PDA

View Full Version : How many adult discus in a 150G hightech planted

KaiAi
09-07-2014, 02:14 PM
How many adult discus would be advisable to keep in a matured 150G high tech planted tank ?

(63" x 24" x 24")

I have been considering discus for a while and want to give it a go. I have been into planted tanks and apistogrammas for 9 years but i have never tried discus.

This tank was setup in january with discus in mind with a 32G sump.

inhabitants

otos, sae, bamboo shrimps, adult amano shrimps, 40 adult rummy nose and 9 juvenile laetacara dorsigiera (will remove some when sexed an paired )

pastry
09-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Kai, I'd say it depends on how much room to swim and how much of it is actually water as opposed to substrate, plants, wood, etc. That aside, I'd say 6-7 comfortably

KaiAi
09-07-2014, 05:21 PM
6-7 sound perfect. im worried about pecking order. some adviced 15 (the more the happier discus analogy) but i've tend to keep low fish count in the past compared to size. The tank is not densly planted. "grass style look" with vallisneria in background then a bunch of small cryptocoryne varities, mixing in lilaeopsis brasiliensis and a staurogyne repens carpet in front. some roots and thats it.

My black background will most likely be a "no no" but i dont mind peppering as long as the discus wont be stressed by dark background...

i also keep PH stable at 6,2 with a PH controller and lab quality ph probe. using co2 to bring ph down from 7,3.

My KH is 2.3 and GH is 4 (my tap water parameters)

discuspaul
09-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Being a newcomer to discus, I'd suggest under-stocking the tank with adult, or near adult, sized discus. The suggestions made for 6-7 fish is good, and even 8 would be ok. With that many, you shouldn't have any trouble with overly aggressive pecking order establishment.
As for the black background, that shouldn't be a problem if you avoid Pigeon Bloods, or pigeon-blood based discus.
And if your substrate is a very light pastel color (or white sand, e.g.), even pigeon-based fish may not pepper much, if at all.
Best of luck to you.

KaiAi
09-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Thank you both for great advice. i need to research futher to make sure i can commit to the requirements.

7 adult is what i will aim for then. reading your beginner guide paul.

jds1990
09-13-2014, 11:48 PM
As long as you are over 4 or 5 you will be fine. I have 100g with 30g sump with 13 discus 2 bn pleco and 1 atlantic stingray. My tank is planted but lightly due to my pump because of its 1200gph pump. Under 6 you may encounter extreme aggression problems well at least I did any way. Sounds like you're off to a great start! I kept my first discus in a community tank I saw the fish in a store here in jax fl only store that carries discus and fell in love. I literally was like a kid in a candy store and wasn't leaving till I had one. Lol at 22 years of age! I bought one and bought 3 the next time. They fought and two died later down the line. They are a SHOALING fish. With at least 6 you will spread out the aggression as equally as you can hope especially since you have a larger more spacious tank. What strains are you looking for? I like all sorts of beautifully colored fish so I have a variety.

jds1990
09-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Here is the first one I bought coincidentally he got the biggest I take pretty good care of them!http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/13/66fe563c899045a9a9234f2c64a9ae2e.jpg

Miss_Fish
09-14-2014, 09:51 AM
The otos will bother the discus. They will eat their slime coat.

discuspaul
09-14-2014, 11:35 AM
The otos will bother the discus. They will eat their slime coat.

Possibly. Same problem could occur with SAE's.

KaiAi
11-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi,

I have not read the tips on removing SAE and otto`s until today. I have a few ancistrus aswell. Should i ASAP remove otto, SAE and Ancistrus ? (do they eat their slime coat?)
I obtained 8 discus yesterday. Since i have no means of ensuring i get quality discus due to lack of knowledge would you be so kind to have a look at them ?

The pics are taken 2 hours after introduction in the tank. i dont know why but co2 micro bubbles where attaching to their fins in the beginning. thus its not ich you see there on the pics.
They have been in the tank for 24 hours now and are swimming around eating insects.

The discus have been raised to 4" (except the red melons which are just above 3") without beef heart using insects and algea as the food source so i assume they might be "stunted" compared to todays aquarium standards ?

URL to pictures: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4GWZuqDGTd3PT

billfromreading
11-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Very nice tank KaiAi. I have Otos with my discus in a planted tank and I've never seen them bother the Discus at all. BTW, it sounds like you are coming to Discus from a planted tank background, same as me. I got a smile out of your description of your tank as not heavily planted, I think most people on this site would consider your tank heavily planted, but I see no issues with the amount of plants vs the number of discus.

What are your plans for water changes?

KaiAi
11-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Very nice tank KaiAi. I have Otos with my discus in a planted tank and I've never seen them bother the Discus at all. BTW, it sounds like you are coming to Discus from a planted tank background, same as me. I got a smile out of your description of your tank as not heavily planted, I think most people on this site would consider your tank heavily planted, but I see no issues with the amount of plants vs the number of discus.

What are your plans for water changes?

The plan is 30% two times a week as opposed to 35% once a week pre discus. (im dosing customized dry ferts each day, not EI method)

I did not know this is considered a heavily planted tank. i have done planted tanks since 2005 so your assumption is correct. Thank you for the kind feedback on my tank.

YSS
11-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Nice looking tank. Good luck with your discus.

KaiAi
11-15-2014, 07:56 PM
5 days in tank. had one incident this far. i found one discus in my overflow chamber. i dont use a comb right now, just sanded glass edges to prevent co2 gasing.

A patch of its slime coat got damaged in the process. i hope it will heal w/o infection.

Part from that every thing is going so well it scares me. Every morning i pray they are ok before i go to the tank, expecting them all to be dead. My sump and plants seem to eat away the ammonia and nitrite so willingly even though i keep feeding 4-5 times a day.. i now have 2 laetacara dorsigiera pairs laying eggs, ancistrus spawning, shrimps are full of eggs.

amityadav
01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
i would not keep more than 8.