PDA

View Full Version : 240 w/ 75g sump - external or submersible water pump

Tankster
08-13-2014, 02:24 PM
I am coming in the home stretch on the 240g set-up and am now pondering my water pump choices.

My overflow is rated at about 3,000gph however I will dial that back a bit so my Discus don't feel like they are swimming the rapids in the snake river. I have a workroom behind the tank where all equipment will be accessed and stored so no worry about hiding equipment or buffering noisy mechanicals.

I have been thinking all along I would go with a submersible pump but have been thinking about an external recently (thanks Astolfo for posting a sweet deal on a Dolphin 6500).

I am thinking it might be more versatile in the fact I can also use it for water changes to pump out the tank and refill from the aging barrel which will be no small task with 300 gallons (including the sump volume).

Do pumps exist where you can control water flow via an adjustment on the pump rather than dialing back with a gate valve?

At any rate, those with experience on moving large amounts of water, what are the advantages/disadvantages to an external pump and a submersible pump?

Thanks!
Greg

decoy50
08-13-2014, 03:40 PM
I've been doing alot of research on sumps myself lately as I'm hoping to upgrade in the near future. I've seen alot of recommendations on Monster Fish Keepers about Laguna submersible pumps. Way more energy efficient than externals, might want to check them out.

dragon1974
08-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Don't know but I got this with my 220 gal setup and I'm going to use it with my 75 gal sump

Gen-X PCX40 External Water Pump
http://www.marinedepot.com/Gen_X_PCX40_External_Water_Pump_1000_to_2000_Gallo ns_Per_Hour_External_Aquarium_Pumps-Gen_X-PI1115-FIWPEPOT-PI1117-vi.html

One of my reef buddies saw it and said that it was a good one. I'll take his word for it LOL.

In my aging barrels I use a couple boyu pump that you can adjust the flow from the pump itself. http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=1816

I like the designs of the external pumps.

Siddhartha Saive
08-16-2014, 12:54 AM
I say go for a submersible pump. They are usually more energy efficient and quieter. The heat they produce will help heating up your water since they are submersed

NH Murph
10-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Don't DC pumps have a potentiometer so you can adjust the speed/flow without messing with valves? DC pumps would also be much more energy efficient.

MKD
10-03-2014, 11:38 AM
1+ for Waiveline or Jebao DC pumps.

Tankster
10-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks Murph!

Don't DC pumps have a potentiometer so you can adjust the speed/flow without messing with valves? DC pumps would also be much more energy efficient.

Are these top quality brands? I will do some research but wanted to hear your opinion.

1+ for Waiveline or Jebao DC pumps.

MKD
10-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Waveline is more better and expensive than Jebao. I can't speak for Waveline because don't own one. I just use Jebao from 06/2014 so too soon to tell but so far so good fit my need and noise is quieter than other Rio, QuietOne...

Tankster
10-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks Tony.

Waveline is more better and expensive than Jebao. I can't speak for Waveline because don't own one. I just use Jebao from 06/2014 so too soon to tell but so far so good fit my need and noise is quieter than other Rio, QuietOne...

musicmarn1
10-03-2014, 07:10 PM
home stretch sounds amazing Greg, mine got put on hold for a while, my husband refused to make a new stand for me allowing for more sump space ! LOL ill work on him again soon :D

Tankster
12-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Just ordered the Waveline DC 10,000 II :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input everyone!

MKD
12-12-2014, 05:02 PM
nice!!!! that 's lot of water to push.
let us know how it goes.

Tankster
12-12-2014, 07:51 PM
nice!!!! that 's lot of water to push.
let us know how it goes.

I was looking for about 6x turn over per hour and at 5ft head hight this pump pushes about 1,600 gph. I will have a total volume of 300 gallons x 6 = 1,800 gallons.
With the DC controller I should be able to dial it in perfectly... I hope. If I've miscalculated, and am overpowered, I can dial it back with the controller... I hope:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MKD
12-12-2014, 07:58 PM
I ready like the controller, can't be overpower and feeding features.

Len
12-12-2014, 09:16 PM
What are you going to use for the intake on the pump? I ask because I have a pump that does less turnover than that and it partially collapses the intake side of the hose.

Tankster
12-12-2014, 10:16 PM
What are you going to use for the intake on the pump? I ask because I have a pump that does less turnover than that and it partially collapses the intake side of the hose.

Hi Len,

It's a submersible, it will be in the sump with no intake hose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Len
12-14-2014, 07:11 PM
cool. I'll be interested to see the results you get from it.

paulW
01-12-2015, 05:01 PM
I say submersible pumps all the way.

