PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep Chickens?

brewmaster15
07-08-2014, 10:13 AM
I used to keep chickens a few years ago.. I started with a batch of 12 Rhode Island Red leghorn Crosses which were great hens, great egg layers and very robust birds. We kept those 2 years and then decided to get a new group... 2-3 each of several breeds...that was the plan. Another person was to go in on the order so I order 35 chicks. The other person bailed I ended up with 32 chickens...a tad many for needs....but we raised them and got them laying. It became way too expensive and too much work so we sold the hens and converted the coop to a shed. That was a few years ago.

Recently a friend in the neighbor got chickens and I've been the recipient of some eggs ...I'd forgotten how much better a fresh egg tasted! Needless to say I got the chicken bug again. This time on a smaller scale.. haven't gotten them yet, but the limit is 4 this time...I've learned my lesson! Not getting chicks, going to pick up some young chickens .

My Kids and I just finished the Coop...have to fence in the run for them, and they will get the back yard as well for free ranging a bit. Should be fun.

-al
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82925&d=1404828544

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82923&d=1404828544

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82924&d=1404828544

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82926&d=1404828544

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82927&d=1404828555

John_Nicholson
07-08-2014, 10:34 AM
We keep chickens. Right now we have 19. I don't keep ours up. My wife hates grass hoppers so the main job of our flock is pest control.

-john

pauline
07-08-2014, 10:38 AM
I used to have chickens. A few Bantams and a big hen...I forgot the name. I miss my hens and the wonderful, rich eggs they produced. The watery, thin shelled, mass produced grocery store eggs will never compare.

Enjoy your new chickens.

Chicago Discus
07-08-2014, 10:42 AM
We use to have chickens when I was a kid. People would come and buy the eggs from my mother. But I live in a urban setting so chickens would not work well here. Gosh Al your children are all grown up the last time i seen a photo of them they were pretty small still......:):)......Josie

judijetson
07-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Nice coop Al, we have 12 Barred Rock hens and really enjoy the fresh eggs.

Luckily we have a 40 acre vegetable farm so feeding them in the summer & fall is inexpensive for us. Here's some of the girls...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/08/yqyzugap.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Discus-n00b
07-08-2014, 10:58 AM
If I had the room and didn't live in the "city" I'd love to have them. Maybe one day. Looking good Al!

Keith Perkins
07-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Sorry for the wet blanket toss but having grown up adjacent to grandpa's farm and remembering what the chicken coop was like I don't mind buying my eggs. Madison, WI, the Midwest capital for the progressive left cracks me up, no pun intended. :) People in town there seem to love their chickens...while they're laying. Afterwards however many don't have the heart to make soup out of them so then what. The animal refuge centers now have a glut of old chicken as do many of the parks. If you're going to do it, just think it ALL the way through.

pcsb23
07-08-2014, 11:56 AM
I eat chicken ... and eggs - does that count?:evilgrin:

I can't believe how big Becky has got!!

Skip
07-08-2014, 11:57 AM
i wish i lived on some land to get some of them... :)

Second Hand Pat
07-08-2014, 11:58 AM
That paint job really brings that coop together Al. We had chickens when Diana has little. Generally just a couple at the time. Diana was tickled when two little bantam chicks grew up as a hen and rooster.

Discus-n00b
07-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Sorry for the wet blanket toss but having grown up adjacent to grandpa's farm and remembering what the chicken coop was like I don't mind buying my eggs. Madison, WI, the Midwest capital for the progressive left cracks me up, no pun intended. :) People in town there seem to love their chickens...while they're laying. Afterwards however many don't have the heart to make soup out of them so then what. The animal refuge centers now have a glut of old chicken as do many of the parks. If you're going to do it, just think it ALL the way through.

Some good ol southern fried crispy fried chicken would be delicious! ;) Eggs in the morning, chicken for dinner.....I have no issue with it!

brewmaster15
07-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Keith,

Sorry for the wet blanket toss but having grown up adjacent to grandpa's farm and remembering what the chicken coop was like I don't mind buying my eggs. Madison, WI, the Midwest capital for the progressive left cracks me up, no pun intended. People in town there seem to love their chickens...while they're laying. Afterwards however many don't have the heart to make soup out of them so then what. The animal refuge centers now have a glut of old chicken as do many of the parks. If you're going to do it, just think it ALL the way through.

My last batch of chickens were half for meat and half for eggs. I've no problem with dual purpose.I'm a pragmatist,hunter, and survivalist. My first batch of chickens went into the soup pot...I have to say honestly though... no amount of boiling will make an old hen tender. Edible Yes, but tender...no.

Josie and Paul... yes The kids have grown fast and tall. Becky has has shot up the last year incredibly and Ethan is just starting his...I fear both will be looking down on me soon.

Judi,

Nice coop Al, we have 12 Barred Rock hens and really enjoy the fresh eggs.

Luckily we have a 40 acre vegetable farm so feeding them in the summer & fall is inexpensive for us. Here's some of the girls...

We had several Barred Rocks my second batch of chickens.. Yours bring back memories! I wouldnt mind another 1 of these.

Pauline,

I used to have chickens. A few Bantams and a big hen...I forgot the name. I miss my hens and the wonderful, rich eggs they produced. The watery, thin shelled, mass produced grocery store eggs will never compare.

Enjoy your new chickens. Its amazing the difference, isn't it. Those store bought eggs are often months old by the time you get them...yet they still call them "fresh".

Matt & Skip... They are a bit of work,especially up here in the winter... but worth it if you ever have a chance.

John... yep...great insect control.!

-al

DiscusLoverJeff
07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Al, is there anything you haven't tried? Lol

Second Hand Pat
07-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Al, is there anything you haven't tried? Lol

Peafowl maybe?

John_Nicholson
07-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Peacocks rock but I do not currently have any.

-john

Rudustin
07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Done Peafowl! Don't do it!!!! LOL!

brewmaster15
07-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Done Peafowl! Don't do it!!!! LOL!
A house a couple of homes from mine had 15 guinea fowl ...they were never a problem until adults then they wandered...to mine and neighbors yards....very loud birds..not nice sounding at all.The owners could care less...thankfully one by one nature got ahold of them until there was only one loud mouth left. ...which then made its home in the woods next me. Beautiful bird. We had a few days of quiet and thought...thank god!

Next day there was a parade of 2 guinea fowl and about 20 chicks across my yard! Ah well they are still in the area but seem to stay around their owners place.

nc0gnet0
07-08-2014, 08:49 PM
.I have to say honestly though... no amount of boiling will make an old hen tender. Edible Yes, but tender...no.

Toss them in a pressure cooker, bones and all, toss in some veggies, brown rice, cook the **** out of it, best dog food you can get.

pauline
07-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Toss them in a pressure cooker, bones and all, toss in some veggies, brown rice, cook the **** out of it, best dog food you can get.

That's what I feed my dog.

Scribbles
07-08-2014, 11:39 PM
I've done the chicken thing. It makes sense if you like eggs and chicken. I don't car much for either and cleaning out the coop in summer wasn't the high point of my day. Your set up looks nice Al. Best of luck with your hens.

Chris

yim11
07-09-2014, 01:07 AM
Had chickens for years now, love the fresh eggs - taste so much better than store bought and more nutritional! When they quit laying they've earned a trip to the grill.

Chad Adams
07-09-2014, 08:34 PM
We have 6 Ancona Ducks... Does that count?
The eggs are good, but different from chickens. Huge Yolk!
We would love to have chickens, but not both!. Lol.

Chad

Keith Perkins
07-09-2014, 08:52 PM
I've seen or heard two or three things about "residential" chickens since I made my first post on this thread yesterday, I'm thinking it's revenge of the chickens.

Ripplingfire
07-09-2014, 09:02 PM
If more people had to kill there own meat there would prob be more vegitarians. City living is making us into live stock ... we just get our genetically modified food at the supermaket instead of the trough. On a more positive note ... great work on the hen house.

OC Discus
07-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Chicken farming has gone high tech. I know a guy with two commercial chicken barns. You have to shower and suit up to go in like you were going into the place where apple is making iphones.

Keith Perkins
07-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Chicken farming has gone high tech. I know a guy with two commercial chicken barns. You have to shower and suit up to go in like you were going into the place where apple is making iphones.

LOL, and to think as kids all we had to do was remember to shut the door when we went into grandpa's coop.

Second Hand Pat
07-09-2014, 09:58 PM
LOL, and to think as kids all we had to do was remember to shut the door when we went into grandpa's coop.

Yea, we ate dirt as kids too.

OC Discus
07-09-2014, 10:11 PM
I was afraid to reach under the chickens and get their eggs at my grandmothers house when I was a kid. A big Rhode Island Red rooster started chasing us one day and my cousing swung a hoe handle at it. Hit it in the head and killed it.

Yea, we ate dirt as kids too.

Second Hand Pat
07-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Yea, there are better ways to wrangle roosters. Hope that didn't get you two into too much trouble.

OC Discus
07-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Our defense was he was chasing us.

Yea, there are better ways to wrangle roosters. Hope that didn't get you two into too much trouble.

yim11
07-09-2014, 11:11 PM
If more people had to kill there own meat there would prob be more vegitarians. City living is making us into live stock ... we just get our genetically modified food at the supermaket instead of the trough. On a more positive note ... great work on the hen house.

