PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite tank - 110 Wild

Larry Bugg
10-21-2014, 10:43 PM
This has become my favorite tank or maybe I should say my favorite tank full of Discus. I really like the 110 but the Wilds in it have become outstanding.

110 Gallon - 4 x 24 x 30
2 x Rena XP3
Pool filter sand and a couple of pieces of manzanita

4 x Manacapuru Blue
2 x Cuipeua Red
1 x Royal (sold as a red but I think it is a blue)

I originally planned on keeping it at 6 but every time I try to pull one out I just can't pick one to go, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7lLghGG8Ks&feature=youtu.be

trungnguyen
10-21-2014, 10:47 PM
It's very nice tank. :)

discuspaul
10-21-2014, 11:02 PM
If I had some wilds like that, it'd be my favorite tank too.
They look so calm, comfortable, and easy going ! What a well-behaved group, Larry - don't remove that 7th one - you might mess with that great symbiotic mood they've established among themselves.

musicmarn1
10-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Ive always wanted Cuipeua red myself, though i have to say the blue, look simply stunning. This group looks fantastic Larry! I love love the personality of my wilds, however i am not doing the best at making them truly happy in my water. they are very friendly for me and eat like pigs but they are not as sharp, bright and colored and my water is really not the best for them. its a shame i lost RO capacity but im working on a solution...

so its nice to see YOURS doing so well!

Rudustin
10-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Larry, Beautiful tank and discus. Rufus

Len
10-22-2014, 01:40 AM
Larry, you always make me envious when you show your tanks. Beautiful fish.

and btw, I'd watch that lower left fish. Any time my wilds have shown the last 4 bars more prominently dark like that -- spawning followed soon after :)

marinum
10-22-2014, 02:56 AM
Wow

Kirbs
10-22-2014, 02:56 AM
Very nice Larry! They are looking really good!

Larry Bugg
10-22-2014, 12:24 PM
It's very nice tank. :)

Larry, Beautiful tank and discus. Rufus

Wow

Very nice Larry! They are looking really good!

Thanks for the nice comments.

Larry Bugg
10-22-2014, 12:28 PM
They look so calm, comfortable, and easy going ! What a well-behaved group, Larry - don't remove that 7th one - you might mess with that great symbiotic mood they've established among themselves.

Thanks Paul, it is very relaxing sitting and watching them. I was trying to keep my wild tanks in the 1 per 20 gallon range hoping that I can encourage them to breed.

Larry Bugg
10-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Ive always wanted Cuipeua red myself, though i have to say the blue, look simply stunning. This group looks fantastic Larry! I love love the personality of my wilds, however i am not doing the best at making them truly happy in my water. they are very friendly for me and eat like pigs but they are not as sharp, bright and colored and my water is really not the best for them. its a shame i lost RO capacity but im working on a solution...

so its nice to see YOURS doing so well!

Hopefully you can find that solution. While we can keep wilds in different water parameters they sure thrive best in soft acidic water. I think you hit on it when you said sharp, bright and colored. These attributes seem to really come out when the water is right. Keep in mind that with wilds it takes a long time for them to really get settled in and show their best. With domestics they can look great after a couple days settling in but with wilds it may be 6 months to a year.

Larry Bugg
10-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Larry, you always make me envious when you show your tanks. Beautiful fish.

and btw, I'd watch that lower left fish. Any time my wilds have shown the last 4 bars more prominently dark like that -- spawning followed soon after :)

Quite a compliment. Thanks Len. I have been a little envious of your ability to breed wilds so guess we are even, lol. The weather is just starting to change here and my tanks are no longer stuck in the mid 80's as they are all summer long. You can tell that they sense the changes taking place with the weather and I once again have the ability to make water changes with cooler water. Fingers crossed. I have also noticed some of their fins darkening.

zergling
10-23-2014, 04:00 AM
Larry, love this tank! I hope when the day comes that I feel confident enough to get wilds, I'd have success like you and the other experienced members here.

Quick question - wouldn't 48" x 24" x 30" make this a 149 gallon tank? Or is this 48" x 18" x 30"? I ask because I like the dimensions - something to consider when I upgrade my tank. Thanks!

Larry Bugg
10-23-2014, 06:35 AM
Opps. My bad. It is 48x18x30. Thanks for the catch.

YSS
10-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Very nice, Larry!

Second Hand Pat
10-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Larry, they look great Larry. I agree with Len. :D
Pat

Larry Bugg
10-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Very nice, Larry!

Thanks Yun, appreciate it.

Larry, they look great Larry. I agree with Len. :D
Pat

Keeping my fingers crossed Pat. Haven't really seen any kind of pairing behavior yet.

Larry Bugg
10-30-2014, 09:38 PM

Well the removal of the 7th one was by natural means but certainly not the way I wanted it to happen. A couple of days ago I came home from work and found one of them had been beaten up pretty badly. So much for calm. I pulled it and put it in a qt tank but it didn't make it.

Second Hand Pat
10-30-2014, 09:44 PM
That bites Larry. I have a little rough housing happening in the 230 also but nothing to bad.

Larry Bugg
10-30-2014, 09:48 PM
That bites Larry. I have a little rough housing happening in the 230 also but nothing to bad.

The weather is really starting to change here. Supposed to get down into the low 30's here this weekend. Thinking that has a little to do with it. They are starting to get feisty in both the big wild tanks.

Second Hand Pat
10-30-2014, 09:58 PM
It will be 45 here Larry this coming weekend. However I generally do not get any actual spawning behaviors until February or at least that has been true the last three years.

OC Discus
10-30-2014, 10:22 PM
I came home from work.

Sorry for your loss. Good thing you didn't have to choose one to remove.

I thought you were now a full-time discus keeper. Working on a second retirement?

Though wilds are slower to acclimate, are they also more aggressive at times than domestics?

musicmarn1
10-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Im sorry to hear that also, Larry :( how is the group acting with one down? i had to cull two of mine and the group dynamic in my wilds tank has not changed at all luckily

Larry Bugg
10-30-2014, 10:42 PM
Sorry for your loss. Good thing you didn't have to choose one to remove.

I thought you were now a full-time discus keeper. Working on a second retirement?

Though wilds are slower to acclimate, are they also more aggressive at times than domestics?

Driving a school bus now in my spare time. It's a great part time job and leaves me plenty of time for the fish.

I don't think there is more aggression but they tend to form a tighter group than domestics.

Larry Bugg
10-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Im sorry to hear that also, Larry :( how is the group acting with one down? i had to cull two of mine and the group dynamic in my wilds tank has not changed at all luckily

I haven't really noticed a change in their behavior.