PDA

View Full Version : Seachem fertilizer safe for discus ?

forevaufo
08-03-2014, 06:51 PM
:wave: I am new to discus, I just recent purchased some 2.5" - 4" discus for my 55 gallon planted tank. I was wondering if the seachem fertilizers are safe for discus.
Can I dose my tank like any other planted tank ? are there any precaution I have to tank when I dose a planted discus tank ?

I does the following seachem fertilizer according to their instruction:

Flourish
Flourish Excel
Flourish Iron
Flourish Nitrogen
Flourish Potassium
Flourish Phosphorus
Flourish Trace

Thanks guys. :D

wild4discus
08-03-2014, 07:26 PM
I had no problems using the Seachem liquid ferts with my discus. But with all the water changes discus require, you will be going through a lot of that stuff. I used 1/2 dose once a week with the iron, potassium, phosphorus, flourish, and trace; 1/2 dose twice a week with the excel and my plants grew huge (as long as you are using good lighting). Never needed the nitrogen because the plants will use the nitrates from the breakdown of waste from the nitrogen cycle and also discus are sensitive to nitrates. Nitrates need to be at low levels for discus. Just an FYI and because you are new to discus, if your discus are juvies, you may want to consider not keeping a planted tank. Growing out juvies properly in a planted tank is very difficult. It can be done but you really need to be experienced with discus and planted tanks. Adult discus will do fine in planted tanks with good regular tank maintenance. HTH...

Beurre blanc
08-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Hello mister :) if you are doing the wc regime you should ferts will get expensive quickly. Since you will need to replace and add ferts so often i would look into PMDD to cut costs. I would also strongly recomend to read up on everything you find about discus in planted tanks if this is the first time you combine them. :) remember to not overdose with the excel.

Frankr409
08-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Completely safe. As I utilize a drip system for water replacement and a dosing pump for fert, the loss is minimized, it is still what it is. I realized early on that something like Flourite under the sand was what really gets the party started.

STHH
08-06-2014, 10:13 PM
I do use flourish trace, and this is what i noticed, after adding just 1 capful.
My leopard and turq darken slightly for 1 hour, seemingly in distress. Then they go back to normal.
If you have similar experience, do share.
Turqs and leopard are my canary in a mine. They have stress bar.

Frankr409
08-07-2014, 06:14 AM
I do use flourish trace, and this is what i noticed, after adding just 1 capful.
My leopard and turq darken slightly for 1 hour, seemingly in distress. Then they go back to normal.
If you have similar experience, do share.
Turqs and leopard are my canary in a mine. They have stress bar.. A capful in what size aquarium. I introduce 2 capfuls with a dosing pump into my 110 planted tank over the course of 2 weeks.