You might be right, could depend on the person. I've been harvesting my own meat for years now (venison), do my own veggies (not enough for all year) and all the eggs I need. Also make my own detergents and cleaning materials. It was never about saving money, doing it this way cost a lot more, it was more about 'I'm tired of all the strange crap in the stuff I eat and use'.

brewmaster15
07-10-2014, 08:39 PM
You might be right, could depend on the person. I've been harvesting my own meat for years now (venison), do my own veggies (not enough for all year) and all the eggs I need. Also make my own detergents and cleaning materials. It was never about saving money, doing it this way cost a lot more, it was more about 'I'm tired of all the strange crap in the stuff I eat and use'.

Jim,
I think alot of people are looking at the way they get what they need and trying to relearn old ways... for me, Nothing is better than something I have made or harvested with my own 2 hands... whether its hunting and fishing, gardening (my god the number of quart jars I Store tomatoes and and salsa in each year! WE have also have our own herb garden here with everything we need to cook with and then some.. Of course theres making homemade ales, wines and Meads. Heck I even make my own Arrows now from time to time. Its not about the costs you are right...Its more about the act of doing it and the results...I think.

--al

brewmaster15
07-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Finished framing the run and the roof of the run...Its 4 ft X 8 feet, plus another 4 feet under the coop, gives them 4 feet X 12 feet that should be usable in the winters here...They'll also have access to the Back yard for Ranging. I just have to put up the wire now and get the birds.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82951&d=1405039855

If you look close you can see the coop is next to my turtle pen.

-al

OC Discus
07-10-2014, 09:33 PM
I thought that was for the guard dog, to keep foxes and raccoons out of the chicken coop. what kind of turtle is in there? Pics?

brewmaster15
07-11-2014, 09:17 AM
I thought that was for the guard dog, to keep foxes and raccoons out of the chicken coop. what kind of turtle is in there? Pics?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?59185-I-know-they-aren-t-round-Red-footed-Tortoises

Keith Perkins
07-11-2014, 11:47 AM
This would be the one change I'd make to class it up a bit.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/CozyKeith/deVille_zps53940958.png (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/CozyKeith/media/deVille_zps53940958.png.html)

pcsb23
07-11-2014, 12:26 PM
@ Keith - very droll :)

brewmaster15
07-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Lol Keith... :D

Coop is completed... Just need the chickens now.:) Took a bit more time and work than I planned but happy enough with the results.

-al

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82955&d=1405435442

Second Hand Pat
07-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Looks great Al, nice and critter prove.

brewmaster15
07-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Well went out today to check out some Hens..Not a good sign when you pull in and theres a Dead chicken being eaten by the others in the poultry yard. The yard looked clean,corpse aside, but the chickens looked off...some just didn't look healthy, others looked great. The Dead bird was obviously there longer than a day, not to be graphic, but it looked like the vultures had been picking it over for days. Now I know Birds die, but the seller knew I was coming by and was working in the yard when I arrived. Would you not have at least checked your stock that day? It wasn't like it was hidden away... it was smack dab in the center of the yard in plain sight. When I pointed it out, he tried to tell me it was sleeping, and pointed to others that had dug shallow pits. I said,"Umm, sorry but that ones not waking up unless its a zombie." Then he acknowledged that it was dead and went over to remove it.

It reminded me of some discus sellers out there, and off course I applied the same logic to it.. I would not buy discus from a seller with dead discus in the tank being eaten by the others, or with a some looking sick....so I sure as heck didn't buy any hens there!

The search continues... not too many poultry farmers in CT..so I may be making a road trip soon.

-al

Second Hand Pat
07-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Really Al, that was crazy. Guess that dude did not really want to sale any hens. :(

brewmaster15
07-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Pat,
Its funny, when I got there, I didn't bring up the dead hen at all...just talked with the guy and he was a talker... I got the impression he thought I was newbie and really poured it on. When he realized I had kept chickens for several years, his manner changed. My guess is he probably gets many first time buyers, and this is just how he operates. Just not a good person to buy from. I was a bit bummed as I spent last night knocking together a combination transport cage and future chick penn ( kids 4 H project)... but oh well. I'm not in a rush.This time of year is not the best for buying pullets....whats availible is either old, or goes fast.

The problem is the longer the coop stays empty, the more I look at strains, and get interested in the exotic ones. Gee..sounds like the discus bug doesnt it?

-al

Second Hand Pat
07-19-2014, 10:16 PM
LOL Al, well, you can get one of each one but truly a single strain chicken coop is way cool.

brewmaster15
07-19-2014, 10:29 PM
I did the multiple strains... no thanks. But I am really falling for some of the rarer strains... for instance, I really like these Barnevelders..http://www.fossilrockfarm.com/sample-page/

-al

Second Hand Pat
07-19-2014, 10:33 PM
They sound perfect and beautiful. Definitely a winner in my book.

brewmaster15
07-19-2014, 10:38 PM
I can get them as Eggs if I drive 5 hours or chicks in a few weeks.. but I am patient but not 7 months patient as far as getting eggs. The more I study this situation the more Discus Parallels I see! LOL!!!
I often tell people to be patient with their discus...I should probably take my own advice huh?

al

Second Hand Pat
07-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Definitely Al. Remember you are getting late in the year. I would almost be tempted to get the chicks and they will be ready to lay in the spring and good sized for this coming winter.
Pat

Keith Perkins
07-20-2014, 08:35 AM
I have to admit, those are some nice looking birds Al. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures etc of the continuing saga, haven't been this interested in a bird story since someone spun a yarn about her crow.

April
07-20-2014, 01:03 PM
I've had chickens a few times. Last summer before I sold the shop I had thrn in the back. Buff Orpington, silky, and buckeye. I was selling chicken feed at the shop so figured I'd collect the chickens also.years ago we raised rhode is
And red sex link chicks. My daughter did her girl guide poultry badge with day old chicks then we kept a few. Love chickens. Vancouver can have urban chickens .

OC Discus
07-20-2014, 01:48 PM
How about ordering online, like discus. Can you find a really good breeder and order some good stock?

humanbeardog
07-20-2014, 01:51 PM
I wish I lived where chickens are allowed

Second Hand Pat
07-20-2014, 02:02 PM
... Vancouver can have urban chickens .

So does Oviedo, Florida which is about 30 minutes away from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3nYqOYQ74k

brewmaster15
07-20-2014, 05:49 PM
How about ordering online, like discus. Can you find a really good breeder and order some good stock? Thats what I did the first two sets of chickens I had, and it was fine. This time around I was hoping to get some local Hens of egg laying age. My have to go the chick route again. I have had some additional contact with a seller of those Barnvelders and I am exploring that route there. Means I have to be patient (yeah right) but It may be very worthwhile in the end.

-al

CraigJ
07-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Madison, WI, the Midwest capital for the progressive left cracks me up, no pun intended. :) People in town there seem to love their chickens...while they're laying. Afterwards however many don't have the heart to make soup out of them so then what. The animal refuge centers now have a glut of old chicken as do many of the parks.
Yep, we in Madison are not known for eating our pets. I think the parks are being over-run by wild turkeys, not chickens.

brewmaster15
07-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Well Hopefully latter today I will have some Hens...I ran an ad in the local craigslist and someone contacted me that they have Rhode Island Reds about 1 1/2 years old. They are getting out of the Hobby. My first Chickens were a sex linked Rhode Island Red Cross..and they were extremely good hens, hardy and great layers...so I am hopeful with these.

I've also been in touch with a breeder of the "barnevelders" that I really want to get, and am on their egg List.... My kids are in 4H and my wife's the 4 H leader so we plan on getting some fertile eggs when available and the kids will use them as a project...then they'll replace any aging Rhode Island Hens.

Thats the plan at least.

-al

brewmaster15
07-29-2014, 07:19 PM
The Journey has begun...I have my Rhode Island Red Hens, package deal/steal.. 8 hens @ 1 1/2 years old...$8 each. I really only wanted 4-5 but not something to pass up. They are pretty healthy, well taken care , but were not free ranged and show some signs of a few being the picked on ( Gee...just like Discus!;) They will enjoy the free ranging here once they settle in. I also need to do some picking and Choosing as I really only need 5, that will be after I have a chance to watch them a bit.

I'm pretty sure they are the standard sex linked crosses, plain looking but great layers.. Ironic...I started with this line years ago ,and here I am again with them.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83042&d=1406675756

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83043&d=1406675756

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83044&d=1406675756

kinda cool having chickens again...looking forward to eggs for breakfast tomorrow.

-al

Second Hand Pat
07-29-2014, 07:43 PM
Cool Al, they look great. Congrats on the new girls :D

Keith Perkins
07-29-2014, 09:51 PM
What will be the fate of the other 3 Al? The sales block or the chopping block?

brewmaster15
07-29-2014, 10:06 PM
What will be the fate of the other 3 Al? The sales block or the chopping block?

Sales block since they are young and producing eggs :).. The guy I got them from had 15 calls between this morning when he placed the ad and when I got them... guess theres a market!
al

Keith Perkins
07-29-2014, 10:09 PM
I guess there is a market, glad you got there first.

brewmaster15
07-30-2014, 09:39 AM
I guess there is a market, glad you got there first.
Me Too!

Collected 5 eggs so far and they are still clucking...My son just collected his first egg and has claimed it for an egg, ham and Cheese sandwich.:o

-al

Keith Perkins
07-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Egg, ham and cheese...sounds like you're going to be needing a pig and cow next.

Second Hand Pat
07-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Egg, ham and cheese...sounds like you're going to be needing a pig and cow next.

and don't forget the horses. Good for kid transport and basic kid entertainment.

brewmaster15
07-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Can't have a horse here but would like one, however, I have always wanted a Dexter Cow ....small breeds good milk....HMMMM..lol

-al

Discus-n00b
07-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Can't have a horse here but would like one, however, I have always wanted a Dexter Cow ....small breeds good milk....HMMMM..lol

-al

I never knew such thing as a Dexter Cow existed until now. I'm a milk addict. You are opening my eyes to a lot of farm life Al & company. Maybe some day I'll have space to keep it lol.

brewmaster15
12-03-2014, 11:09 AM
My newest Chickens just started laying... These girls are 6 months...Tiny egg in the middle of the cartoon... The other eggs are from my older Hens..

