PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining water quality whilst medicating fish

vikki
09-21-2014, 07:37 PM
I have a question regarding how to maintain water quality whilst medicating discus fish?

I have noticed several fish medications say to treat for x amount of days then do a water change...however if daily water changes are normally performed is it best to:

1) follow medication instructions and don't change water for however many days instructions states (if this is the case, is it best to cut down on feedings to main water quality for duration of treatment), OR
2) still keep doing daily water changes but redose medication for the amount of water changed so the medication is being replaced and fish are still getting daily water changes?

sdrexler078
09-21-2014, 07:52 PM
I always do number 2 and re dose I believe clean water is much more important than meds. Although it's rare that I have sick fish but if I do I'm not very good at reviving unless it's ick or something simple

nc0gnet0
09-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Bear in mind that most fish medications are not normally "Discus specific" so when they recommend a water change after 2-3 days this is still much sooner than normal maintenance for most.

With that in mind, number 2 is almost always the better option (this is of course not factoring in cost).

vikki
09-28-2014, 03:31 AM
Awesome thanks for the responses :)

DISCUS STU
11-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Number 2 is how I try to do it and that's why it's good to have a 10-15 gallon hospital tank so your not wasting a lot of the medication and it's more concentrated.

Sometimes if I'm using a med. that really kills the bio filter I'll also use AmmoChips to help keep down the ammonia. I use Hagen Aquaclean power filters for the filtration and they can be layered with sponges, filter floss, and a media bag. They also do a good job of aerating the water.

brewmaster15
11-16-2014, 06:06 AM
Its a really good idea to feed lighter than normal when treating as well.Many meds will impair appetite and food not eaten will lower water quality and raise ammonia...this can be a lethal combination when using antibiotics that can impair biological filtration.

A few days of little or no food will not hurt juvies and adults that have been healthy...fry and very young fish may get stunted but often just the act of medicating them for something like a bacterial or protozoan infection will do that.

Hth,
al