PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed on canister filter

krislewis3
07-01-2014, 11:01 AM
I'd like to change out my penguin 350 hob, for a canister filter. The tank in question is 60 gallons, which houses 6 adult Discus, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 bn plecos, and 2 Cory cat fish. (Yes, I realize that I'm somewhat over stocked) I also use a large sponge filter.
Which canister filter would you guys recommend?

pcsb23
07-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Eheim Classic 2217 :)

krislewis3
07-01-2014, 04:23 PM

Thank you.........

Mgardner
07-01-2014, 06:29 PM
I prefer fluvals but Eheims are good filters too. Just don't get anEheim ecco.

OC Discus
07-01-2014, 07:28 PM
You could keep your penguin for bio filtration and add a magnum 350 with micron filter and purigen pouches. This is hugely effective at keeping ammonia and nitrite down and water crystal clear between changes.

DonMD
07-01-2014, 07:39 PM
I use Eheim canister filters, very reliable and absolutely quiet.

rickztahone
07-01-2014, 07:42 PM
On my 50g bowfront I have a Rena Xp2 and an Xp3. Super quite filters. I've had a pair of eheim 2213's in the past, and they were really good too. However, I like the tray method of the Rena filters as opposed to the 2213's where you put all the media in a cyclinder.

krislewis3
07-02-2014, 11:22 AM

I noticed that this eheim 2217 that you recommend, filters up to a 150 gallon tank! Since my tank is only 60 gallons, would you still recommend this one??

DiscusLoverJeff
07-02-2014, 11:26 AM
I noticed that this eheim 2217 that you recommend, filters up to a 150 gallon tank! Since my tank is only 60 gallons, would you still recommend this one??

That is a good filter. It will be fine for your tank.

You can buy an optional spray bar if you think it puts out too much water.

DonMD
07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
It also most likely has a valve that allows you to reduce the volume of water. It doesn't hurt at all to have a filter rated for double or more the volume of your tank, imo.

DISCUS STU
07-02-2014, 04:10 PM
I have a 60 gal. with an Eheim 2217 as the prefilter to a 2215 which is full of the Eheim Substrat bio spheres. I run a UV off of that but I like to over filter because I crowd a bit. The 2217 is good, reliable, quiet, and lasts for years and years.

DISCUS STU
07-02-2014, 04:15 PM
You can diffuse the outflow if it's too intense by using the spray bar or various other things. I'd also recommend two sets of the valves to make like easier when cleaning the filter. Generally I like to clean the filter once a month.

pcsb23
07-03-2014, 05:18 AM
I noticed that this eheim 2217 that you recommend, filters up to a 150 gallon tank! Since my tank is only 60 gallons, would you still recommend this one??Absolutely :) Look for the eheim 2217 plus, it comes with media (sponges but they work extremely well), and quick release taps, makes maintenance a doddle - iirc all of mine came with spray bars too.

krislewis3
07-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys for your advise! I ordered the eheim 2217 as recommended. One more question....once it arrives, and is set up (with the bb), will this eheim 2217 be enough filtration by itself? I'd like to get rid of my sponge filter, as well as my penguin 350.:confused:

pcsb23
07-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys for your advise! I ordered the eheim 2217 as recommended. One more question....once it arrives, and is set up (with the bb), will this eheim 2217 be enough filtration by itself? I'd like to get rid of my sponge filter, as well as my penguin 350.:confused:Once established then yes, comfortably so too.

rickztahone
07-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys for your advise! I ordered the eheim 2217 as recommended. One more question....once it arrives, and is set up (with the bb), will this eheim 2217 be enough filtration by itself? I'd like to get rid of my sponge filter, as well as my penguin 350.:confused:

As Paul said, yes you can. However, it is always good to have a seeded sponge filter floating around just in case...

krislewis3
07-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Once established then yes, comfortably so too.

GREAT!! That's just what I wanted to hear!! Kris

DonMD
07-04-2014, 12:28 PM
If you don't use a sponge filter in the tank, you should at least have an air stone going, unless you've got a heavily planted tank, imo.

buddha1200
07-04-2014, 04:00 PM
I use a fx5 on my 75 gallon(just turn the flow down) and it still does an excellent job.

krislewis3
07-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Yes....I have another question......should I follow the cleaning instructions that come with the eheim 2217, or follow a different cleaning regime because of the # of discus I have? (As in rinsing the media etc.) Kris

krislewis3
07-05-2014, 08:13 AM
If you don't use a sponge filter in the tank, you should at least have an air stone going, unless you've got a heavily planted tank, imo.