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/Snakebyte2/chickens/20141201_072435_zps5a6c5b0e.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Snakebyte2/media/chickens/20141201_072435_zps5a6c5b0e.jpg.html)

-al

brewmaster15
12-03-2014, 11:13 AM
The old hens are Rhode Island Reds crosses... This group of new hens are

Buff Rocks
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/Snakebyte2/chickens/20141123_120628_zps5b8ab7cb.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Snakebyte2/media/chickens/20141123_120628_zps5b8ab7cb.jpg.html)

Partridge Rocks
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/Snakebyte2/chickens/20141123_171139_zps66b68cc5.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Snakebyte2/media/chickens/20141123_171139_zps66b68cc5.jpg.html)

Barred Rocks...
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/Snakebyte2/chickens/20141123_171145_zps3ba84bb3.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Snakebyte2/media/chickens/20141123_171145_zps3ba84bb3.jpg.html)

I had bought these back in August from a local hobbyist when they were a few months old.

-al

Keith Perkins
12-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Yum, what time is Breakfast Al.

fishin'fool
12-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Curious, where do you keep them in winter Al?

brewmaster15
12-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Curious, where do you keep them in winter Al?

They stay in their coops and the yard as the weather allows. They have heat lamps in the coop that provide enough warmth and extends the light period so that they lay eggs through the winter. I've also chosen breeds that are known to be pretty cold hardy and are well suited for CT. They pretty much get let out of the coops every morning, and are free to go inside if they need to. As night falls, they instinctively return to the safety of the coop to roost for the night.

-al

brewmaster15
12-12-2014, 09:11 AM
The new ones are now laying 2-3 small eggs a day.. won't be long before they all are.

-al

brewmaster15
12-30-2014, 09:49 AM
update here...

I re-homed my 8 original Rhode Island Red Hens.. They were still laying eggs but we were getting fewer... maybe 2-3 a day from 8 hens. Craigslist success.. sold with 36 hours and there was alot of interest.

My young hens... started with 11... had 7 buff, 3 partridge plymouth, and 2 barred Rocks.. One Buff died unknown causes.. currently have 11 hens... all are now laying . Really healthy stock... these were from mcmurray hatchery the former owner told me. I have bought from other hatcheries in the past, but have to say the health and robust size of these lines I have from McMurray Hatchery is incredible.

Eggs are almost full size now... and we have at least one hen giving us Doubles:)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84368&d=1419947283

I'm really enjoying this group.

al

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2014, 09:55 AM
It looks yummy Al. I use to get eggs from my former riding instructor on a weekly basis but she injured herself and had to give up riding so I do not see her in a regular basis. I miss the fresh eggs. We use to collect eggs from my daughter's geese. A goose eggs makes about three hen eggs and is a tab richer.

brewmaster15
12-30-2014, 10:44 AM
It looks yummy Al. I use to get eggs from my former riding instructor on a weekly basis but she injured herself and had to give up riding so I do not see her in a regular basis. I miss the fresh eggs. We use to collect eggs from my daughter's geese. A goose eggs makes about three hen eggs and is a tab richer. one of these days I want to try an ostritch egg...:D I don't think my neighbors would like that. There was someone in the town that had 2 emu's that got loose. Nothing like a 2 day emu hunt in a small town to make things interesting I guess.

If I had a farm, I would try these big birds for sure.

al

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2014, 10:50 AM
That would feed your whole family Al :D

nc0gnet0
12-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Eggs are almost full size now... and we have at least one hen giving us Doubles

If you had a rooster, would a double ever hatch?

brewmaster15
12-30-2014, 11:23 AM
If you had a rooster, would a double ever hatch? sometimes...but its not common.

al.

brewmaster15
12-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Hey Rick...

http://youtu.be/S1ZeEY-kt7A

nc0gnet0
12-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Very cool, wonder if they both lived?

jimg
01-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Funny thing, i have hatched and raised hundreds of chickens and never saw twins or eggs with twin yokes. yesterday my wife was making breakfast and had an egg with 2 yokes, I came on sd and saw this post awhile later.....

Lilly
01-09-2015, 05:19 PM
updated pics please;)

Tankster
01-09-2015, 05:43 PM
This spring the wife and I are going to jump in. Time to start building a coop and researching chickens! We are thinking 6 to start, and will go with a good hearty variety to carry us through the learning curve.

brewmaster15
01-10-2015, 02:41 PM
This spring the wife and I are going to jump in. Time to start building a coop and researching chickens! We are thinking 6 to start, and will go with a good hearty variety to carry us through the learning curve.

Thats Great Greg! Let me know if you need any info...be happy to share what I know.

al

brewmaster15
01-10-2015, 02:45 PM
updated pics please;)

HI Lilly,
Here you go, fresh off the cellphone!

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/Snakebyte2/chickens/20150110_131821_zps96578087.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Snakebyte2/media/chickens/20150110_131821_zps96578087.jpg.html)

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/Snakebyte2/chickens/20150110_131747_zps629c1986.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Snakebyte2/media/chickens/20150110_131747_zps629c1986.jpg.html)

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/Snakebyte2/chickens/20150110_131608_zps27986988.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Snakebyte2/media/chickens/20150110_131608_zps27986988.jpg.html)

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/Snakebyte2/chickens/20150110_131547_zps72b5fa74.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Snakebyte2/media/chickens/20150110_131547_zps72b5fa74.jpg.html)

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/Snakebyte2/chickens/20150110_131535_zpsac677910.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Snakebyte2/media/chickens/20150110_131535_zpsac677910.jpg.html)

I'll take some better ones with my DSLR latter.

al

nc0gnet0
01-10-2015, 03:23 PM
zucchini/yellow squash?

brewmaster15
01-10-2015, 04:46 PM
zucchini/yellow squash?

Yellow squash... I try to give them as much fresh veggies as I can in the winter. During the growing season they forage for greens in the yard and get all kinds of greens from the gardens.They are particularly fond of dandelions, day lily,collard greens, and grape leaves. They enjoy squash, pumpkins ect as treats. If you want good eggs, you need to give them good food.

They also don't mind any table scraps we might have.

al

brewmaster15
01-15-2015, 05:15 PM
So I got an email from an old friend visiting the forum that wanted to know more about keeping chickens. I thought I'd answer it here.

First off, as a resource for info, theres alot of good sites, I really like, http://www.backyardchickens.com its the SimplyDiscus of the Chicken world!;)

Protecting these guys from predators is really important. In coops I have made in the past, we have had raccoons get in, but this one is build pretty well, and raised off the ground which keeps out the rodents too. The chickens go in every night on their own, we have to go and close the door in the pm, and open it the am. They do make a really cool automatic door, but its expensive, $250. You can set it on a timer. I have a DIY idea for one that I think I will try when I have time, for now, its the old fashion way it was done... I walk out, latch the door and walk back.

Some people build elaborate wire pens, My chickens roam the fenced in backyard. By day they need to watch out for hawks, we have had a few close calls, nothing fatal yet. Some people keep roosters as a deterent for hawks and coons. The rooster will put up a good fight. I can't have them here though. Neighbors would kill me. My biggest worry out here is the packs of coyotes that move thru the woods behind the pen and fence. We have a good size population here. I've no doubt that if a chicken would be left out , theyd be a midnight snack. WE also have fox denning up here.

Anyone thinking of do this, let me know. Post your questions and be happy to help.

al

Skip
01-15-2015, 06:55 PM
http://greenfirefarms.com/wp-content/uploads/cem-046.jpg

when i get some land.. i am calling you!! so i can get these guys going :)

brewmaster15
01-16-2015, 10:25 AM
http://greenfirefarms.com/wp-content/uploads/cem-046.jpg

when i get some land.. i am calling you!! so i can get these guys going :)

That is one beautiful Bird! "ayam-cemani"

http://greenfirefarms.com/chicken/ayam-cemani/;)

That farm has some awesome breeds!

al

Skip
01-16-2015, 11:00 AM
not sure if i would let them loose!!.. too Valuable..

zimmjeff
01-16-2015, 10:19 PM
mini roosters?????? Jeff

brewmaster15
03-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Im thinking my chickens are as sick of the snow as I am!

And of course its snowing again today!

zimmjeff
03-20-2015, 09:50 PM
just passed a law today. You can have up to 9 chickens. Jeff

Tankster
03-20-2015, 11:29 PM
Hey Al,

Going to be building the coop in the next few weeks. I can't believe April is approaching already. I do have a couple questions for you.

-What is the latest (month) I should consider starting our flock? I do well with timelines, otherwise it becomes "I'll get to that tomorrow".

-What is your opinion on Rhode Island Reds. I would like both egg producers and meat. Once they stop laying, it's on the dinner table :)

Thanks!

brewmaster15
03-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Hi Greg,
Just saw this...
Rhode Island Reds are an excellent breed to start with.. They are great producers, hardy, and have a good disposition. As for dual purpose.. I know they market them as such, but they will not be great meat producers... soup is fine.

If you plan on chicks , nows a good time... But really anytime this spring is good. Agways start selling chicks and pullets at around now. You can usually find egg laying pullets or soon to be egg layers anytime during the spring/summer. My last group was a group of 1 1/2 -2 year old adult RI Reds that I got on craigslist. I kept these while I was growing some youngster end of the summer, which are now my eggs layers.

