PDA

View Full Version : Growing out Discuses of different in 100 gal tank. Please advice

ujwaldignified
11-06-2014, 03:35 AM
The following are my collection.
Will this setup be a good growout tank.

Filtration - 1600lph Hangon back filter cleaned everyday.

1. 5 inch leopard - 1no
2. 4.5 Sunshine melon - 1no
3. 4 inch Face spotted super eruptions - 2 nos.
4. 3.5 inch Super red mandarins - 2 nos.
5. 3 inch red spiders - 4 nos.

This is what I have in a 100 gal tank.
Feeding schedule - 3 times a day BH.
Water change schedule - 100% everyday.
Temperature 30C, pH 7.5, TDS 550
Siphoning once a day.

pcsb23
11-06-2014, 08:24 AM
I generally advise splitting sizes, particularly if we are talking 3" and 5" fish. I would keep the 3" to 4" fish together and above 4" together, but if you only have the one tank it is a moot point. Just make sure you feed well and keep up with the water changes. You would also run into issues with numbers, rather lack of numbers too.

100% changes daily on a tank with a (presumably) working bio filter isn't strictly needed, however I've never seen a discus killed with clean water ;)

Second Hand Pat
11-06-2014, 08:41 AM
and a temperature of 28C :D

bluelagoon
11-06-2014, 09:40 AM
IMO,I wouldn't go cleaning the filter everyday.I'd be afraid to up-set the cycle.

rickztahone
11-08-2014, 12:22 AM
IMO,I wouldn't go cleaning the filter everyday.I'd be afraid to up-set the cycle.

agreed. There is no need to clean a filter every day. If the filter is getting THAT dirty in one day, then it may be time to upgrade to a larger filter. OP, are you using the aquarium water to clean the filter?

ujwaldignified
11-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Since i am performing 100% wc everyday, there is no nitrogen cycle set at all in the first place. And even if i dont clean the sponge with freshwater everyday and i use the tank water, the 100% wc everyday brings the freshwater into the tank which is going to flush the filter media with freshwater (bcz of 100%wc) and the first day of the aquarium is restarted. So if i dont clean the filter everyday and since the nitrogen cycle is never set, the filter media builds up ammonia leading to ammonia spike.
P.S. Please do not oversee the feeding. They are getting beef heart 3 times a day. This releases lot of fat and blood into the water.
agreed. There is no need to clean a filter every day. If the filter is getting THAT dirty in one day, then it may be time to upgrade to a larger filter. OP, are you using the aquarium water to clean the filter?

pcsb23
11-20-2014, 05:37 AM
The filter does not release ammonia into the water. The fish release the ammonia due to respiration and waste production. Save your self some time and effort and rinse the filter just once a week. :)

DISCUS STU
11-20-2014, 11:19 AM
With a tank this size I wouldn't worry too much about the size differences. There's enough room for everyone and it may just work out. This is 10 Discus in a 100 gallon and many of them are still growing.

What's the setup? Bare bottom, decorations, etc.

ujwaldignified
11-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Bare bottom grow out tank.
Thank you.

With a tank this size I wouldn't worry too much about the size differences. There's enough room for everyone and it may just work out. This is 10 Discus in a 100 gallon and many of them are still growing.

What's the setup? Bare bottom, decorations, etc.

ujwaldignified
11-20-2014, 05:23 PM
I said filter releases ammonia bcz the fresh water changed everyday circulates through the old uncleared filter media accumulated for more than one day and wouldn't it give out some dissolved ammonia into the good water? I say ammonia bcz there is no nitrogen cycle and ammonia is still present in the media. Still confused. Please correct me. :confused:
The filter does not release ammonia into the water. The fish release the ammonia due to respiration and waste production. Save your self some time and effort and rinse the filter just once a week. :)

pcsb23
11-20-2014, 05:44 PM
The only way the media can produce ammonia is if large pieces of food get sucked up and trapped then start to decay, highly unlikely in most cases. Any trapped dirt that breaks down will produce ammonia, but in such a small amount that the bacteria (there will be some) will use it is food. Allowing the filter to establish will provide a better environment for the fish and a safety net for you! As long as you have not been sterilising the filter at each water change it will have some bacteria established, just let it establish more.

The huge bulk of the ammonia produced comes from the fish in the form of waste from respiration etc. the filter in and of itself does not produce any ammonia. Do you understand the nitrogen cycle? Basically the fish eats food, processes it and produces ammonia and other waste. This ammonia is broken down by bacteria mainly in the filter into nitrite which is further broken down by another type of bacteria into nitrates.

ujwaldignified
11-26-2014, 06:35 PM
The only way the media can produce ammonia is if large pieces of food get sucked up and trapped then start to decay, highly unlikely in most cases. Any trapped dirt that breaks down will produce ammonia, but in such a small amount that the bacteria (there will be some) will use it is food. Allowing the filter to establish will provide a better environment for the fish and a safety net for you! As long as you have not been sterilising the filter at each water change it will have some bacteria established, just let it establish more.

The huge bulk of the ammonia produced comes from the fish in the form of waste from respiration etc. the filter in and of itself does not produce any ammonia. Do you understand the nitrogen cycle? Basically the fish eats food, processes it and produces ammonia and other waste. This ammonia is broken down by bacteria mainly in the filter into nitrite which is further broken down by another type of bacteria into nitrates.

Yes i am basically a science student. I have also been keeping fish for past 20 years.
But do you mean that the Nitrogen cycle is NEVER absent?
If so, why is it advised that the media balls should not be cleaned with tap water but only with aquarium water?
With that idea i thought the 100% wc would wash away or inhibit the growth of benefecial bacteria in the filter sponge which is just a mechanical filtrate resulting in decaying of even the smallest fish waste in the accumulating media sponge.