Yes....right now I have a sponge filter that I plan to get rid of, but I plan to keep the air stone going. Is that acceptable with the new eheim 2217 canister filter?

DonMD
07-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Sure. Just make sure that the air bubbles do not enter the filter intake, keep the stone away from the intake.

krislewis3
07-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Sure. Just make sure that the air bubbles do not enter the filter intake, keep the stone away from the intake.

Thanks again....advise taken upon arrival of my new cannister! Kris

Andrew157
07-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Ehiem makes very durable and long lasting filters... I just can't stand priming them! They are pricey but you get what you pay for. I also really like the Cascade canisters. They are very built and hold a lot of media.

krislewis3
07-21-2014, 06:39 AM
O.K. guys, i received my new eheim cannister 2217, and set it up. I cant believe how quiet it is. Since this is my first cannister filter, I am totally ignorant on how to clean it, and how often to clean it.
1. how often should i clean it? I have a 65 gallon tank housing 3 adult, and 2 juvinile discus, 2 bn plecos, 2 bolivian rams, and two cory cats.
2. I used the filter media that came with the filter, but im not sure what media needs to be rinsed in tank water, and which can be rinsed in tap water.
3. Im not sure which of the media needs replacing, and which dosent, and how often (approx)
4. I put a sponge sleeve on the intake cage, as a pre-filter, and which needs daily rinsing. Does this need to be rinsed in tank water, or is tap water o.k.? (I still have a seperate large sponge filter)
5. If I decide to remove my sponge filter, how long whould I wait for the BB to get established in my new cannister?:confused:

krislewis3
07-21-2014, 11:18 AM

What is the reason for this?

DonMD
07-21-2014, 11:34 AM

If the air bubbles from an air stone enter the intake to the filter, it's possible that the accumulating air will interfere with the proper pumping of water, and then you could get an airlock, in which case it would stop moving water. No moving water = no filtration. That's happened to me. Just make sure the air stone is a couple inches away from the intake.

OC Discus
07-21-2014, 10:59 PM
Kris,

Separating the air stone from the filter can also improve circulation, de-gassing at the surface, and increase oxygen in the tank. I have 4 sources of movement in my 55g display tank: 2 HOB, 1 Canister, and 1 Air stone. I try to spread them evenly about 1 foot apart. That way the surface gets broken at 4 different points, putting more oxygen in and letting more gas out. It also helps move waste to the filters and eliminate dead spots.

krislewis3
07-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Thank you guys for the air stone near the intake question!!
Can you enlighten me on the rest.of my questions.....pretty please???? (This is my first cannister filter)

OC Discus
07-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Chris, I don't have that particular model, but the instructions should let you know what the biological media is, if it has any. This will be the last chamber before the water leaves the canister and should be a sponge or rings or something. You don't clean that unless it gets clogged up, then you rinse it in tank water. The other filters probably need cleaning at least monthly or when you notice the flow is reduced or you hear the motor straining. I like to keep two sets of filters so I can clean the canister quickly. When it's time to clean it, put the bio media in a bowl of tank water so it doesn't die. Remove everything from the canister and rinse the inside under hot tap water. You can use a bottle brush to clean the surfaces. Clean all the parts under hot running water and reinstall them in the proper order. Put in your extra set of filter media at the proper time and start it back up. Then you can rinse your original media under hot water and soak it over night in a bleach solution if you are comfortable doing that. The next day rinse it under hot running water again. I like to let mine soak overnight in clean water or a prime solution. The next day rinse again and lay it out to dry. On e it's dry you can store it so it's ready for the next water change.

I usually do this after I've drained about 80% of the water and refilled the tank with clean dechlorinated water. I have two hob filters and an air stone I turn on while cleaning the canister. When I replace the floss in the hob it is not the same day as the canister just so too much beneficial bacteria is not removed at one time.

Hope that helps. If you have an extra chamber you might want to put some purigen pouches in there. They polish the water and help keep it healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim LI
07-22-2014, 04:25 PM
One other thing I would suggest is when you put the filter back together, place the filter floss on top of the course pad, not on top of the substrat. this way you get the cleanest water going through the substrat, making it more effective. The substrat won't get as clogged this way. I also use eheim pre-filters (http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5073853_main_enh.jpg) on the intake tubes of mine. I use 2 - 2217a in my 72 gallon tank

krislewis3
07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the help!!

pcsb23
07-24-2014, 07:08 AM
What media came with the filter?