I have 2 coops now, one for the current layers and one for new comers..

al

Tankster
03-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Hi Greg,
Just saw this...
Rhode Island Reds are an excellent breed to start with.. They are great producers, hardy, and have a good disposition. As for dual purpose.. I know they market them as such, but they will not be great meat producers... soup is fine.

If you plan on chicks , nows a good time... But really anytime this spring is good. Agways start selling chicks and pullets at around now. You can usually find egg laying pullets or soon to be egg layers anytime during the spring/summer. My last group was a group of 1 1/2 -2 year old adult RI Reds that I got on craigslist. I kept these while I was growing some youngster end of the summer, which are now my eggs layers.

I have 2 coops now, one for the current layers and one for new comers..

al

Thanks!

brewmaster15
03-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Hens are really happy to see some dirt to scratch in!

rickztahone
03-24-2015, 08:47 PM
That looks like a huge backyard you have Al. How big is it?

brewmaster15
03-24-2015, 10:15 PM
That looks like a huge backyard you have Al. How big is it?
My yard ends just beyond the fence.. most of my property is in the front yard... we are on just a tad over an acre here. Its a nice neighborhood. Farm across the street. I can see houses in the woods behind me, but aside from the perpetual dog barking at one, or the quads at the other. Its a quiet Neighborhood.:)

al

rickztahone
03-24-2015, 10:50 PM
My yard ends just beyond the fence.. most of my property is in the front yard... we are on just a tad over an acre here. Its a nice neighborhood. Farm across the street. I can see houses in the woods behind me, but aside from the perpetual dog barking at one, or the quads at the other. Its a quiet Neighborhood.:)

al

That is so sweet. Do you know how much an acre would cost here in my area?

brewmaster15
03-25-2015, 07:20 AM
No idea..how much? Out here in Ct prices vary much depending on the area. Some counties are hugely rich .... the land and home values there are "life style of the rich and famous " I live in a small town..in a not so rich or famous area. :) People move here for the schools..which though I am biased since my wife works in them here,are excellent. I grew up on the other side of town...which Has a main road complete with a mcdonalds and duncan donuts..multiple pizza places,liquor stores, And not much else! The end of town I am on now is more rural,still has many farms.. I like it much better...I do not like urban settings, like to have a campfire in my backyard, like my chickens, I can shoot my arrows to my hearts content in the front yard here. Someday I would really love relocating to another state where I can have A farm...Its something I have always wanted.
al

rickztahone
03-25-2015, 08:30 PM
No idea..how much? Out here in Ct prices vary much depending on the area. Some counties are hugely rich .... the land and home values there are "life style of the rich and famous " I live in a small town..in a not so rich or famous area. :) People move here for the schools..which though I am biased since my wife works in them here,are excellent. I grew up on the other side of town...which Has a main road complete with a mcdonalds and duncan donuts..multiple pizza places,liquor stores, And not much else! The end of town I am on now is more rural,still has many farms.. I like it much better...I do not like urban settings, like to have a campfire in my backyard, like my chickens, I can shoot my arrows to my hearts content in the front yard here. Someday I would really love relocating to another state where I can have A farm...Its something I have always wanted.
al

Well last time we were looking at homes in my area, which are significantly less than 25 miles west in the heart of Los Angeles, they were ranging in the 600k range for half an acre. In areas like Los Angeles (not very nice neighborhoods) there aren't houses in this size range, but if you travel outwards a little you can find an acre for about 1.4 million or so to skies the limit, lol.

My dream has actually always been to leave this area and get a home with a huge back yard to have at least 4 dogs roaming free, lol. The traffic in LA is only getting worse and worse and I'd like a change from the madness.

Anyways, obviously getting OT, but I like that you have so many hobbies and enough space to keep them in :)

brewmaster15
03-26-2015, 07:30 AM
In my area, an acre costs you about 70,000 -120,000 no house.... other parts of CT vary considerably between ocean front, lake front. Several counties also border NY and make driving into NYCity possible, so the market there is wacked for prices, slanted more to the more well to do.

al

Ed13
03-27-2015, 11:45 AM
I love Simply, just when I think I'm the odd man out I always find something to relate! I'm still swimming a bit "against the current" though as I view them as pets rather than meat/eggs!
We use to have Silkie(Silky) hen you had to guard since she wanted to lay her eggs under a TV stand we had near the back door and she would attempt to "sneak" in, funniest thing ever! More than once we had to watch TV with her incubating right under it since we did not have the heart to forcefully remove her!

I checked Backyardchikens a bit yesterday, cool site! My old man wants to order some eggs to raise, any suggestions?

brewmaster15
03-27-2015, 07:02 PM
I love Simply, just when I think I'm the odd man out I always find something to relate! I'm still swimming a bit "against the current" though as I view them as pets rather than meat/eggs!
We use to have Silkie(Silky) hen you had to guard since she wanted to lay her eggs under a TV stand we had near the back door and she would attempt to "sneak" in, funniest thing ever! More than once we had to watch TV with her incubating right under it since we did not have the heart to forcefully remove her!

I checked Backyardchikens a bit yesterday, cool site! My old man wants to order some eggs to raise, any suggestions?

Hi Ed,
I have bought day old chicks from Ideal Poultry several years ago...we bought multiple strains and had really good luck with them...
http://www.idealpoultry.com/shoponline.html

The current hens I have came from mcMurray, I didn't buy them as days olds, someone else did and I bought them from them as 3 months olds.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

I'm very impressed with the size on the Buff Rocks and Barred Rocks.. Very healthy hens indeed. I would buy from them direct from what I have here.

hth,
al

Ed13
03-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks Al. We'll have to check our post office policies if they'll deliver live chicks and whether those sites can ship to our location. We've only heard of locals getting eggs online and hatching them, but never heard of anyone getting chicks online.

I'm pretty sure he wants them for eggs, I want them for show!:p

Dale J
04-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Some good ol southern fried crispy fried chicken would be delicious! ;) Eggs in the morning, chicken for dinner.....I have no issue with it!

I'm keeping two chickens in the freezer, next to a turkey

John_Nicholson
04-21-2015, 03:54 PM
I had a hen hatch out 12 new babies last week. I have another hen sitting on eggs now for about 2 weeks. Before the I got a new idiot neighbor ( relative term, I live in the country ) that did not think he needed to keep his dogs at home I had 28 birds. I got down to 2 roosters and 3 hens before he finally realized that I was serious about protecting the rest of the bird. Not going into details but lets just say I doubt we ever becomes friends now...Texas law allows me to protect my livestock from threads if you know what I mean.....Anyway it looks like my number of birds will be making a significant recovery this spring.

-john

dagray
04-21-2015, 04:18 PM
I wish I could have chickens, but am in a small town (3300 people) with a city ordinance that forbids farm animals to be kept in town. Maybe I could get a pair of emus???? Emu eggs for breakfast anyone?

brewmaster15
04-22-2015, 08:18 AM
I wish I could have chickens, but am in a small town (3300 people) with a city ordinance that forbids farm animals to be kept in town. Maybe I could get a pair of emus???? Emu eggs for breakfast anyone?

Does the town specifically rule out Chickens? most around here allow chickens in limited numbers, but no roosters.

al

brewmaster15
04-22-2015, 08:19 AM
I had a hen hatch out 12 new babies last week. I have another hen sitting on eggs now for about 2 weeks. Before the I got a new idiot neighbor ( relative term, I live in the country ) that did not think he needed to keep his dogs at home I had 28 birds. I got down to 2 roosters and 3 hens before he finally realized that I was serious about protecting the rest of the bird. Not going into details but lets just say I doubt we ever becomes friends now...Texas law allows me to protect my livestock from threads if you know what I mean.....Anyway it looks like my number of birds will be making a significant recovery this spring.

-john

I would not mind a rooster, but my neighbors would! Even so I have at least one broody hen that doesn't understand no matter how long she sits on that egg, its not going to hatch!:)

al

John_Nicholson
04-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Well I am down to just one rooster.....but this time it was not a dog. Once the number of hens got pretty low the rooster have been fighting. The most dominant one won......

-john

dagray
04-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Does the town specifically rule out Chickens? most around here allow chickens in limited numbers, but no roosters.

al

Yes specifically rules out chickens, sheep, turkeys, pigs.

My wife one night was at the kitchen sink and looked out and said "those are strange looking dogs"... and so we went out and lured two pigs into our front yard out of the street and closed the gate behind them. Then we called animal control as we had no idea who the pigs belonged to. We got one pig in the back of the animal control vehicle with much squealing and the neighbor down the block came running down... she was fined $100.00 per animal (the fine is $100.00 per animal per day).

Solid
04-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Yes specifically rules out chickens, sheep, turkeys, pigs.

My wife one night was at the kitchen sink and looked out and said "those are strange looking dogs"... and so we went out and lured two pigs into our front yard out of the street and closed the gate behind them. Then we called animal control as we had no idea who the pigs belonged to. We got one pig in the back of the animal control vehicle with much squealing and the neighbor down the block came running down... she was fined $100.00 per animal (the fine is $100.00 per animal per day).

Haha! Strange looking dogs indeed. I know here in Miami-Dade County, farm animals are also banned, but you can keep some (Chickens, goats, pigs etc.) if you claim them as "pets". Supposedly if you allow them into the house at all (not to sleep, or live, just once in a while... like for example when the animal control officer comes by :D ), then you can claim them as pets.

We are planning to get 4-5 chickens in a small coop pretty soon.

