PDA

View Full Version : Number of fish

torch
10-25-2014, 07:53 PM
How many 3 inch discus can I put in 50 gallon tank? What is minimum number to have?

tiSherman
10-25-2014, 07:57 PM
6 is the best number

discuspaul
10-25-2014, 10:30 PM
At least 6, up to a dozen or more, at least for a while.

torch
10-27-2014, 01:52 PM
At least 6, up to a dozen or more, at least for a while.

I have a 50 Gallon Seaclear Acrylic tank 15"L x 36"W x 20"H and this will my permanent tank. I have no space to get a bigger tank later. I am afraid that 6 may be too small of tank after their grow outs.

I was thinking of getting three or five for now in 3 to 3.5 " size and when they get bigger I still have 1 fish per 10 gallon of water. Five is not do-able?

Btw my fully cycled 50 gallon has two Dension Bard, 5 tiny Neon Tetras and one puprle Rainbow already. No substrate or pants just few rocks.

musicmarn1
10-27-2014, 02:10 PM
i say the only way to go with a 50g is a pair or two compatible fish, get two big ones and enjoy them ! or to grow out juvies in for a while but its not long before the footprint is just too small, i have several 55g and i see a HUGE difference in behavior when i upgrade the grown out juvies into bigger tanks, my pairs are happy in that footrint

but lastly, i believe barbs are a fish i will never ever put with discus, i call them my mini piranhas !! they are such fiesty darn fish they make all my tetras look sleepy.....

torch
10-27-2014, 02:19 PM
i say the only way to go with a 50g is a pair or two compatible fish, get two big ones and enjoy them ! or to grow out juvies in for a while but its not long before the footprint is just too small, i have several 55g and i see a HUGE difference in behavior when i upgrade the grown out juvies into bigger tanks, my pairs are happy in that footrint

but lastly, i believe barbs are a fish i will never ever put with discus, i call them my mini piranhas !! they are such fiesty darn fish they make all my tetras look sleepy.....

I like this plan to pair them after getting 5 or 6 juvies but I just hate to have to put rest for sale later.

Tankster
10-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Have you considered using wet sump filtration? You could increase your total volume to 70 or 80 gallons which would be ok for 5 or 6 fish +tankmates. The biggest challenge for you with a heavy bioload in that tank (at 50 gallons) is going to be keeping your water quality in good shape. Unless you are willing to change lots of water 3-4 times a week with adult fish, it is going to be hard to keep your fish healthy and thriving.

Rudustin
10-27-2014, 06:53 PM

but lastly, i believe barbs are a fish i will never ever put with discus, i call them my mini piranhas !! they are such fiesty darn fish they make all my tetras look sleepy..... I completely agree with Marnie. I have the very same tank that you have. It has a blue background? Anyway what I have had in it is a pair of Albino Golden Melons and then I moved them and I have now a pair of Black Angel fish. They are quite big but as far as putting any more than an adult pair in that sized tank I would consider risky. I am expecting two six inch discus at the end of November and that tank will end up being a qt tank for those fish. Just an opinion. Hope you can work it out. Rufus

torch
10-28-2014, 08:52 AM
My tank has clear background and barebottom plant-less. I am just concern about swimming space my 50G running Aquaclear 70 packed with Bio-Max from top to bottom with pre-filter Max II Sponge. For additional filtration there is ATI sponge IV inside the tank in the corner. So I think my filtration can handle 5 to 6 discus plus the smaller fishes. This tank fully cycled I just sold all my fancy goldfish which was in this tank. I was performing 90% WC weekly.

Rudustin
10-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Okay if that's what you want to do. Won't argue. I do suggest you up your water changes. Everyone has to do what works for them. Are you doing juveniles or adults? Rufus

torch
10-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Okay if that's what you want to do. Won't argue. I do suggest you up your water changes. Everyone has to do what works for them. Are you doing juveniles or adults? Rufus

Hi Rudustin no argue, just want to provide tank setup info. I am planning to get 3-3.5" discus from Kenny and needs to decide on number of discus to order. Thanks for your help and feedback. The 3-3.5 is still consider Juveniles rights? Again I know 6 is ideal number but I think its too much fish for my 50G.

How about 3 discus (one will be loner or outcast later maybe I would sell it ) or max it out at 5? I don't want four.

How long would grow out estimation maybe year? I plan to feed FDBW and good pellets instead of beefheart. Weekly water change 50 to 90%.

musicmarn1
10-29-2014, 02:37 AM
Have you considered using wet sump filtration? You could increase your total volume to 70 or 80 gallons which would be ok for 5 or 6 fish +tankmates. The biggest challenge for you with a heavy bioload in that tank (at 50 gallons) is going to be keeping your water quality in good shape. Unless you are willing to change lots of water 3-4 times a week with adult fish, it is going to be hard to keep your fish healthy and thriving.

GOOD point !!

really well said Rufus :o