after two weeks, just before changing filters, Ammonia- 0, Nitrite- 0, Nitrate- 10.

I also have 2 HOB filters with bio sponges and floss media that gets replaced ever week to two weeks. The floss can be rinsed, soaked overnight in bleach, and soaked in dechlorinator many times as well. Water stays pristine between weekly water changes. I know this is unorthodox, but it is working very well for me.

One big plus of the Magnum 350 is the housing is clear. When the micron filter starts getting clogged, it will get louder, but I can look through the housing and see how the water is flowing through the purigen.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-05-2014, 04:01 PM
My only concern with 2 HOB filters like my AquaClear 110 is the force of the water coming in the tank. Yes you can tone it down by sliding the tube over, but it is still a strong current. And, having 2 of them on a 90 gal tank it gives the discus no where to go for calmer waters. A canister allows you the option to adjust the return line to graze the top of the water or add a spray bar.

Keith Perkins
06-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Keep talking up the Magnum 350 OC. :)

Bill63SG
06-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Jeff,I dont use any canisters downstairs,just various AC's,and sponges.

Madaboutdiscus
06-05-2014, 08:59 PM
My boyfriend used a sunsun on his angel tank. It didn't do well. The tank stayed cloudy and gross with only 3 angels and a pleco

~Victoria

lipadj46
06-05-2014, 09:25 PM
I had a sunsun and there was a short in the motor that melted through to the impeller housing and it leaked all over.

ronald sherman
06-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Jeff I'm with you about the fluval I bought brand new a fluval 306 only 22 month's ago fixed it 3 times and had it leak several times still using it have spent about 40.00 on part's and the first time it broke only 3 month's called fluval up spent hr's on the phone and they would not sent me any replacement part's under war, they wanted me too ship it back too them and if then they would repair and sent it back, they said the 3 yr war was only good if I bought it at petco , I would never but another 1, I have a used a casade 1000 that is used from a set-up that I boght rom CL, and never had 1 day of trouble except a tiny drip leak, that was 1 of the shut off valve bought both valve replacement at ken-fish for 5.95 for the money they can't be beat I've seen them sell for brand new on e-bay for 99.00 with shipping never had a problem prime them too start

nc0gnet0
06-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Personally I think the fluval 400 series are complete POS. Engineered by pass, PITA to prime, impeller and impeller cap always failing, etc etc. The FX5 is a much nicer filter. Jeff, I do have a used RENA xp4 laying around I don't use anymore I could sell you, have no idea what shipping might cost however.

-Rick

DiscusLoverJeff
06-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Read so many different reviews on all these canisters and it is amazing how they can go from extremely well to terrible.

Swordsman
06-06-2014, 12:46 PM
I like both the Fluval and the Magnum H.O.B. 250 that I use on my tanks. I must say, I've never had a Magnum H.O.B. 250 filter break down on me. I've just started having an issue with the impeller knocking and getting stuck in my Fluval 405. I see repairs in the immediate future.

Just an FYI, PETMOUNTAIN has ALL thier power filters on sale right now at 50% off. The H.O.B. 250 is about $55 and the Canister 350 is $100.00.

Swordsman
06-06-2014, 12:47 PM
You can actually see the H.O.B. filter intake and exit tubes in my avatar pic. :)

jsullins
06-06-2014, 01:31 PM
I use Rena XP3 or 4 work great and have not had any issues, they are very easy to clean as well. My son just recent bought the AquaTop above for his 100g cichlid tank and hasn't had any issues although it is still early imo but it has made a difference in the clarity of his water and helped control algae as well. He loves it and he also runs an AQ110 on the other end of the tank as well.

nc0gnet0
06-06-2014, 01:42 PM
I like both the Fluval and the Magnum H.O.B. 250 that I use on my tanks. I must say, I've never had a Magnum H.O.B. 250 filter break down on me. I've just started having an issue with the impeller knocking and getting stuck in my Fluval 405. I see repairs in the immediate future.

Just an FYI, PETMOUNTAIN has ALL thier power filters on sale right now at 50% off. The H.O.B. 250 is about $55 and the Canister 350 is $100.00.

The magnums are intended for water polishing aren't they?

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-canister-filters/11442-504079/marineland-magnum-350-canister-filter-100-gallon-.html?utm_source=googleproductads&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjgKEAjwzcWcBRCat43fy9e5i3ASJADXOBwuXYSuebw8 tKk74HpppfeLm9NN9SnBsAkffehtgEY8zvD_BwE

not intended for biological filtration

Keith Perkins
06-06-2014, 02:05 PM
I always used my Magnums for biological filtration by filling the carbon cartridge with floss. I never really thought about whether that's what they were intended for or not, just did it.

Swordsman
06-06-2014, 03:02 PM
I do the same. Keep in mind, I am talking about the H.O.B. 250. Your only going to "polish" the water if you install the micron filter. It will be fully clogged if left in more than a few days, maybe less depending on how dirty the water is. Otherwise, you use the Filter sleeve and the media chamber filled with some type of media. Could be biological or chemical media. I am not sure what accessories come with the Magnum 350 and if it has interchangable cartridges etc. I've used the 250's for years with no problems. take them apart once a month and rinse everything (change chemical media if used) and put it back together with water in it and put it back on the tank and plug it in. That's it.

