PDA

View Full Version : Another batch - This time fed only Forrest aquabits from free swimming (no bbs)

Len
09-08-2014, 10:06 PM
So far so good. I fed aquabits (DF1) from day 1 of attachment. It was mixed in a bit of tank water and shot at the fry by the sides of the parents for the first few days, then just sprinkled on the top of the water after that. The fry chased it floating in the water and the results were good. Not a single fry lost. They attached on 21 July and are about quarter size now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqFc5sfqbRE&index=2&list=UUq75DKHeh4egryIl y6zwerA

Second Hand Pat
09-08-2014, 11:13 PM
They look great Len. Nice job with these guys. :D

rickztahone
09-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Forrest seems to know his stuff. It must make rearing a little easier I suppose?

Len
09-09-2014, 08:53 PM
quite a bit easier. The water doesn't seem to foul nearly as fast either.

blueluv
09-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Looking good Len.:)

musicmarn1
09-28-2014, 11:45 PM
Really great to see batches grown out on aquabits

Skip
09-29-2014, 10:22 AM
nice!! thanks for the Update!!

doublediscusjack
09-29-2014, 02:30 PM
With the Aquabits, I have been experimenting too, feeding it to baby discus, as you have, as well as to other size discus, up through large 2+ year olds, comparing results with other foods of different makes. In addition to what you have learned, I also found that ALL discus seem love the flavor of Aquabits, or are otherwise strongly attracted to it for whatever reasons. In appearance, the Aquabits seem very well made; of high quality too.

Len
09-29-2014, 02:54 PM
I do feed it to my adults too and they all take it eagerly.

Wes
10-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Len, So is the growth rate of these discus compariable to the ones you started with brine, now that they are 3+ months old?

Len
10-31-2014, 07:58 PM
They seem to be growing well, but to be honest I've nit measured them. I'll measure a few and compare the results. I will say the fish look healthy and to date I've only lost 1 of the fry.

MKD
10-31-2014, 08:45 PM
Lens, i have couple questions, hope you don't mind. how often and how much did you feed them at beginning? Does it break down into water quick?

Thank you in advance,

Tony

Len
11-01-2014, 02:25 PM
I don't mind at all tony. At first, when the fry were attached to the parents, I started from day 1 by mixing the aquabites with tank water and then squirting them at the sides of the parents where the fry were. I used the df1 for this and did it several times a day. I used enough to create a cloud of food like you'd have feeding heavy bbs. It didn't break down in the water quickly, but eventually settles on the bottom of the tank just like bbs would so you have to keep on top of cleaning just the same. This is the part I find the most tedious because while being careful not to siphon any stray fry I also try to be careful to avoid the parents because mine tend to get very aggressive during this time and attack anything that goes in the tank including my hands and I don't want to agitate them to the point they start eating the fry. After a few days I just started sprinkling it on the surface of the water and it slowly starts to circulate in the water for awhile before settling. When they got a bit bigger I started using the df4 and just crushed it with my fingers (until I got DF2) and it worked fine. Now I just give them a bit of DF4 twice a day and they pick it from the bottom of the tank.

I measured them last night and they are mostly in the 2 inch range so they are growing more slowly than the last batch that were at 2.5 inches by 2 months, but I also didn't feed these guys nearly as often. I'm fine with that though because they look healthy and seem to be consistently growing and it's been far far less work.

musicmarn1
11-01-2014, 03:33 PM
any picture updates? i might grow out my next batch entirely on this with beefheart right before the water changes only ! love seeing your experiment here :)

be nice to see the photos now

MKD
11-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Thank you Lens. That's awesome, I'll give it a go.

Len
11-01-2014, 05:37 PM
any updates? i might grow out my next batch entirely on this with beefheart right before the water changes only ! love seeing your experiment here :)

What specifically did you want to know?

dkeef
11-02-2014, 03:14 AM
Where can u buy them at?

blueluv
11-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Where can u buy them at?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?115-DiscusForrest-(Breeder-amp-Exporter)-Johor-Malaysia
You purchase them here Dave

John_Nicholson
11-02-2014, 08:59 AM
I know that you said you are not feeding as much but a 1/2 of growth loss in fish that size is pretty significant. Also I saw where you have mentioned that you have only lost one so far. In the past of you had issues with losing fry? I seldom lose any fry. Everyone know that I only feed BBS but I losr less than 1% of my fry. Even the runts and belly sliders last until I get around to culling them.

-john

Len
11-02-2014, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't say I had issues losing fry, but there is always a couple. I suspect if I had fed this batch the same way I fed the group from last year the growth would have been more similar so I'd more attribute the difference in size to the amount of effort om my part rather than what I was feeding. Truth be told, I was also in TX for a week where they weren't fed at all but that couldn't be helped.

musicmarn1
11-02-2014, 04:41 PM
I measured them last night and they are mostly in the 2 inch range so they are growing more slowly than the last batch that were at 2.5 inches by 2 months, but I also didn't feed these guys nearly as often. I'm fine with that though because they look healthy and seem to be consistently growing and it's been far far less work.

so your feeding a lot less often and you are seeing a .5" difference? in all honesty do you believe your feeding less is the only reason for that difference in growth or because you are feeding different food? what food did you feed when you did the last batch? which was at this point, .5" bigger? any pictures also? :p

Len
11-02-2014, 07:03 PM
so your feeding a lot less often and you are seeing a .5" difference? in all honesty do you believe your feeding less is the only reason for that difference in growth or because you are feeding different food? what food did you feed when you did the last batch? which was at this point, .5" bigger? any pictures also? :p

I can't say that's the only reason. The batch last Christmas from the same parents was raised quite a bit differently. They were fed much more, had far more water changes and by this stage and even before were fed a much larger variety of foods. I wouldn't go so far as to say this batch have been neglected, but I certainly didn't put the same amount of effort into raising them. I don't really think .5" is a big concern, or at least not for me. As long as they look healthy and have decent shape then I'm satisfied.