PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filters

Steelman
06-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Was thinking about adding 2 sponge filters into my sump for additional filtration. They would be in the chamber where the return pump is. At this point the water will have already gone through the filter pad and bio balls. Would they still be beneficial for the tank or would they be better in the tank itself? Thanks for any advice.

adapted
06-13-2014, 11:01 PM
What you're describing is what I'm doing at the moment. It's nice not to have to clutter a display tank with multiple sponges. I suspect any differences in how well your tank is filtered, overall, between having them in the sump or the tank itself would be negligible. They might help with circulating water in the tank, and they may get a chance to do a little more physical filtering there, but these would be small distinctions.

virtueone11
06-17-2014, 06:20 PM
I don't think its a bright idea to put sponge filter in a sump. Its best for BB tanks and best kept in the aquarium itself and easily maintained.

dagray
06-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Why wouldn't you put sponge filters in the sump? By doing so you are giving more space for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Steelman
06-19-2014, 04:54 PM
I think they would be easier to maintain in the sump. I also think they would remain cleaner since my drip tray would be doing the bulk of the mechanical before water reaches the sponges. So they would be mostly aiding in biological filtration.