PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations John Nicholson for Most Important Win!

Chad Adams
06-23-2014, 04:20 PM
In my very humble opinion I believe this is what the show and NADA is all about; Growing the quality of the hobby through Hobbyists!!

Congratulations John on Best Homebred Discus!

Even a Blind Squirrel... Oh never mind!

Chad

Skip
06-23-2014, 04:26 PM
HECK YES it is!! :)

Allwin
06-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Agree with Chad, growing out to its full potential is real stuff.

Congrats John!!! Saw it on FB, waiting for Matt's picture to get uploaded.

Keith Perkins
06-23-2014, 04:33 PM
I wondered about this category...congrats John. What color gown did you wear to the awards banquet? :)

John_Nicholson
06-23-2014, 04:48 PM
LOL....Thanks folks. No gown for this one. I got busy and never got changed into my fancy clothes.....I went to the banquet in shorts and a t-shirt.......

Here is the fish. I stole the picture from Matt. I had him in the tank with his female until leaving for NADA. They fight a little but he was still in pretty good shape. He is still young so just might see him again in '16.

-john

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/homebredwinner_zps4acca724.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/homebredwinner_zps4acca724.jpg.html)

nc0gnet0
06-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Here is the fish. I stole the picture from Matt. I had him in the tank with his female until leaving for NADA. They fight a little but he was still in pretty good shape. He is still young so just might see him again in '16.

-john

challenge accepted :)

Congrats John!

-Rick

Skip
06-23-2014, 04:54 PM
challenge accepted :)

Congrats John!

-Rick

ooh.. nice!! titans of homebreed discus!!

YSS
06-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Not sure if John qualifies as a hobbyist. Isn't he the pro of the pros?

Tictok
06-23-2014, 05:43 PM
That discus is stunning! You definitely deserved the honor:)... Congrats!

Skip
06-23-2014, 05:44 PM
That discus is stunning! You definitely deserved the honor:)... Congrats!

the 4 siblings he brought for sale in Rental tanks.. were very nice also!!

not sure who got them..

John_Nicholson
06-23-2014, 05:45 PM
LOL....thanks for the compliment.

The category is for any fish that was bred and raised by the exhibitor. I do not know the exact numbers but over 10% of the fish fell into this category. This was the first NADA show that I have ever been able to show in. Most of the time I am either judging or am too closely tied to the judging to get to participate. I did teach a judging class this time but was not directly judging. I had a blast and hope that we now have enough judges that I can show again in 2016....just so I can kick Rick's arse....LOL.

-john

johnsus
06-23-2014, 05:48 PM
That is an awesome-looking fish. Congrats!!

pauline
06-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Very nice discus. Congratulations.

Nathanp
06-23-2014, 06:55 PM
To me breeding and showing is the true nature of the hobby and means the most! Congratulations!!!

musicmarn1
06-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Congrats John, your fish were a real pleasure to see in person! Still kicking myself for not bringing fish home but traveling with dogs and fish....not ready for that LOL

I want to breed my pairs now just so I can enter in 2016 it's a real fun goal now I know what's there I have an idea of what to work toward and it's just for fun :D

Thankyou so much team for all the hard work pulling it off, I hope it's CA next time that's close and I could help

nc0gnet0
06-23-2014, 07:02 PM
LOL....thanks for the compliment.

The category is for any fish that was bred and raised by the exhibitor. I do not know the exact numbers but over 10% of the fish fell into this category. This was the first NADA show that I have ever been able to show in. Most of the time I am either judging or am too closely tied to the judging to get to participate. I did teach a judging class this time but was not directly judging. I had a blast and hope that we now have enough judges that I can show again in 2016....just so I can kick Rick's arse....LOL.

-john

Lmao

John, as soon as I get this shipping thing figured out I will be all over you like stink on S***.

for everyone else reading this, I messed up on the shipping of the three fish ( Dleta had a hand to play in this as well) I was going to enter in this class and they arrived DOA-an incredibly embarrassing moment I must say.

-Rick

John_Nicholson
06-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Rick maybe next time you can drive either way I am lookijg forward to the competition. For everyone else thanks for the nice comments. I appreciation them.

-john

Keith Perkins
06-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Lmao

John, as soon as I get this shipping thing figured out I will be all over you like stink on S***.

for everyone else reading this, I messed up on the shipping of the three fish ( Dleta had a hand to play in this as well) I was going to enter in this class and they arrived DOA-an incredibly embarrassing moment I must say.

-Rick

Sorry to hear that Rick.

April
06-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Congrats on the win john! You deserve it !

JamesP
06-23-2014, 08:54 PM
John's fish is very nice and deserved the award. Nicely done John. In two more years he will be even more impressive. It was fun to see more entries this year in the home bred.

Jim

Ripplingfire
06-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Indeed good job putting us on the map with the win.... Not to worry the rest of us are taking notes and sooner than later we will be there to help you carry the flag.

John_Nicholson
06-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Thanks everyone. As far as I am concerned the more the merrier. I would love to see 1/2 the shoe be home bred fish.

-john

nc0gnet0
06-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks everyone. As far as I am concerned the more the merrier. I would love to see 1/2 the shoe be home bred fish.

-john

+1

Best thing for the hobby

Disgirl
06-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Well deserved John, a beautiful discus there!!
Barb

musicmarn1
06-23-2014, 09:48 PM

-john

Hear hear!! Couldn't agree more, I won't be so intimidated next time to enter but I would only really want to with a fish that has been at least grown out by me if not bred by me, we need a home grown category :) for the total novice class like myself:p

Sandy Clay
06-24-2014, 03:18 PM
I would not have expected anything less from you John...awesome fish!

DiscusLoverJeff
06-24-2014, 03:28 PM
LOL....Thanks folks. No gown for this one. I got busy and never got changed into my fancy clothes.....I went to the banquet in shorts and a t-shirt.......

-john

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/homebredwinner_zps4acca724.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/homebredwinner_zps4acca724.jpg.html)

Damn pretty fish. Congratulations.

Skip
06-24-2014, 03:33 PM
I would not have expected anything less from you John...awesome fish!

i know right..

makes me wonder why some people don't think he knows what he is talking about.. LOL..

Ryan
06-24-2014, 11:16 PM
That fish is gorgeous. John has a knack for raising out beautiful fish. It's a shame he's so terrible with a camera and we don't see them more often. :D

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 12:04 AM
Congrats John on your win. A very nice fish indeed.

pcsb23
06-25-2014, 01:37 PM

-johnWill you be giving a talk on breeding shoes? Perhaps to go with your dresses?:evilgrin:

Well done John :)

John_Nicholson
06-25-2014, 01:41 PM
LOL.....I have never been above making a typo or two.....

and Thanks.

-john

Swordsman
06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Congratulations! Well done!