PDA

View Full Version : Treating with prazipro

Fish24
08-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Ok so I treated my small tank with this now I want to treat my big tank.

My question is on my big tank I have 2 aquaclear 110s and an emperor 400.
I know I need to remove the carbon.
Do I remove my sponges as well?
Do I leave my bio wheels on?
And I'm assuming I can leave my media ceramic pieces in?

ronald sherman
08-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Yes you can leave everything in filter's includeing sponges, def bio wheel, as well as ceramic pieces why you would be using carbon exsp in your doing normal water changes btw, I would be doing water changes while treating and replace and prazipro that you remove meaning if you have a 90 gallon tank and remove 40 gallon's of water after anding your safe you would be adding 2 tsp for 40 gallon's of water removed what are you using the prazipro too treat?

Fish24
08-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Just a preference I'm aware you don't have to but I do anyways. 125 gallon and flukes

ronald sherman
08-01-2014, 08:09 PM
if indead they have flukes make sure treatment is on going for at least 21 day's if nor even 28 as a few extra day's wouldn't hurt, cause prazipro does not kill the egg's them self btw I myself got a 16oz bt of prazipro off of Kenny, just in case as well as 150 gr of metro as he's way cheaper on both med

Fish24
08-01-2014, 11:09 PM
I've used metro before. It is also hard on fish. I am finishing a treatment of prazipro on my small is will be the 3rd treatment they haven't scratched for this whole second treatment. Will be doing the same. I have also been using more then the directions say.

pcsb23
08-02-2014, 05:00 AM
Yes you can leave everything in filter's includeing sponges, def bio wheel, as well as ceramic pieces why you would be using carbon exsp in your doing normal water changes btw, I would be doing water changes while treating and replace and prazipro that you remove meaning if you have a 90 gallon tank and remove 40 gallon's of water after anding your safe you would be adding 2 tsp for 40 gallon's of water removed what are you using the prazipro too treat?This is how I advise using it too, i.e. do normal water changes and replace what is removed. At discus temps any eggs should hatch in a few days so typically I go for 14 days. It is a relatively gentle medicine so longer will be ok too.

Fish24
08-02-2014, 07:32 PM
This is how I advise using it too, i.e. do normal water changes and replace what is removed. At discus temps any eggs should hatch in a few days so typically I go for 14 days. It is a relatively gentle medicine so longer will be ok too.

Then I'm gonna need more to treat my big tank lol :)

DISCUS STU
08-03-2014, 11:22 AM
The Prazipro is good stuff and all the advice above is excellent. I've contacted Hikari directly and while they recommend 10 days of treatment I think 14-21 days is also advisable.

I don't know how your sourcing the Prazipro but I normally buy the pond size, which is much more concentrated, and then dilute back with RO water as an extender to bring it back to the standard concentration. This saves $$$'s and has worked out well. I forget the exact concentration but I think it's about 40% RO to the pond mix to bring it down but please do the math for yourself. It will be necessary to shake thoroughly when applying to keep the solution even.

ronald sherman
08-03-2014, 01:54 PM
also kenfish has it much cheaper than anyone I bought the 16 oz bt off him

ronald sherman
08-03-2014, 01:58 PM
also just in the last few month 2 other company's has started making there own version of prazi-pro now with completion it may force them each lower there prices

DiscusLoverJeff
08-03-2014, 07:45 PM
You can just get Praziquantel Powder at Ken's, it is cheaper. Not sure if you can mix the powder ahead of time or as needed. But the powder form is better from what I have read in past threads.

ronald sherman
08-03-2014, 08:56 PM
yes I've noticed that he does sell it if I may ask how do you desolve it as I'm told it doesn't desolve will in water someone told me vodka ?

100fuegos
08-10-2014, 02:57 PM
DMSO is the way to go. I have used myself ethanol cosmetic grade at 96% with good results.