The last few I've bought all came with sponges (which work surprisingly well). As for cleaning I minimise this by using a pre-filter - I wrap floss around the intake tube and every couple of weeks throw it away an put new on. The internal media rarely gets too much attention, an occasional squeeze out is all using de-chlorinated water.

krislewis3
07-24-2014, 09:58 AM
It has 4 types of media. The first layer at the bottom of the cannister is ehimech, above that is ehifix, above that is ehifsubstrate, and on the top is ehifsynth. (There is also a carbon pad which is used only for the first couple of weeks)
Im thinking that the ehifsynth needs replacing at cleaning. The ehifsubstrate holds the bb?????i think, so one would just replace half of it at a time, during cleaning! The other two I'm thinking can be used over and over, and can be rinsed in tap water???? I'm not sure about any of this. The directions are so confusing. If you guys could enlighten me, I'd be most grateful!! Kris

pcsb23
07-24-2014, 11:00 AM
The first one is what Eheim describe as mechanical filtration (eheim mech), designed to trap particles etc. It will also develop bacteria which will contribute to the filtration. This can be rinsed in clean de-chlorinated water and will rarely (if ever) need replacing. If you rinse it or wash it in ordinary tap water it may compromise any biological ability it has, whilst it won't provide as much as the substrat it does provide a useful amount. This should look like hollow ceramic tubes.

The next one, the eheim fix, is used to keep the various media apart, so they don't mix. This again can be rinsed in clean de-chlorinated water and will contribute a little towards filtration, both mechanically and biologically. As it is thin washing it under the tap won't be a major issue. This is usually green and looks a bit like matting. Should last a long time

The eheim substrat is the main biological filtration material, but as already stated all of the media contribute to this. It should only be rinsed in clean de-chlorinated water. Lasts well but over time it does break down/clog a little (years and years - not months). It is really good stuff ime.

The last is just a form of filter floss and polishes the water before it returns to the tank, it can be rinsed once or twice in a push but I just replace it with ordinary pond filter floss matting (from eBay). I also use this same material wrapped around the intake tube to act as a pre-filter (mechanical only really) and this reduces the number of times I need to "maintain" the filter.

It is wise to use the carbon pad for a week or two, but do remove it after that.

To speed up the colonisation of the media, squeeze your existing sponge filter into the canister or if it is already setup, squeeze it a couple of times under the water very near to the intake pipe. Do it slowly if in the tank.

Hope that helps. They are superb filters.

krislewis3
07-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Paul, You just helped me BIG TIME!!!!! Just one more question, about the eheim substrate that you mention, is this what looks like ceramic tubes?

pcsb23
07-26-2014, 02:26 PM
No, the ehfimech looks like ceramic tubes, the ehifsubstrate is either granular and white/grey or small balls that are light brown in colour.

nc0gnet0
07-26-2014, 03:47 PM
No, the ehfimech looks like ceramic tubes, the ehifsubstrate is either granular and white/grey or small balls that are light brown in colour.

I have always just used this:

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/filter-media/biological/lav

I found it to work just as well as the higher priced stuff (ehiem subtrate pro, etc).

pcsb23
07-27-2014, 05:13 AM
I have always just used this:

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/filter-media/biological/lav

I found it to work just as well as the higher priced stuff (ehiem subtrate pro, etc).I've used that in the past too and it works just fine. Kris was supplied the media with the filter so doen't need to buy it (I think).

wild discus
11-04-2014, 09:50 PM
I recently asked the same question regarding which canister to use - settled on an Eheim. I also found video on You Tube regarding the set up of almost any canister - very interesting. The media he uses is Biohome, a sintered glass product. With a little effort you should be able to find the video. I thnk he goes by "pondguru". Alot of what he says makes good sense.

Found it - Just go to You Tube and search Canister Filter Set Up

krislewis3
11-10-2014, 08:17 AM
I recently asked the same question regarding which canister to use - settled on an Eheim. I also found video on You Tube regarding the set up of almost any canister - very interesting. The media he uses is Biohome, a sintered glass product. With a little effort you should be able to find the video. I thnk he goes by "pondguru". Alot of what he says makes good senses just

Found it - Just go to You Tube and search Canister Filter Set Up

Thank you very much.......Kris