TheMutlu
06-11-2014, 11:31 AM
I think best choice Fluval 405 for you.because filter pieces are first quality.and in fact for sunsun you need luck:)

Sent from turkey

dagray
06-11-2014, 04:16 PM
I have a Magnum 350, a Fluval 406, and a Marineland Emporer 280 (HOB) on my 75 gallon.

The Magnum and Fluval have the Seachem Matrix in them (I don't use carbon if I can avoid it), the HOB has zeolite in it.

musicmarn1
06-12-2014, 03:53 AM
Wish pet mountain had a fx6 or fx5 in stock grr, I might go with Rena xp4 instead it's $150 there with shipping I think which is exciting!

OC Discus
06-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Try big als pets online.

http://www.bigalspets.com/fx6-high-performance-canister-filter.html

He should be invited to be a sponsor- great selection and prices.

nc0gnet0
06-12-2014, 11:29 AM
I always used my Magnums for biological filtration by filling the carbon cartridge with floss. I never really thought about whether that's what they were intended for or not, just did it.

Closest I have come to using a mag 350 as a biological filter is placing a hydor V on the intake as a pre-filter. Keep the micron cart in the filter itself, or some purigen.

Dkings
10-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I have both Aquatop and Fluval filters and agree with what was said above.

The Fluval leaks when the power is shut off and the valve isn't closed from the head pressure of the 2 lines going to the tank. In my humble opinion, because the water in my tanks is 86°F and the sealing features are being pushed out on the housing(radially if you consider the housing as having a center through the filter housing from top to bottom), the housing is stretched so that the o-ring doesn't have enough compression to seal the filter once shut. The deformation on the housing is small enough to make a difference.

The Aquatop(CF500) makes noise at the impeller like it's out of balance. I'm probably going to replace the impeller soon to see if the noise is reduced. The light's enclosing tube also ends up leaking after a while and you have to try to seal it. I use the same viscous lubricant that I use on the cover's o-ring to seal it, but the clear tube ends up getting stained after a while.
That being said, the filters have worked fine otherwise. I added a redundant filter to both, at which time I was prepared to spend money on the filters, as I felt the filters should be of higher quality since I value the discus in both tanks greatly. Anyway, the redundant filters are Ehiem 2080 and 2081 filters which I can't say enough about. They are engineered excellently and would recommend anyone get them. I would save for more economical Ehiem filter if price is limiting factor.

I hope this helps.

Dkings
10-09-2014, 03:39 PM
I should have added, I too replaced the sealing O-rings on the Fluval 305 and still had leaking.

manbearpig
11-06-2014, 12:10 AM
I recommend the rena line. I own (4) xp 3 and they have been bullet proof. My oldest one has been running on my turtle tank for 8 years. I run 2 on the planted 125gal show tank and it keeps my water crystal clean.

Tony13
09-18-2015, 07:44 AM
So I started being sure about getting the fluval fx6 for my tank (which I haven't even bought yet)after reading this, I am so confused now! LOL. I guess the price on the three canister filters the original poster asked about is tempting but they look exactly the same, I bet they are just one company with three different labels. I am looking at the Hydor 600 anyone know anything about them bad good etc, cant find any comparison reviews between the different brands.
Thanks,Tony

pitdogg2
09-18-2015, 09:10 AM
My only concern with 2 HOB filters like my AquaClear 110 is the force of the water coming in the tank. Yes you can tone it down by sliding the tube over, but it is still a strong current. And, having 2 of them on a 90 gal tank it gives the discus no where to go for calmer waters. A canister allows you the option to adjust the return line to graze the top of the water or add a spray bar.

I use a Magnum350 with bio-wheels and an XP3 filled with matrix and foam not to mention a Hydor koralia 750 on both of my 75's with bare bottom. My discus do not seem to mind they even get up and play in the current from time to time.

I cannot speak bad for either of my Magnums or Rena XP3's they have been bullet proof forever one magnum was the bought right after they went from 330 to 350 so it is going on 25+yrs no leaks have replaced impeller twice. My Rena XP3's have been the same since they came out bulletproof. no matter how clean you keep them you will replace impellers as they wear out from spinning a zillion million times:)

DJW
09-18-2015, 01:23 PM
I make canister filters out of large PVC pipe and put them inline with an Eheim pump. The one under the 90g tank holds 2 or 3 gallons of matrix-like stone. I live near a pumice mine, maybe its the mine where Seachem gets their rock because it looks identical.

pitdogg2
09-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Matrix is a "treated pumice" according to Seachem....you could very well be correct. Must be why when i get a 5L bucket it has a few hard rocks in it:) Does your float? All pumice I have ever had did except for matrix

DJW
09-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Pumice seems to vary in its density. I find some that floats but most of the rock covering the ground in this volcanic area is heavier than water. When they say they "treat" it I wonder what that means. I treat it by rinsing off the dust.

I read somewhere that this spongy rock might work as a nitrate filter in its interior, the idea being that water would flow so slowly inside the rock that anaerobic conditions would result. The catch of coarse with these magic nitrate filters is that the less water you are filtering the more nitrate you are removing. Huh?

poconoboss
09-22-2015, 01:24 PM
I have the Fluval FX5, it is a BEAST! My water is crystal clear, even if I get lazy and put off my water changes, the water remains PERFECT!!