1. Fewer bulkheads, since the submersible just gets plopped into the sump.
2. Easier to replace them. Every pump wears out eventually.. Although you can plumb correctly so that external pumps can be replaced without draining the sump.
3. Heat dissipated into the water, not the air.
4. I am pretty sure they are less expensive too.

I have two Magdrive 9.5 pumps that pump water from my sump. There's about 6' feet of head, so I guess I'm getting approximately 600 gph from each one (maybe a little less due to loss in elbows). That's more than enough circulation. Two pumps are nice, because when one fails (and it will fail when you are not there, the other pump keeps the water moving and aerated). IT's also great that they are cheap enough so you have spares. You come home, find one not working, pop in a spare and then when you have time, you can disassemble and clean the broken one and get it working again. (Then I usually take the spare back out to keep it fresh).

Len
01-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Greg, any update on the pump you ordered? I'm about to get a large DC pump (Jebao dc12000) for my new build and was curious how you were making out. It seems DC pumps are much more efficient. The one I'm getting is 12000 l/hr so pushes over twice as much water and uses less power than the mag drive 9.5 I use now. Did you have the same experience?

Tankster
01-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Greg, any update on the pump you ordered? I'm about to get a large DC pump (Jebao dc12000) for my new build and was curious how you were making out. It seems DC pumps are much more efficient. The one I'm getting is 12000 l/hr so pushes over twice as much water and uses less power than the mag drive 9.5 I use now. Did you have the same experience?

Hi Len - tank is dry so no first hand reviews to share. I did a ton of research here and on the internet. Everything I've read says DC is much more energy efficient. I especially like the controller which allows for flow adjustment. I understand gate valves work just fine but my theory is, not using a gate valve (I will have one, and only use for fine tuning flow) will decrease back-pressure on the pump and the pump won't have to work as hard pushing my desired flow... thus extending the life of the pump.

Len
01-13-2015, 01:17 AM
I hadn't considered wear from back pressure on the pump, but I do really like the idea of being able to dial back the flow from the controller.

alron2
05-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Greg, any update on the pump you ordered?

Blademan
05-18-2015, 09:12 PM
I bought one of these submersible pumps for my sump, water flow can be adjusted, and it also has a built in UV lamp, up to now very good pump no problems, water flow is around 2000 GPH, but there are models that have a higher output

tonysdiscus
06-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Question for all, i just bought a 48" tall by 6 feet long tank and wanted to kow if this 12k model will be enought for my set up i am about to start?? will be discus and planted as well. sorry to hi-jack your thread

rickztahone
06-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Question for all, i just bought a 48" tall by 6 feet long tank and wanted to kow if this 12k model will be enought for my set up i am about to start?? will be discus and planted as well. sorry to hi-jack your thread

48" tall tank? Seriously? Please provide a picture of this, I'm rather curious.

jake
07-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Tankster your gallonage is just a bit over mine, 65 gal sump and 3 tanks for 195 gallons.

I am going for a smaller turnover, probably 5 X. Like to see your system. I am cycling the tanks now, the sump is in place under the bigger tank with two others to either side. I still have to plumb the system. I am using overflow boxes. I'd like to hear more about your system.

Tankster
07-20-2015, 01:35 PM
We just finished the electrical this weekend so will be setting the system up pretty soon. I am looking for an affordable LARGE water tank for ageing/pre-heating my water. I have the 240 and will have a 75 grow out + 40b hospital/dither tank that the storage tank will need to service. I am thinking at least 250 gallons for the storage tank. I have come to find these are not cheap so am on the hunt.

rickztahone
07-20-2015, 02:19 PM
We just finished the electrical this weekend so will be setting the system up pretty soon. I am looking for an affordable LARGE water tank for ageing/pre-heating my water. I have the 240 and will have a 75 grow out + 40b hospital/dither tank that the storage tank will need to service. I am thinking at least 250 gallons for the storage tank. I have come to find these are not cheap so am on the hunt.

check your local Craiglist. I see many of the large squre ones that are around 300g I believe for around $100-$150

Tankster
07-20-2015, 06:13 PM
check your local Craigslist. I see many of the large squre ones that are around 300g I believe for around $100-$150

Thanks Ricardo. I have also been checking an auction site called Rasmus. No luck so far but will keep at it.

Tankster
07-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Here is a quick video for those of you who might be interested in the dedicated panel I had installed to run the fish-room.

https://youtu.be/EBcV68cLjq8

*edit - why does it not embed but show a link instead?

rickztahone
07-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks Ricardo. I have also been checking an auction site called Rasmus. No luck so far but will keep at it.

forgot to add, look for "food grade barrel" as your key words.