So you mean an established filter can be a component of discus growout tank. But why does most successful discus grow out comletition in this forum use a simple set up of only bb tank, sponge filter , airstone and a heater?

I guess it is assumed that established filter is always a bet and one would only be putting their juvenile discuses in jeopardy and toxifying them if the nitrogen cycle is disturbed.

Please correct if i am wrong.

rickztahone
11-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Yes i am basically a science student. I have also been keeping fish for past 20 years.
If so, why is it advised that the media balls should not be cleaned with tap water but only with aquarium water?With that idea i thought the 100% wc would wash away or inhibit the growth of benefecial bacteria in the filter sponge which is just a mechanical filtrate resulting in decaying of even the smallest fish waste in the accumulating media sponge.

So you mean an established filter can be a component of discus growout tank. But why does most successful discus grow out comletition in this forum use a simple set up of only bb tank, sponge filter , airstone and a heater?

I guess it is assumed that established filter is always a bet and one would only be putting their juvenile discuses in jeopardy and toxifying them if the nitrogen cycle is disturbed.

Please correct if i am wrong.

If you use tap water, you will kill the beneficial bacteria with the untreated water. If you use aquarium water, it has already been treated and will not be harmful to the beneficial bacteria.

pcsb23
11-27-2014, 10:57 AM
If so, why is it advised that the media balls should not be cleaned with tap water but only with aquarium water?
With that idea i thought the 100% wc would wash away or inhibit the growth of benefecial bacteria in the filter sponge which is just a mechanical filtrate resulting in decaying of even the smallest fish waste in the accumulating media sponge.

Please correct if i am wrong.As Ricardo says water with any chlorine/chloramine in may adversely affect the bio filter. I say may as it depends on how mature the filter is, I have regularly rinsed sponge filters in ordinary tap and been ok, but they were well established.

Most of the successful members here don't do 100% water changes daily and rely on the sponge filter to manage ammonia and nitrites. In Malaysia many breeders do 2 water changes a day each of 100% and don't have any filters, but water is cheap there and already heated! Stendker in Germany only does around a 10% w/c per day and his tanks are extremely heavily stocked, they rely on large filters.

And sponge filters are one of the most efficient filters for biological and mechanical filtration there are btw. In the Stendker hatchery that is what is in his large sump style filters, sponges!

januka5
11-27-2014, 12:18 PM
What is the best method to get 3 cm discuss to 8 cm as fast as possible?

I have 100 gallons Tanks

1.Does it depend more on the number of times a day they are fed?
2.Or is the number of water changes they receive a day the most important?
3.Or does it depend on the content and quality of the food?
4.Or the number of fish in the tank and it's size?

ujwaldignified
11-27-2014, 04:45 PM
As Ricardo says water with any chlorine/chloramine in may adversely affect the bio filter. I say may as it depends on how mature the filter is, I have regularly rinsed sponge filters in ordinary tap and been ok, but they were well established.

Most of the successful members here don't do 100% water changes daily and rely on the sponge filter to manage ammonia and nitrites. In Malaysia many breeders do 2 water changes a day each of 100% and don't have any filters, but water is cheap there and already heated! Stendker in Germany only does around a 10% w/c per day and his tanks are extremely heavily stocked, they rely on large filters.

And sponge filters are one of the most efficient filters for biological and mechanical filtration there are btw. In the Stendker hatchery that is what is in his large sump style filters, sponges!

So do you think.....My plan to add 1 number of Eheim professional 3 2075 and 1 number of Eheim Classic 2017 filters does the job of keeping my 100 gal discus tank, with around 10 to 12 discus will be good enough, crystal clear and most importantly create a habitat for growing them out from 3.5 to 5 inch fishes to 6 to 7 inch exhibiting their full potential?
Or if thats not sufficient i shall make it 2 nos of Eheim professional 3 2075's.

P.S. Fishes are from Mark Tan of Malaysia.

pcsb23
11-28-2014, 04:53 AM
That would be plenty of filtration. I have a 350 litre tank (around 90 US gallons) and it is filtered by one eheim 2217

virusmk
11-28-2014, 06:42 AM
In general you can keep 1 discus in 10g water. When i raised my juvies i did feed 5-6 times a day and i was doing 50% wc every other day as my nitrates hardly ever went over 40ppm. I kept close eye on nitrates and when i would have noticed that nitrates are going close to 80 i would do wc.

In my 80g i have 8 discuses and had 2 canister filters combined 2100l/h water flow and one sponge attached to airline.
I only clean filters once in few months or if you notice that flow have significantly reduced.

At the end of the day it comes to how much you feed. As more food is added better filtration you need to have.

nc0gnet0
11-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Discuses ?

pcsb23
11-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Discuses ?
I think the OP is from India so I suspect English isn't his first language :)

paulW
12-12-2014, 12:17 PM

The beneficial bateria that convert ammonia to Nitrates will be in your water.. Some will come in with the fish if nothing else.
As the water passes through the filter, the good bateria will adhere to the floss/sponge/bioballs/whatever.
Even at a 100% daily water change, the fish will produce some ammonia for the good bacteria to feed on.
That's what the other guy meant (I assume)

Now, it's good to periodically clean your filter because the sponge/whatever collects waste (poop, uneaten food, etc) which breaks down into organic compounds which is undesirable.
But cleaning the filter every day is overkill for sure.
But even if you did rinse the filter every day in aquarium water, you'd still have some good bacteria clinging to it.