Tankster
04-28-2015, 11:04 PM
We picked up our chicks a week and a half ago. We have 6 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Leghorns (all pullets). The wife, kids and I will be working on the coop this weekend. Finally getting around to posting pics.
(Sorry for the sideways pictures. Posting from my iPhone and can't figure out how to rotate)

Solid
04-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Cute chicks!

Tankster
06-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Here is a long overdue update on my chicken coop build project project!

Here is the chicken run area
My coops base
Making sure it is level (OCD)
flooring (linoleum scrap from Home Depot for next to nothing)
Walls were pre-built in my garage (kept everything dry until I was ready to put the roof on)
wanted to protect the OSB

Ran out of light!

Big door to the floor makes cleaning out the coop easy.

Tankster
06-01-2015, 04:43 PM
not sure why I could not get this on on the last post :) The roof is almost finished

Second Hand Pat
06-01-2015, 04:52 PM
That is awesome Greg, they will have their own little house. :D
Pat

Tankster
06-01-2015, 04:58 PM
That is awesome Greg, they will have their own little house. :D
Pat

My wife wanted it to match the house :) At first my man cave mentality was very much opposed... "They are just chickens, four walls and a piece of plywood for a roof and they will be fine."
Now when you stand out back, beyond the coop, and see the house in the background, they kind of match :) My wife is always right (don't EVER tell her I said that!!) :angel:

Second Hand Pat
06-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Your secret is safe with me Greg :D
Pat

brewmaster15
06-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Well I aint showing my chickens any of these Pics Greg... They will want to either move down to your place or go on strike here until I upgrade their Chicken cave!:) coop looks great.

A suggestion on it, I like the windows, thats a great touch, good for ventilation too but I would go over the inside of the them with 1/2 inch hardware cloth, a raccoon will rip thru them otherwise. Also, it may be good to have some ventilation in the sides.

hth,
al

Tankster
06-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks Al! Tell your chickens they are welcome to come. Only one catch - the rent will be a steady supply of FDBW cubes :) Pretty sure you control the cube supply so they are out of luck!

I was planning on venting but my eves are open where the roof overhangs the walls. I might still put some vents in but at this point, even on our hottest day, the coop has stayed cool. We have it placed in the shade of numerous large oak trees. I will continue to monitor and install some vents if it becomes necessary.

I still have to cut in the little chicken door and build the egg box. I don't think they will be laying for a few months so I am going to take a break once I get the chicken door in. This thing has kicked my butt!

When we are completely finished, I will post some updated photos of the the chicken run and the special touches my wife is adding to the coop... This thing is going to be over the top.

Well I aint showing my chickens any of these Pics Greg... They will want to either move down to your place or go on strike here until I upgrade their Chicken cave!:) coop looks great.

A suggestion on it, I like the windows, thats a great touch, good for ventilation too but I would go over the inside of the them with 1/2 inch hardware cloth, a raccoon will rip thru them otherwise. Also, it may be good to have some ventilation in the sides.

hth,
al

Larry L
06-08-2015, 03:20 PM
When I had my bird ranch we had a chicken coop with 12 Rhode island red hens and one roster one day I was collecting the eggs and my coop was like a lean-to the roster nail me from behind with his spurs that was the last time he did that cause I jump up and almost knock myself out on the roof we had a nice dinner the next day. We also always had a pig in a pen those where the days.I miss those large brown eggs.

brewmaster15
06-23-2015, 11:23 AM
So I may have Chicks in a few weeks. One of my Buff Hens has been broody for the last few months. She badly wants to hatch an egg and hoards the other hens eggs. Of course we have no rooster, so the chances of hatching anything are zero..but telling that to a broody hen is impossible. We tried all the classic remedies, including physically moving her from the nest box to the yard.. nothing works.

Last week I decided to find a chicken Breeder near me that sold fertilized eggs. The thought being I could have her hatch some eggs and she would get over the broody mood... Found a guy nearby and went and bought a dozen eggs for $25 . Set Broody up in our spare coop and shes been happily tending those eggs now the last week. All goes well we will have chicks in about 2 weeks. The down side is they will be mixed breeds and its what you call "straight run" ,means you can get hens or roosters from them...so Its a cr@p shoot. But if it works, Broody will be hopefully take a break from being broody, but I will also gain a natural incubator should I ever want to hatch out eggs.

al

Northwoods Discus
06-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Hopefully you will have wigglers in 2 weeks. Good luck getting them to stick to the cone.

Second Hand Pat
06-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Hopefully you will have wigglers in 2 weeks. Good luck getting them to stick to the cone.

My thought to Bill. :)

So Al, perhaps you can take the roosters back to the egg guy? It will be a while before you will be able to tell. I will tell that that there is nothing "sicker" sounding then a rooster learning to crow.
Pat

Discus-n00b
06-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Can you just eat them Al? LOL

brewmaster15
06-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Roosters will be re-homed swiftly in some form:)...I doubt I would keep them long enough for eating though. ! I do have to say its tempting. I am surrounded here by extremely vocal dogs whose owners feel everyone loves the sound of Dogs barking at all hours day and night , payback would be a Rooster or two at a property line.:angel:

Second Hand Pat
06-23-2015, 12:57 PM
I have a neighbor like that. A little known secret...I do rooster wrangling as a sideline. :angel:

brewmaster15
07-08-2015, 01:49 PM
Pretty cool ...4 chicks hatched today...a 5th is just starting to.

brewmaster15
07-08-2015, 01:59 PM

brewmaster15
07-08-2015, 02:17 PM

Discus-n00b
07-08-2015, 02:47 PM
They sure are cute Al

brewmaster15
07-12-2015, 11:55 AM
We ended up with 5 healthy chicks out of the 12 eggs, 6 eggs were duds, and one chick hatched but didnt survive. Broody Hen think she's cat's meow right now. She struts around the coop with her 5 little ones in tow. Quite interesting to watch. She's been doing a fine job with them.

al

brewmaster15
07-12-2015, 12:05 PM

brewmaster15
07-12-2015, 12:07 PM

Not too thrilled with the phone pics here... Momma hen doesn't like us messing with the chicks much , but I think I will try and break out the real gear for a few a pics while they are looking soft...they get into an ugly stage real fast!

al

Second Hand Pat
07-12-2015, 01:10 PM
They are super cute Al. Hope they are all hens.
Pat

crazycracker
07-14-2015, 03:15 PM
That's really cool. I am a city boy but just recently moved away from the city. Now have almost 2 acres (I know its not the biggest but a lot different for me). I have all kinds of wildlife around me. My property even has a small barn. Looks like they kept chickens at one time. Small coop is attached to the shed in the yard. It looks like it only had room for 3 birds. Not really sure. Reading this - I want to convert the shed into a coop and try some chickens myself.

brewmaster15
07-20-2015, 01:00 PM
That's really cool. I am a city boy but just recently moved away from the city. Now have almost 2 acres (I know its not the biggest but a lot different for me). I have all kinds of wildlife around me. My property even has a small barn. Looks like they kept chickens at one time. Small coop is attached to the shed in the yard. It looks like it only had room for 3 birds. Not really sure. Reading this - I want to convert the shed into a coop and try some chickens myself.

Go for it!!!!:)

was a little hot yesterday and today in the coop so I rigged up a cooling system from some junk...old battery, reclaimed inverter and a fan from a microwave oven I stripped down....

al

brewmaster15
07-20-2015, 01:06 PM
They are growing fast though!

brewmaster15
07-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Of Course we had to make some changes to the coop. The one the chicks are in is our over flow coop..It was one we built out of scrap lumber for when we got chicks or needed to separate a bird...it was basically a box... Added a run and fenced it in. . So now we have 2 fully functional coops with runs...

al

Keith Perkins
07-20-2015, 06:44 PM
...and a fan from a microwave oven I stripped down....

al

I hope the chickens never read this. Might be the end of seeing eggs.

brewmaster15
07-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Lol.... either that or motivation...
:)

brewmaster15
08-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Well the cute chicks are well into the ugly stage...looking more like mini turkeys now... but doing very well. I am pretty sure we have at least rooster in the group.They sure do grow fast! very interesting to watch the foster mom interact with them and teach them.

al

brewmaster15
08-11-2015, 05:27 PM
chicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8xU0QgyVn0

Second Hand Pat
08-11-2015, 07:55 PM
They are cute Al buy honestly look nothing like the half grown turkeys running around my place. Is one of the chicks trying to learn how to crow? A neighbor has a group of chickens has one rooster and it is trying to learn to crow...sounds really funny.
Pat

Discus-n00b
08-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Definitely out of the furry cute stage. I think I'm partial to the black one just viewing the photos and watching the video. It seems to always be around the food and following mom closely to get the food LOL

brewmaster15
08-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Pat,
The larger of the two white ones has a larger comb and is growing a set of spurs already on its legs.. It likes to puff out its chest and flap its wings at the others...kind of comical to watch.

Matt,
The grey and black ones are favorites here. All of these are crosses aka mutts, except the grey one...thats a lavender orpington. I am really hoping the orpington is a hen. The black one you like is part french copper maran probably crossed to Orpington. hard to tell. We got the eggs from a seller here that has a few roosters, so you really don't know what you get.

al

thaifh.com
08-06-2016, 06:09 AM
This is cool!:bounce2:

Ryan925
08-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Very cool. When I was a child my grandmother kept chickens. There was nothing better than going out in the morning and picking fresh warm brown eggs for breakfast.

