PDA

View Full Version : K1 media question

kwan8911
09-04-2014, 12:24 AM
Hi everyone,

I am currently running as 29 gal sum filled with K1 media on my 90 gal tank, it is performing very well in terms of biological filtration and self cleaning. However, since I am running quite a powerful air pump, the K1 media is too noisy, and the noise doesn't come from the pump, it come from the the air bubble bursting on the water surface and the K1 media itself. To reduce the noise level, I have some thoughts

Turn off the air pump, I assume the K1 media perform like traditional bio balls and continue the biological filtration, for about one day every week, turn on the air pump let the K1 media tumble for a day to self clean.

I will run a small air pump on the sump if the main air pump is turned off.

So, my question is will that works ?

Thanks for the help.

dkeef
09-04-2014, 02:40 AM
Nope. Turning off air for k1 will cause many of its bacteria to die off causing massive ammonia spike.
Google it. Many have already talked about this.

If u dont like noise from using air with k1 then get marine pure and dont use air pump.

Altum Nut
09-04-2014, 09:22 AM
I agree with Dave as do not turn off air supply. Just run a smaller pump or bleed off that line.

...Ralph

kwan8911
09-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the advice, any idea how to make the k1 media quite ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Altum Nut
09-04-2014, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=kwan8911;1112345]Thanks for the advice, any idea how to make the k1 media quite ?

How big is your pump???? All you need is to tumble K1 media not make it boil over.
I hope your using air stones instead of an open air-line.

...Ralph

kwan8911
09-04-2014, 10:47 AM
I am using a linear piston air pump from jehmco rated at 47llpm, connected to 1/2" pvc in the bottom of the tank with 30 small holes drilled in the pvc, I think this method that I used is producing a bigger air bubble than desire. I would try the airstone idea a try, any recommendation on the air stone ?

Altum Nut
09-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Is it the LPH45? That is completely over-kill if it's just used for your 29g sump. That pump can run 20+ air-lines depending on where tanks are and height placement.
All you need is to basically roll the media or direct current to the side. As you mentioned...bigger then required bubbles for what you have with your set-up. However, you will have to bleed off a lot of air if using a air-stone or two as it is not good for the pump.
Any air-stones will work and they do have longer ones available at any LFS or online.

...Ralph

kwan8911
09-04-2014, 02:32 PM
It is the LPH45, I originally plan to use it to run 2 K1 sump, but I only time to maintain one tank ATM. I will try the air stone when I have time, the sump is doing great except for the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk