PDA

View Full Version : peppering

chienchien
07-26-2014, 12:13 AM
does peppering ever go away?

PepoMorales
07-26-2014, 12:56 AM
does peppering ever go away?

Peppering is due to stress in or out of the aquarium it does go away if you find what the cause of it is. It could be due to other fish stressing, abrupt water chemistry changing or noise/movement in the area around tank.
Hope I helped ya man.

rdiscus
07-26-2014, 01:12 AM
Defends how bad the peppering ... litte peppering will go away, but heavy dirty peppering won't go anywhere

Bill63SG
07-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Stress is one factor,but not the only factor.It can also be genetics,and depending on the fish ,it dosent always go away,or go completely away.One common thing is dark background or substrate with pigeon bloods,and when changed to lighter,it fades or goes away.I had a fish that once it peppered,no matter what tank I placed it in,it wouldn't change.

sal3011
07-28-2014, 04:49 AM
Have seen it disappearing, though it wasn't much, so might have gone completely!

John_Nicholson
07-28-2014, 08:24 AM
LOL....Man some of the advice that is now given on this forum makes me shake my head...

Bill and Ryan are on the mark. Peppering is a genetic deal with PB's. The best way to minimize it is to have the discus in light colored environments. The best way to avoid peppering is to buy high quality PB's from a reputable source.

-john

ced_^
10-12-2014, 10:38 AM
LOL....Man some of the advice that is now given on this forum makes me shake my head...

Bill and Ryan are on the mark. Peppering is a genetic deal with PB's. The best way to minimize it is to have the discus in light colored environments. The best way to avoid peppering is to buy high quality PB's from a reputable source.

-john

Can peppering be considered as a defect then and the discus with peppering should be culled?

John_Nicholson
10-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Depends on how bad it is. I would not breed a fish that had a lot of peppering. If I had fry that carried a lot of it I would probably cull them but I don't think I would cull an adult just because of peppering.

-john

nc0gnet0
10-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Can peppering be considered as a defect then and the discus with peppering should be culled?

Depends on how you want to define "defect". It won't affect the health of the fish in anyway, it is considered a purely aesthetic defect.

Quintin
10-13-2014, 08:00 AM
And i believe some breeders are crossing pigeons with albino discus to reduce the peppering.is this true?

doublediscusjack
10-13-2014, 02:45 PM
" Depends on how you want to define "defect". It won't affect the health of the fish in anyway, it is considered a purely aesthetic defect. "
Exactly true, but it is highly frowned upon by top notch discus breeders and discus enthusiasts who deal in only "the best." Thus, constant efforts are made to breed out "peppering," a genetic trait of the pigeon blood.

flapjack24
10-15-2014, 04:00 PM
I personally stay away from PB discus just to avoid the peppering issue although I have seen some gorgeous peppered discus

Cabe
10-16-2014, 10:00 AM
All of the Dark Angels are peppered up, but they are gorgeous I think.

musicmarn1
10-17-2014, 12:13 PM
If you love them, thats all that matters! Though i have never had that strain so i am not sure how it works there, i suspect, the same thing applies

Allwin
10-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Probably I understand differently. Peppering can only happen with PB gene and peppering means black. Between, dark angels are not Pb's.

All of the Dark Angels are peppered up, but they are gorgeous I think.

nc0gnet0
10-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Probably I understand differently. Peppering can only happen with PB gene and peppering means black. Between, dark angels are not Pb's.

nope

Larry Bugg
10-17-2014, 01:45 PM

I believe you are incorrect. Dark Angels are pigeon based. If I remember correctly, when Rick had the Dark Angel/Blue Diamond cross for the contest he said they were homogenous for the pb gene.

DISCUS STU
10-17-2014, 02:22 PM
It's an aesthetic point and has to do with the taste of the viewer. It doesn't bother me much if at all but seems to bother other people tremendously.

I have a PB that I bred that's really healthy, eats well, vigorous, etc. that is peppering more and more as a mature fish. It's still a nice fish. Meanwhile there are strains that other people go nuts for that I wouldn't keep if you paid me. It's personal taste.

Allwin
10-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Gotcha, dark angel tends to pepper because of the pb gene in it. How about snow leopard, its pb too?

Larry Bugg
10-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Gotcha, dark angel tends to pepper because of the pb gene in it. How about snow leopard, its pb too?

Nope. Has golden in it.

Allwin
10-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Golden based or white based?

Nope. Has golden in it.