PDA

View Full Version : water changes with new eggs in tank???

greenphantom1994
09-18-2014, 11:44 AM
basically, I think ive got a pair in my tank. they only been in there about 10 days but last night my spotted leopard and white butterfly layed loads and loads of eggs on my manzanita driftwood. the leopard is 100% female as ive seen her lay the eggs, and according to the breeder I had my fish from, the white butterfly is a male. he is constantly protecting the female and warning off any other discus that come close. this is all new to me so im not really sure what to do. however I did plan on doing a water change tonight on my tank, is this safe to do so? any help would be great.

pcsb23
09-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Yep, just go ahead and do the water change. Not wanting to burst bubbles, and remembering the excitement the first time my discus laid eggs, this is not a great cross as the white butterfly is pigeon based. Also the eggs/wrigglers/fry are unlikely to survive in a community tank as they will become a tasty snack ...

John_Nicholson
09-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Water changes are fine. Do some reading in the breeding sections. I know that I have personally answered this question at least 100 times. I would not worry about the eggs. The chance of them making it are slim to none in a community tank setting.

-john

DISCUS STU
09-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Good luck, but if they're a good pair they'll probably need to be moved to their own tank. The chances of them raising fry in a community tank are pretty slim but it's still great when this happens the first time. As mentioned, the "Breeding Section" is a good place to start, probably in the "sticky notes" section. There's also a tremendous amount of information on the internet about breeding. Most of it good.