PDA

View Full Version : Scare of lighting

torch
11-12-2014, 07:25 PM
New discus I got today is scare of CurrentUSA Satellite LED Plus. I tried using more blue lighting to make dimmer and darker but they just hide in corner?

rickztahone
11-12-2014, 07:35 PM
yes, it is a known fact that very bright lighting will make discus timid. Try dimming the lights, or turning them off completely until they get more use to the tank.

PhilNH
11-17-2014, 07:35 PM
I have used some long horizontal type plastic plants at the top of my aquariums. They come with a suction cup, so they are pretty easy to use to create some "shade." When the discus are more acclimated to the lighting, you can begin removing them.

Philip

brewmaster15
11-17-2014, 09:06 PM
You can also use aluminum foil also as a diffuser...cover the lid in it and cut out some patterns...this will create shadows in the water same concept as Philips suggestion. Over time remove more foil and the fish should get used to things.
Hth,
AL

discuspaul
11-17-2014, 09:30 PM
I have used some long horizontal type plastic plants at the top of my aquariums. They come with a suction cup, so they are pretty easy to use to create some "shade." When the discus are more acclimated to the lighting, you can begin removing them.

Philip

You can also use aluminum foil also as a diffuser...cover the lid in it and cut out some patterns...this will create shadows in the water same concept as Philips suggestion. Over time remove more foil and the fish should get used to things.
Hth,
AL

Both of these ideas are quite good - hadn't thought of either one of them. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

Second Hand Pat
11-17-2014, 09:32 PM
New discus I got today is scare of CurrentUSA Satellite LED Plus. I tried using more blue lighting to make dimmer and darker but they just hide in corner?

You can actually dim this light using the remote control. I have this light over all my wilds tank.
Pat