I also raised a chick from an egg that the mother hand abandoned. At we point we had grown so close I would bring her in the house with me and she would sit on the couch and watch tv with me.

warblad79
08-08-2016, 07:22 PM
I used to raised, breed, and trained fighting cock/game fowl when I was in Asia.

brewmaster15
12-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Girls are not happy today... for half the flock this their first winter... The browns, Buckeyes, are well suited for the winter with their short combs, but still.. 6 F is a bit chilly when you have never felt it before!

al

Leland F.
12-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Keep those old hens for making stock, they're like jerky when they get older. My friends have some of the rolling enclosures that they move each day so the chickens get new grass & bugs each day, and they don't have a messy coup to clean. They don't feed any grain, and the yolks are super dark yellow. Great eggs!

-Leland

brewmaster15
12-16-2016, 11:51 AM
I let my girls out in a fenced in area of the yard that has grass, and they have the pen they are in in the pics that they have pretty much turned into a pavement! I also have a garden that I grow greens for them..They go nuts for the collard greens, and Kale. This time of year its tougher... table scraps help.

Nothing better than a Fresh egg for breakfast!
al

nc0gnet0
12-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Give them some fresh catnip.

brewmaster15
12-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Give them some fresh catnip.

How come? I actually have tons of that here for the 3 feline drug addicts.:)

al

mmorris
12-17-2016, 09:50 AM
The different colors make for a very pretty mix! How 'bout loading up the chicken manure and dumping it on my garden? :) I still have the Egyptian onions you gave me. They're the first thing up in the spring and the last thing to die down in the fall. I'd love to have chickens but my dogs would take the squeaker out of them. :( I get my eggs across the street though but it's not quite the same...

brewmaster15
12-17-2016, 11:52 AM
The different colors make for a very pretty mix! How 'bout loading up the chicken manure and dumping it on my garden? :) I still have the Egyptian onions you gave me. They're the first thing up in the spring and the last thing to die down in the fall. I'd love to have chickens but my dogs would take the squeaker out of them. :( I get my eggs across the street though but it's not quite the same...

Lol. Yes that manure is grear stuff! Glad you still have the Egyption Onions Martha. They are one of our favorites here. Just a great all around perfect onion for when you need a bit of flavor!
Al

nc0gnet0
12-18-2016, 12:18 AM
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/5-herbs-your-chickens-will-love-4/

http://www.urbanchickenpodcast.com/ucp-episode-051/

LizStreithorst
12-18-2016, 09:05 PM
I have been wanting chickens for years. I started planning proper fencing last night after talking on another fish forum about chickens. Weird, huh? I figured out how I can fence to keep my 3 untrustworthy dogs out and the chickens in. I'll be getting these. I had them when I lived in Mobile. They're large gentle chickens and IMO they're very beautiful. https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/light_brahmas.html

brewmaster15
12-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Those are cool birds Liz! Looking forward to seeing pics when you get them!

Al

jimg
12-21-2016, 06:33 PM
I bought many chickens, ducks and guinea fowl quite a few times from murray mcmurray hatchery and was never disappointed in anything. great place

Jenene
01-06-2017, 08:09 PM
Girls are not happy today... for half the flock this their first winter... The browns, Buckeyes, are well suited for the winter with their short combs, but still.. 6 F is a bit chilly when you have never felt it before!

al

I am so jealous! I have always wanted chickens but with a Labrador, 2 rag doll cats, a pond, 2 kids in college and 2 aquariums, my husband is done. Someday I will talk him into it. Until then I live vicariously though you and buy my eggs from my nearby farms...

gunnerschh2
01-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Hey Al where are the silky bantams. Harry

brewmaster15
01-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Hey Al where are the silky bantams. Harry

Too floofy for my flock:). My hens tend to be the large bruiser or scrappy kind...and hardy.

Al

LizStreithorst
04-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Hey guys, I have incoming baby chicks Thursday! I can't wait!!!!

Coffee1stLife2nd
04-05-2017, 02:58 AM
just hatched 90 chicks today and 12 turkeys,,, LOL Love it,,, congrads on your incoming chicks....

LizStreithorst
04-05-2017, 05:55 PM
My babies arrived a day early. The dog thinks they belong to him. He hasn't left the spot in front of the cage since they arrived this morning and he growls the other dogs a way when they get too close.

Keith Perkins
04-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Now that picture made me smile Liz. Is he a lab mix of some sort?

LizStreithorst
04-05-2017, 08:51 PM
As unlikely as it is, he appears to be a Shar-Pei/Basset mix. He and his sister showed up 9 years ago under my old house that trees fell on during Katrina. His name is Big Head. He's not real bright but he's a sweetie. He's the same dog as is in my avatar at obedience school graduation.

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Cute, cute, cute Liz :D Glad they arrived well and appears Big Head has a new job :D
Pat

Coffee1stLife2nd
04-05-2017, 10:33 PM
aww cute little fluffy butts,,,BigHead seems to be doing a good job keeping watch...

brewmaster15
04-07-2017, 05:22 PM
My babies arrived a day early. The dog thinks they belong to him. He hasn't left the spot in front of the cage since they arrived this morning and he growls the other dogs a way when they get too close.

Love That shot!!!!!:) good thing he wasnt a bird dog!!!!!!!!!!:)

al

LizStreithorst
04-07-2017, 06:07 PM
The first thing I saw when I got out of bed yesterday morning was his butt sticking out in the hall way while his big head was watching his babies. Made me smile.

LizStreithorst
04-12-2017, 05:50 PM
As if by magic this building showed up in just the right place while I was at work. It was owned and neglected by my neighbor's worthless grandson and family. I spied it and thought, "Chicken House". The grandparents were going to push it in a pile with other junk and burn it. Granted, it needs a wee bit of TLC but what it needs is stuff I can do.

I will take advantage of having no appointments at work tomorrow. I will tear off the shingles first so I can determine the condition of the plywood. Then I'll pry off the wafer board. There are two floor joists that need to be replaced. I hope there aren't more. I know I have to replace a few of the 2X6's that hold up the roof.

I don't know what I want the finished product to look like. It has to look utilitarian because that's it's first job. It also must look attractive but not "cute". When my neighbors who gave it to me and moved it for me wander down to say, "hi" I want them to feel good about having done me such a big favor. I heard that getting it moved and set in place was not a piece of cake for those involved.

Keith Perkins
04-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Watch where you step Liz.

Nice find. Let's see, TLC, Timber, Lumber and Construction.

Second Hand Pat
04-12-2017, 09:54 PM
You have your work cut out Liz but the end result should be well worth the effort.
Pat

Skip
04-13-2017, 08:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX4Jh-44-Nk

Clawhammer
04-13-2017, 09:03 AM
I am expecting for Peter Griffin to show up at any moment and start fighting that gigantic chicken!

LizStreithorst
04-13-2017, 03:04 PM
All I got done was remove the shingles and some rotten ply wood. There were two layers of shingles and ants had set up house keeping between the shingles and the ply.

RogueDiscus
04-13-2017, 03:19 PM
You're a brave soul, Liz. I need a shed, but at this point in my life, I'm more likely to call the shed guys. I'm really hoping I get to build (pay for?) a garden shed/shop building in the next year. All we really have right now is our carport and an old steel shed. Moisture is a problem for us here, too. Good luck with your project.

LizStreithorst
04-13-2017, 04:09 PM
I just culled my "Rare Breed Chick". They send one with every order. I hated to do it. I'm as tender hearted as anyone, but even though I don't plan on being a chicken breeder, I don't want some rare breed rooster having his way with my purebred hens. It had to be a rooster. It was free. Even if not, it's easier to do it now than later.

I would love to sit on my arse and call the shed guys. But I've priced portable buildings and I can't justify the expense. Doing it myself will be harder on me that I thought. I keep forgetting that I'm old, but old or not I know that I can do it. Shoot...all it is is an 8X12 shed.

brewmaster15
04-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Liz, I don't know how craigslist is down by you but up here I was able to get a lot of my material free . Throw up a craigslist ad asking for roofing shingles, plywood etc or building a coop. I built my last 2 coops here (I have 3) and built one at my parents mostly with freebies from craigslist....

Looking for a a few bundles of asphalt roofing shingles for free. Doesn't matter what color,or if they are from a starter or even roll asphalt. I need them to cover a chicken coop and shed.

Please let me know if you have some laying around that you don't want or need and I will come and get them.

Thank you this one has served me well multiple times.:) be surprised how many people have bundles laying around for years just looking to get rid of them. I have enough here now to do 15 coops! Lol. Wish I could send you them!

DJW
04-20-2017, 11:56 PM
Some of the chickens hanging out by the barn.

We got a xylophone for the chickens but they aren't interested in playing it. The turkeys like it though.

brewmaster15
04-21-2017, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=DJW;1259896]Some of the chickens hanging out by the barn.

Nice looking flock you got there Dan. Do I spy a Blue Orpington (gray hen)?

We have one...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2921/34050319441_9ac4bb0681_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TSUMF8)IMGP0303_01 (https://flic.kr/p/TSUMF8)

We call her Grey Girl...Original I know, but she is the only we named. Shes our favorite.

al

LizStreithorst
04-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Liz, I don't know how craigslist is down by you but up here I was able to get a lot of my material free . Throw up a craigslist ad asking for roofing shingles, plywood etc or building a coop. I built my last 2 coops here (I have 3) and built one at my parents mostly with freebies from craigslist....

this one has served me well multiple times.:) be surprised how many people have bundles laying around for years just looking to get rid of them. I have enough here now to do 15 coops! Lol. Wish I could send you them!

Thanks Al, but all I have had to buy so far are nails, screws, and one 2X6. I've scrounged everything else from my house that was made unlivable after Katrina and my old dairy goat barn.

brewmaster15
04-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Thanks Al, but all I have had to buy so far are nails, screws, and one 2X6. I've scrounged everything else from my house that was made unlivable after Katrina and my old dairy goat barn.

