PDA

View Full Version : Tank plant leaves turning black...

jbop65
10-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone.Hope someone can help me with this my plants in my Discus tank are getting a black coating on them I trim them off and you can run your finger over the leaf and the black comes off.Is this a residue? I doing water changes 2 times a week 25% I also use leaf zone for the plants, The new light I put in tank is meant more for plant growth.And all my water test are good,So any ideas thanks guys.

rickztahone
10-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Well the black on the plants is actually the plants simply dying/melting. It may also be Black Beard Algae (https://www.google.com/search?q=black+beard+algae&biw=1920&bih=911&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ASBQVMSWC8KzoQS54oCwAw&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ) which is a pain to get rid of. My initial thought is that you may be using too much light. What kind of planted tank are you running, and was does your equipment look like?

musicmarn1
10-29-2014, 12:38 AM
hope its not black beard algae, that stuff is a total and utter pain....:(

jbop65
10-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Ok so my filtration is a Marineland c-360 and my lighting is what the pet store said was best for plant growth, Floramax T8 25 watt lamp, I only have lamp on for 8 hours a day, I am going to try and see if I can post a picture, I am wondering if I should just take all plants out until I get a bigger tank I have a 55 gallon with 5 discus, if I decide to take the live plants out can fake plants be put in? I think once I get a large tank then I will get a oxygen system for the plants, does it really help?

jbop65
10-29-2014, 04:22 PM
http://https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204539703226857&set=pb.1061614746.-2207520000.1414614068.&type=3&theater (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204539703226857&set=pb.1061614746.-2207520000.1414614068.&type=3&theater)

This was taken yesterday while doing water change, should I remove the plants?

OC Discus
10-29-2014, 05:11 PM
Are the leaves dying or is the stuff growing on them? If they are dying I would definitely remove them.

OC Discus
10-29-2014, 05:11 PM
pics won't open

jbop65
10-29-2014, 05:49 PM
pics won't open

Its like a black or brown film that is on leaves you can run your finger over leaf and it comes off

ericNH
10-29-2014, 07:11 PM
sounds like algae to me. my immediate thoughts: ditch the ferts, try using some flourish excel instead, and up your water changes. stay on the eight-hour light cycle. i hope that helps.

jbop65
10-30-2014, 05:05 AM
sounds like algae to me. my immediate thoughts: ditch the ferts, try using some flourish excel instead, and up your water changes. stay on the eight-hour light cycle. i hope that helps.

Just so I understand, your saying I should do more water changes? I do 2 a week now at 25%

is the flourish excel a plant food like the leaf zone is?
So it's best to get rid of the plants I have and start over with new plants then?

thanks for your information

NH Murph
10-30-2014, 08:38 AM
I'd try cutting your light cycle down to 6 hours with a 2 hour break in the middle. It's easy to have too much light, and without co2, it's even easier. Sometimes, if it is lightly planted, adding some more plants can help to out compete the algae for nutrients from the ferts. I kept plants for a while without co2, but once I finally gave in and went high tech, I'll never go back!

ericNH
10-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Just so I understand, your saying I should do more water changes? I do 2 a week now at 25%

is the flourish excel a plant food like the leaf zone is?
So it's best to get rid of the plants I have and start over with new plants then?

thanks for your information

Yes on upping the water changes.

Floursih Excel is not a plant food per se; it provides a source of carbon for the plants, giving them what they need to absorb things like ferts or tank waste products. My idea here is to let the plants absorb as much of the tank's waste products as possible, leaving less for your algae to consume. Outcompete the algae, so to speak.

As far as starting with new plants, I can't really say. I would keep any that still have some grenn leaves on them, and snip the or wipe off the black leaves. You could also throw a nerite snail or two in there to help clean your leaves.

A disclaimer here might be appropriate. I am stil pretty new at this, only been at it for like 9 months, so keep looking for more info. I think NH Murph offered some good advice, too; it might not be a bad thing to reduce your light cycle a tad.

Good luck! Stick with it and you will eventually achieve the balance your tank needs.

Frankr409
10-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Hi everyone.Hope someone can help me with this my plants in my Discus tank are getting a black coating on them I trim them off and you can run your finger over the leaf and the black comes off.Is this a residue? I doing water changes 2 times a week 25% I also use leaf zone for the plants, The new light I put in tank is meant more for plant growth.And all my water test are good,So any ideas thanks guys.

Black algae, but not a death sentence. Reduce the light, and reduce the intensity. Introduce mollies, just 4 or 5. reduce feeding as needed. Also, is it only growing on the plants, or also on the substrate?

OC Discus
10-30-2014, 10:12 PM
reduce feeding as needed.

If its a discus tank, I would remove the plants instead of reducing feeding. Fish can continue to grow for a couple of years at least. Reducing feeding will stunt the fish. Removing plants and gravel will let you clean the tank better, removing a larger percentage of the waste and dissolved organic solids. Large water changes will also help remove the excess nutrients in the water that are feeding the algae.

Frankr409
10-31-2014, 06:36 AM
If its a discus tank, I would remove the plants instead of reducing feeding. Fish can continue to grow for a couple of years at least. Reducing feeding will stunt the fish. Removing plants and gravel will let you clean the tank better, removing a larger percentage of the waste and dissolved organic solids. Large water changes will also help remove the excess nutrients in the water that are feeding the algae.

I likely should have clarified that I was referring to the fertilization. Leaf zone, I think the OC said.

tacks
10-31-2014, 02:47 PM
You can used Furan 2. It is great for black algae and wont harm the fish. Ed

billfromreading
11-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Furan 2 fights black algae? That is very interesting. Can you supply more details? Dosages? Methods of applying it?

I have battled BA in my planted Discus tank to a standstill using Excel, but it is stubbornly holding on to some of my hardscape that I can't remove from the tank without taking the whole tank apart. Anything that I can safely use to get rid of it would be appreciated.