PDA

View Full Version : Threaded VS Slip bulkhead. Cons & Pros?

Champion Discus
08-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Looking for advice on threaded vs slip bulkhead on a overflow...

Which one has the leverage over the other...

and any prior use and experience would be great

thanks in advance..

dragon1974
08-22-2014, 10:27 AM
I would say treaded as it would be easy to unhook and redo your plumbing/move tanks etc. I'm in the process of redoing my tank and I find the treaded fittings are good when you don't know how everything is going to work out. I just have to reapply the plumbing tape and away I go, but if you've already placed your tank and know it will not be moving I would recommend the slip and glue as it is less problems with leaks if you apply the glue properly.

Champion Discus
08-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Haven't bought any bulkhead yet, but it seems that the slip bulkheads are threaded on the outside correct? So is it safe to say that you can go both route whether you plan on slip gluing it or thread screwing elbows on them...?

Champion Discus
09-03-2014, 03:00 AM
Any other input?

timmy82
09-03-2014, 05:59 AM
Threaded are easier to come by where i am and more functional. The slip would only make it a tiny bit easier in a tank that it needed to have the screen cleared often. Unless there is a large price difference I would just stay with the screw type.

kris2341
09-20-2014, 05:34 PM
you cannot reliably use the outer threads of a bulkhead to connect tubing as it is a nonstandard thread. Unless otherwise specified, the outer threads are only meant for the use of the locking nut, nothing more, nothing less.

Only the inner threads of a threaded bulkhead are standard, that is, you can go to a hardware store and dig out some compatible fittings to work with your bulkheads.

with very few exceptions, i only use threaded bulkheads. Once you put them in, depending on their location, you probably wouldnt want to take it out/replace it if you didn't need to. When you use slip bulkheads, you HAVE to replace it if something goes bad.

NH Murph
10-04-2014, 10:12 AM
I prefer the "slip" type of bulkhead. Glued pipe isn't going to leak, and you can simply add a short nipple and a union if you want to have the piping easily removable.