Glad to hear that you were able to find use for that then , at least.

al

LizStreithorst
04-21-2017, 06:15 PM
My biggest problem is that I'm not a real carpenter and every time I run across something unexpected I have to spend so much time thinking how to make it right.

DJW
04-22-2017, 12:12 PM
There are a couple of Blue Orpingtons in the mix. I think they're the biggest of the hens.

Waiting to be let out for the day...

LizStreithorst
04-23-2017, 08:00 PM
I could use some construction advice, please. I replaced the bad joists. It was stressful because I'd never done that before and I had to figure how.

I've got the bad plywood off the roof. I knew that I could work up top without killing myself but I haven't done it for like 12 years.

Now I have to deal with these rotted rafters. A couple are rotted about 3" inside the top plate. I'll be damned it I'll rip out and replace every rafter. I'm not going to live in it, it's a chicken house! I should be able to make do by screwing a 3' piece of good 2X6 into the good wood in the compromised rafter, right?

two utes
04-24-2017, 03:58 AM
I should be able to make do by screwing a 3' piece of good 2X6 into the good wood in the compromised rafter, right?

Keep in mind that this will be bearing all the weight of the roof, and yours when you are back up there finishing off the job. Consider using 2 pieces, longer than 3' if possible, of 2 X 6, one on each side, and sandwich the compromised rafter with very long screws.

RogueDiscus
04-24-2017, 11:30 AM
You've inspired me Liz. I'm thinking about building my own garden shed this summer.

LizStreithorst
04-24-2017, 04:59 PM
If an old lady of 66 can do it, anyone can do it.

brewmaster15
04-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Liz...if this is for chickens keep it simple. You dont need that peak at all. ..id just rip it off and put a flat roof with a slight pitch... should be fine and it will save you on time and labor. All three of my coops are like that.

LizStreithorst
04-24-2017, 06:37 PM
I hadn't thought of that. It would be easier. But I can't. My best neighbor built this little building for his mother as a storage building. He put a lot of work into it. What storage shed needs 3 windows and electricity? The mother didn't appreciate it. Then the worthless grandson inherited it and he let it rot. Now I have the building, delivered free of charge. I will put it to work as a home for chickens which is a huge drop in status for a building...But I saved it from being pushed into a pile and burned. I am giving it a new life. I don't want Jack and Judy coming to visit and thinking that it's ugly. Face it... a flat roof is not an attractive thing. Functional, yes. Pleasing to the eye, no.

Here's a few snaps of my little chickies. They are not quite at the ugly stage but close.

brewmaster15
04-24-2017, 08:25 PM
I see where you are coming from Liz... then I would do as Joe suggested if you arent going to replace them entirely...sandwich the old ones. It will add stability.

As for the chicks...they look great! Very healthy looking little buggers.

Al

LizStreithorst
04-24-2017, 08:34 PM
They've been vigorous since day one.

LizStreithorst
04-26-2017, 07:38 PM
This is the best pic I have ever seen of chicks in the ugly stage. It made me laugh so I thought I'd share it. I hope it doesn't tell you that you have to join to see it. I hate it when they do that...https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/photogallerycategory.html?cid=78&aid=ws20170426&linkid=3502&utm_source=ws20170426&utm_campaign=ws20170426&utm_medium=email

LizStreithorst
04-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Sorry, the link didn't show the photo that I was talking about. It was on page 2 of the thumbnails if you want to waste your time looking for it. When I saw it I though that chicken people would love it and photography people would give it a thumb up.
'

LizStreithorst
05-25-2017, 08:39 PM
It's been a while since I've posted pics of my chicks. They're starting to look like chickens! They've been out ranging free all day. I just put them to bed and snapped a couple of pics. The hansdsome guy is my rooster.

brewmaster15
05-26-2017, 05:46 AM
Liz the look like they are growing into some fine chickens!

LizStreithorst
07-05-2017, 08:48 PM
My neighbors who gave me the building came down yesterday to see the chickens. It had been so rainy here that I didn't dare start painting the building until Sunday. I'm doing it with a brush rather than the roller because a roller won't get into all the hills and valleys on the wafer board. The paint store guy said I'd need only one gallon of primer. He didn't take into consideration the fact that the top 2/3rds of the building is wafer board. That stuff sucks up paint like you wouldn't believe! I only got half of it primed before I ran out of paint. I honestly feel that I should put on 2 coats of primer. It won't be bad. I will be able to use a roller on the second coat. The top latex coat will be a piece of cake.

Jack and Judy said that the chicks are huge! (They're not huge but they are for sure well grown). Jack said, "They sure are pretty". He's right. I must take pics.

I'm glad that that these folks who have been so good to me over many years saw that I had not forgotten about the building once I got it sound and functional. I'm all about getting this building painted but we're supposed to have on and off rain starting Friday and lasting for the foreseeable future.

brewmaster15
07-06-2017, 07:41 AM
Thats really cool Liz. Glad its all working out. Cant wait to see the finished product!
al

Keith Perkins
07-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Um Liz, you more than anyone should know without pictures it isn't real.

LizStreithorst
07-07-2017, 08:19 PM
You have no idea of how hard it is to sneak up on a flock of free range chickens. You shamed me into it. I hope you're happy now

Most but not all of the Light Brahmas.
Next the two Buffs. They're only available straight run but it looks like mine are both hens. Look at how one of them has all these long wing feathers and the larger one has none even starting to show. Strange.
Then the tree became the place for a friendly get-together.

I tried to get a pic of my rooster but he was moving too fast and he came out blurry.

Keith Perkins
07-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Yup, much happier now. No idea how many pictures you had to take, but you managed to get a couple nice ones. Those buffs are cool colored.

LizStreithorst
07-07-2017, 09:42 PM
I adore the buffs. You should see them when they're adults. They're absolutely stunning. I'd have taken a chance on a flock of them but their only available straight run and I'm not up to ringing rooster necks. I have read that they are not as good layers as the Lights. They say that they lay some but they're better as meat birds. Their rate of maturity is sure different from the Light's. They were small and ugly for ever while the lights grew an an even pace. Then one day they started to blossom. They look good now! It was strange to see growth rates so different. It's more like their different breeds than different strains of the same breed.

LizStreithorst
07-08-2017, 08:27 PM
finally got a pic of Mr. Pecker. I'm still trying to get a good one of my favorite hen, Miss Pertty.

LizStreithorst
11-23-2017, 11:58 PM
I have a hen who insists on laying her daily egg on the sofa. If she is ready to lay while I'm at work she will be pacing in front of the door making sounds that tell me that I must let her in now She doesn't waste time. She comes in, lays her egg, I tell her that she's a good hen and then let her back out.

Second Hand Pat
11-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Cute Liz!! What we do for our critters :D
Pat

LizStreithorst
01-15-2018, 03:28 PM
I just put in an order for new chicks. I'm trying a new hatchery this time. Last year I ordered from Murray McMurray and although all the chicks were healthy and vigorous and grew to be excellent layers. My problem was that they did not conform to the breed standard. My Light Brahmas were speckled all over with black feathers. I was poking around the web and came across another guy who had the same problem with his McMurray Light Brahmas.

I'm going with Cackle hatchery this time around. The reviews are good. Buying a good Discus is easier than buying good chickens. With Discus you can ask for a pic of the exact fish you want. With day old chicks all you can do it hope for the best. I'll be keeping 3 of my McMurray hens. They will never win a beauty contest but they insist on laying their daily egg in the house. It boggles my mind that they never poop on the floor. They just come in, go to their individual secluded places, lay their egg and go back out through the pet door. I cant bring myself to part with them.

brewmaster15
06-21-2020, 03:51 PM
So my chicken journey continues.. Several months ago, just before covid I rehomed Elvis and his flock. I didnt have time to take care of them with the demand of caring for parents and I found Elvis a forever farm ... Elvis was getting a bit aggressive to Carrie and the kids and I was theonly one he really respected.

I went a few weeks without hens and covid hit.We had no eggs and Being stuck home I found myself in survival mode. The veggie gardens I wasnt going to do this year went in again.. and I decided it would be good to get some hens. I had a heck of a time.. everyone had the same idea. FINALLY scored a group of 8 plain jane Rhode Island Reds due to start laying eggs . In short order eggs were here again and the Hens have done wonderfully.I started with Rhode Island Reds many many years ago.. tried many breeds and now have them again. Really great birds temperment wise and egg laying machines.. getting 7 eggs a day from 8 birds. WHY not 8 eggs?

Well one is broody.. real broody.Not expected for their age but it happens.She hoards the eggs and wants to raise chicks real bad.

So today I cleaned out coop 2 and moved her to it ..I found a back yard breeder selling fertilized eggs and picked up 17. The Roo is a Buff Orpington..the hens are white leghorns and golden laced Wyandotte. BROODY RI Hen is now sitting on 17 eggs in the maternity coop..

hopefully in a few weeks we have some chicks and then she can.go back to egg laying. We had to do this before with Broody Hens...

Post an update on a few weeks when chicks start hatching...I hope.

Al

LizStreithorst
06-21-2020, 04:36 PM
I'm right there with you on the chicken thing, Al. I'm fussy about the breeds I choose so I usually buy day old chicks from a hatchery. This year I fell in love with opposite types of chickens. I have Bielefelders pullets which were bred to free range, and a single Lavender Orpington pullet which was one of the two successes if all the eggs I was incubating. Something wasn't right, but it was my first try at incubation. The other success was a Bielfelder cockerel. He was knocked from the limb of the tree he roosts in with all the pullets. He wasn't expecting to be accidentally knocked off and landed flat on his belly. He died from internal injuries 3 days later. So this year I am without a cock a doodle dooer. Roosters are free for giving away, but I'm not going to find another Bielefelder rooster.

