PDA

View Full Version : Best or preferred Substrates?

brewmaster15
11-17-2014, 08:12 AM
So what substrate is all the rage these days? Last time I had a planted tank I used either laterite or something that was similar to it made and sold by Lesco(I think).

That was a while ago.I have tried several other substrates over the years including Agway's unscented eco kitty litter which actually worked pretty well.

whats everyone using in their tanks or tried and liked/disliked.

Al

Frankr409
11-17-2014, 10:06 AM
My favorite is sand over fluorite (by SeaChem)

Below is a great article on Substrate, listing the pro's and con's of each.

http://www.aquariumslife.com/aquascaping/planted-aquarium-substrate/substrate-materials-planted-aquarium/

Rudustin
11-17-2014, 10:09 AM
My favorite substrate is none at all.

OC Discus
11-17-2014, 10:49 AM
One with an antimicrobial Teflon like coating so nothing would stick to it would be nice. Has anyone seen one like that?

dprais1
11-17-2014, 11:36 AM
I was very successful with MGOPM (miracle gro organic potting mix) mixed with MTS (mineralized top soil (from bama plants)) and topped with black diamond sand. The MTS and MGOPM provided all the nutrients to the plants and the black diamond kept all those same nutrients from entering the water. I used 4 bags of bama plants MTS and one of the small bags of MGOPM for a 75 gallon. If i was top do it again I would probably mix the black diamond sand with regular black sand for a darker look. Adding MTS(malaysian trumpet snails) helps to aerate the mix and keep it from going anaerobic. Even with that you need to 'poke' the mix every few days for the first month to release trapped gasses.

After setting up this system I would wait 2 months before adding discus, or until all water parameters stabilize and the water clears of any tannins.

here is a link to my thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196906

rickztahone
11-17-2014, 01:31 PM
By far the best substrate I had for my fully planted tank was ADA Amazonia. My plants loved it and grew like weeds. Ok, their growth wasn't specifically attributant to the substrate only, but it really was a great substrate to deal with. Cost a good penny though.

brewmaster15
11-19-2014, 07:26 AM
I was very successful with MGOPM (miracle gro organic potting mix) mixed with MTS (mineralized top soil (from bama plants)) and topped with black diamond sand. The MTS and MGOPM provided all the nutrients to the plants and the black diamond kept all those same nutrients from entering the water. I used 4 bags of bama plants MTS and one of the small bags of MGOPM for a 75 gallon. If i was top do it again I would probably mix the black diamond sand with regular black sand for a darker look. Adding MTS(malaysian trumpet snails) helps to aerate the mix and keep it from going anaerobic. Even with that you need to 'poke' the mix every few days for the first month to release trapped gasses.

After setting up this system I would wait 2 months before adding discus, or until all water parameters stabilize and the water clears of any tannins.

here is a link to my thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196906

Thanks for that link and info, very informative read... any chance I can get you to repost it here on Simply? :)

-al