PDA

View Full Version : Hikari Frozen Blood Worm vs Freezed Dried Blood Worms and Feeding Behavior.

torch
11-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Comparsion Hikari Frozen Blood Worm vs Freezed Dried Blood Worms? Should I be concern with diease from FBW? The Discus definitely love the FBW over FZDBW. I just got 2.5 , 3.5 and 4 to 4.5 size discus and hopes to grow them. Thinking of doing manually doing FBW once in AM and once in PM with Auto Feeder doing Tetra bit pellets 3x day.

My first attempt at keeping and growing discus. I see they actually don't eat as much as my fancy goldfish. Also they tend to nib here and there very slow feeding.

The young 2.5 is not eating any pellets or Freezed dried BW, that is why I am trying to use FBW.

Should I just force and train them to only Free dried BW?

jsullins
11-17-2014, 04:32 PM
If worms frozen or freeze dried are going to be one of the main staples in your feeding regiment then I would get rid of the blood worms except for an occasional snack and go with freeze dried blackworms. Just my opinion.

torch
11-17-2014, 04:33 PM
If worms frozen or freeze dried are going to be one of the main staples in your feeding regiment then I would get rid of the blood worms except for an occasional snack and go with freeze dried blackworms. Just my opinion.

Can you tell me the advantage of freeze dried blackworms over Frozen? For adults and Juvs?

jsullins
11-17-2014, 04:56 PM
freeze dried are easier to use imo and dont mess up the water quality. i dont know about the frozen but you can get several different types of freeze dried,
pro-grow, w/spinach, w/tetra colorbits and so on.

DISCUS STU
11-18-2014, 03:52 PM
It's been discussed on the forum alot. Fdbw are high in protein (approx. 50%) and a good staple food for growing Discus. Frozen blood worms are relatively low in protein (approx. 5%-6%) and are mostly water content.

I've never seen a Discus that doesn't go nuts for the frozen forms and there's nothing wrong with it, assuming you're buying a good brand, but it would be relatively expensive and not really practical to feed this as a staple for growing Discus. I buy the Hikari brand also but usually just feed it as a treat and as a first food for new introductions. Normally if they won't eat anything else, they will eat frozen bloodworms.

You shouldn't have to force them to eat FDBW. Mine eat it voraciously. It may just take a little while.

torch
11-18-2014, 04:29 PM
It's been discussed on the forum alot. Fdbw are high in protein (approx. 50%) and a good staple food for growing Discus. Frozen blood worms are relatively low in protein (approx. 5%-6%) and are mostly water content.

I've never seen a Discus that doesn't go nuts for the frozen forms and there's nothing wrong with it, assuming you're buying a good brand, but it would be relatively expensive and not really practical to feed this as a staple for growing Discus. I buy the Hikari brand also but usually just feed it as a treat and as a first food for new introductions. Normally if they won't eat anything else, they will eat frozen bloodworms.

You shouldn't have to force them to eat FDBW. Mine eat it voraciously. It may just take a little while.

Thanks, all 5 of my fish (3.5 to 5 inch) eats everything I give them (Terabits and FDBW). Its the 2.5 inch that I put in its own tank that is refusing to eat anything but frozen bloodworms. I separate the 2.5 because it too scare to eat as it was runt of the pack. Perhaps I will just put it back with others and force it to adapt.

I didn't realize frozen has low protein. I'll stick to Fdbw from now on.

DISCUS STU
11-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks, all 5 of my fish (3.5 to 5 inch) eats everything I give them (Terabits and FDBW). Its the 2.5 inch that I put in its own tank that is refusing to eat anything but frozen bloodworms. I separate the 2.5 because it too scare to eat as it was runt of the pack. Perhaps I will just put it back with others and force it to adapt.

I didn't realize frozen has low protein. I'll stick to Fdbw from now on.

At least it's eating and that's a good sign. If it stops eating you may want to treat for an internal parasite/infection.

MendoMan
11-19-2014, 09:58 AM
I feed my fish four or five different things ,including Hikari frozen Bloodworms, but it's the freeze dried Blackworms that they tear into. They eat everything I give them but sure seem to like the Blackworms the most.

plecocicho
11-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Ughh, frozen and freeze dried food of any kind (blackworms, daphnia, chironomids) HAS THE SAME PROTEIN CONTENT!

DISCUS STU
11-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Ughh, frozen and freeze dried food of any kind (blackworms, daphnia, chironomids) HAS THE SAME PROTEIN CONTENT!
Sure, but a package of both will have an overall, average higher protein content for the freeze dried package. An individual blood worm, blackworm, etc frozen or dried should be exactly the same. One on one they have to be the same, the drying process doesn't increase anything, but it does reduce water, filler content. $10 of each package, one to one gives the buyer more overall protein in the freeze dried package.

amityadav
01-11-2015, 04:00 PM
i have fed my discus frozen blookdworms and mysis shrimp without issues.

JamesP
01-11-2015, 04:24 PM

I am not sure why you would compare freeze dried to frozen. Here are Jehmco's information on the FD Bloodworms they sell. This is a much fairer comparison. As you can see their % of Protein is much better than you quote. I would say the biggest issue with Bloodworms is for those individuals that have allergy concerns which is very real.
"Approximate Analysis: Protein - 58%, Fat - 5%, Fiber - 2%, Moisture - 4%.
A great high protein conditioning food for finicky eaters. Bloodworms are not true “worms” (not the type sold as bait for sport fisherman) nor are they Mosquito larvae as they are sometimes mis-labeld, but Bloodworms are rather a larvae stage of the insect Midge Fly (Chironomus genus)."

Jim