I always have predictors. Foxes and coyotes mostly. Since I let my chicken run free range some still get taken every year and I need to repopulate. I'll buy 2 roosters next year when I buy more day old chicks.

peewee1
06-21-2020, 04:43 PM
I keep but 1 chicken. My daughter Ellie Mae. Won't water ski, snow ski, skateboard, walk to school, nothing. The other day as she left the safety of her humble abode as she whisked away into the night I called out, "Have a good time, honey!" Is code for "where are you going and don't stay out too late." without seeming like a prying parent. "I'm going sky diving with a bunch of guys, Dad! I hope I see you soon." I hope that she was kidding with me.

LizStreithorst
06-21-2020, 05:07 PM
You have a very high maintenance domestic chicken or a Bielefelder. Biefelders have a semi wild type temperament. They will do as their instinct commands. They are often the most creative, at least in my previous experience. I've found several people like her to have the kindest hearts. Good luck with her.

14Discus
06-21-2020, 05:49 PM
I used to have two varieties of bantams......Golden Seabright and Black Breasted Old English Game. Loved having them, but got out of them in the 1990s. I did the showing thing and had several champions including one at the IL State Fair. I travelled to St. Louis to get my stock from the best breeder of these two.......a mighty sum I paid for 24 eggs of each. My best bird was a Golden Seabright that won five championships. A man offered me decent bucks for him after his fifth win, but I said no....it’s time to let him finish off his years enjoying life. Mine were mostly kept indoors in an outbldg with cedar shaving pens. Because I showed them, they had to be in perfect show shape, clean, and used to people handling them. I do miss the am crowings and the chicks that resembled chipmunks in patterning and the little gold fuzzy ones.
I had fun w them,but decided to spend the time w other things, mostly fish..

Lastly, call me weird, but I hated the chopping off of heads to dispatch. I did it if I had to, but came up with a decent alternative. I’d spray some ether onto a paper towel, put it in a baggy, and then put the baggy w ether soaked paper towel over the head and clothes pin it around the neck while holding the bird. The bird simply went to sleep and never woke up. This seemed less violent and stressful to me and the bird. Putting down a tame animal (champion or not) has to be done humanely if one is to keep animals. For Discus, I use the clove oil method when that time comes. With dogs, it’s another story. I do use the Vet, but am with the dog in my arms While getting the two shots talking to him, petting him, and put my hand at his nose. In his last moments, he hears me, sees me, feels my petting, and....most importantly.....smells me as I’m told that’s the last sense to be active when life stops for a dog.

Sorry to get sad/dispatch oriented here, but thought if there are others who dread the putting down of animals as I do, there are options.

peewee1
06-21-2020, 06:15 PM
If I ever get to the point where I have discus fry to deal with the culling of the fry will be the hard part for me. I am going to want to learn about clove oil.

brewmaster15
07-12-2020, 01:13 PM
Well time flies.. hatching day is here and my broody Hen is a mamma. Started with 17 eggs.. lost two.. ..out of 15 so far 3 chicks.The person I got them from collects 7 a day so technically More can hatch over the next 3 days..We will see but now that she has raised chicks she will soon be back to laying eggs.. which is good because it looks like I may have another broody hen.

These are buff orpington male x golden laced Wyandotte.
Barn yard straight run cross.

AL

LizStreithorst
07-12-2020, 01:49 PM
I have a broody Light Brahma right now. Unfortunately, my Bielefelder rooster and his Bielefelder were were too young to be fertile when she got that way so I will have no baby chicks. Since then, my cockerel fell from a tree (I saw it) got internal injuries and died 3 days later. The hen has been sitting on that nest for at least 6 weeks now. When she comes out to eat and drink she gets all her feathers all fluffy so she looks bigger than she really is. She clucks because she thinks that she has chicks following her. It's all somewhat sad.

I want Bielefelders because they're good free range chickens, and every animal I raise are allowed free range. Since there's no way I can just run out and buy a Bielefelder rooster I'll have to wait until next when I buy either eggs or day old chicks before I get a rooster. I sure do miss the cock a doodle doo.

brewmaster15
07-12-2020, 01:57 PM
Liz,

This near you?

https://gulfport.craigslist.org/grd/d/carriere-bielefelder-chicks/7152511078.html

Says they have 2 males..

Al

LizStreithorst
07-12-2020, 02:23 PM
It's close enough but I can't raise just one young baby chick unless my broody would take care of it. I'll call and talk to them tomorrow. You're great, Al. Thanks! I could pick up some great sea food while I'm there. There is nothing better than fresh fish from the gulf coast.

LizStreithorst
07-12-2020, 02:33 PM
I just sent them an email. I hope they still have them.

brewmaster15
07-12-2020, 04:16 PM
Fingers crossed for you Liz!

LizStreithorst
07-12-2020, 04:50 PM
All sold. There's always next year.

brewmaster15
07-12-2020, 06:59 PM
Thats a bummer... the ad had just been updated 6 hrs before I posted the link. . So close!
Al

LizStreithorst
07-12-2020, 07:02 PM
Discus have taught me patience. Next year....

peewee1
07-12-2020, 07:27 PM
All sold. There's always next year.

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/bielefelder.html

brewmaster15
07-12-2020, 07:32 PM
LIZ,
I read this line at mcmurrays hatchery..
These ....have large, round bodies that put Orpingtons to shame.. and I said to myself they must.be a discus hatchery? Lol

Seriously, Ive bought from them a long time ago.. also from.a place called Ideal poultry.

Al

LizStreithorst
07-12-2020, 07:48 PM
They have large bodies and large breasts. The Opringtons are overall more round in shape. I have a sole Lavender Orpington pullet. She is my only chicken with a name. Her name is April, for my chicken neighbor who has helped me. The Orpingtons are way too sweet natured for me to kill and eat. That's not the case with my Bielefelders. They are friendly but not as lovable.

brewmaster15
07-13-2020, 07:29 AM
No new chicks yet today but the three from yesterday are looking very good... mamma is still tending the eggs as she should and the 3 little chicks are beebopping around her and tunnel under when they want to warm up or sleep.

Al

LizStreithorst
07-13-2020, 07:54 AM
What could be more adorable than little baby peeps. Good luck with the remaining eggs, Al.

famtsberg
07-29-2020, 12:03 PM

Our little operation, Amish chicken house from a couple of boys that left the community and moved to Texas. Love to see them staring out the windows in the morning. funny.

peewee1
07-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Is that a chicken or a rabbit there in the tub with the munchkin?

famtsberg
07-29-2020, 12:20 PM
Is that a chicken or a rabbit there in the tub with the munchkin?

Ancona Ducks homey.

peewee1
07-29-2020, 10:34 PM
That's just ducky.

famtsberg
07-30-2020, 10:15 AM

A few of our chicks. My wife loves to hatch them. Been giving them to neighbors and friends.

Willie
07-31-2020, 04:44 PM
Last time I stopped into Chicago Discus, Miranda showed off some of her real fancy show strains. Maybe she'll post a picture?

Chicago Discus
08-04-2020, 10:55 AM
Last time you visited us, Willie, we were trying to raise a whole flock of fancy chickens. We had a half dozen or so Polish chickens with the fancy crests. But it turned out that they weren't very hardy, and we slowly lost every single one of our Polish. We have silkies, which I am very fond of, and a red bantam frizzle which is costing me a fortune with the vet bills. But, after all that, we got ourselves a white leghorn, the most non-fancy chicken you can get. But you know what, I love that little leghorn pullet. Every time I go out to the coop and sit down, she jumps right in my lap and makes the sweetest little cooing sounds. We got three more little leghorn chicks, and they are the same. I am raising them inside until they are old enough to go out. But every time I open their cage door, they are all over me!

This is my pride and joy, Buffy our little club-footed Silkie rooster. We hatched him in an incubator. We tried and failed to fix his club feet, but he doesn't know the difference. He's the big little man among the silkie hens.

Willie
08-05-2020, 12:50 PM
I remember Buffy! Good to see him still kicking two Summers later. Quite frankly, I've always thought club feet on a bird is hilarious. :o :o :o

Willie

LizStreithorst
08-05-2020, 01:23 PM
I'm into Bielefelders these days. They are bred to do well in a free range setting and are they ever. My guys won't roost in the nice chicken house I built for them. They roost in a tree. They even taught my single Lavender Oprington pullet to roost in a tree!!!

I'm very pleased with the Bielefelders, but they are still considered to be a rare breed in this country. Rare breeds, especially those that breed true, sometimes come with genetic problems. In this case it's tail conformation. Out of 16 5 month old Bielefelder pullets I have just 1 with a perfect tail. My worst tail is a pullet with a down tail. Of all the nice things I could be watching when I go out to give the girls their daily treat of scratch and meal worms all I can focus on are tails. Normal people would never even notice the faults or if they did notice, they wouldn't think it was a big deal. Something is screwy in my head.

famtsberg
08-31-2020, 10:22 AM
These are the Fuzzybutt brothers. Thought they were Mr & Mrs Fuzzybutt but alas the black one is trying to crow. White one has been for awhile. Very gentle free range grass hopper killers. :)

famtsberg
09-02-2020, 10:51 AM
Bob the Americana Rooster. My wife gives him a bath in the shower and blow drys him.. LOL

Grumpy the Americana Rooster doesn't like showers but gets them anyways. lol

Daisy And Petunia duck. Ancona ducks. really fun butt wigglers.

Second Hand Pat
09-02-2020, 11:49 AM
Do wild chickens count?

http://youtu.be/OzipTt9yUkU