PDA

View Full Version : Adding Purigen after using Aquasafe

Mrs. J
11-25-2014, 07:42 PM
Can anyone tell me how long it takes Aquasafe plus to precipitate out of the aquarium? Been using Prime until hubby decided to help by changing water while I was at work. Changed out 30% yesterday, and will change out more tonight. Would rather be on the safe side before I add the Purigen?

56 gallon tall
0/0/15
ph 7.2
temp 84

Thanks

OC Discus
11-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Safest bet would be a couple of near 100% water changes. Not sure what carbon would do. Wiping down all surfaces before wc is also advisable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrs. J
11-25-2014, 11:26 PM
Thank you. I will need to wait until the weekend to do total wipe down, but want to err on the side of caution. I love these little guys and don't want to take any chances. Seachem techs could not give me any information on it other than we didn't want to combine the two....which I noticed on the forum previously. Had not thought about carbon, but worth a try.

Mrs. J
11-25-2014, 11:28 PM
I also e mailed Tetra support but have not heard back from them yet.

nc0gnet0
11-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Why do you think there would be an issue between the two? There should'nt be.

Mrs. J
11-26-2014, 12:47 PM
There is a thread on this forum that indicates that adding these two together may cause toxic issues. I spoke to Seachem about this and they did confirm that there may be an issue (?) Quote: Yes we have had problems with this issue before" I am not a chemist by any means but think maybe had to do with too little oxygen in the water. Very cautious about adding anything but would like the filtering it seems to do. If I use carbon would it affect the prime I use to treat water?

Len
11-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Why do you think there would be an issue between the two? There should'nt be.

There are some products like this that shouldn't be used with purigen. I'm not sure if aquasafe is one of them, but if it contains EDTA or is amine based, it will interfere with recharging the purigen and can result in chloramines being released into the water column.

taken from Seachem's website:

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of PrimeŽ, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus BufferŽ, Neutral RegulatorŽ). Original color and full activity should now be restored and PurigenŽ is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul PurigenŽ and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

nc0gnet0
11-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Ahh I see, so the issue would arrise after the regeneration of purigen, that makes sense. Thought aquasafe was just a dechlor....my bad.

Len
11-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Ahh I see, so the issue would arrise after the regeneration of purigen, that makes sense. Thought aquasafe was just a dechlor....my bad.

Nah it's a dechlor with other junk in it :) I think people use it because it's readily available in most pet stores, but it works out to be much more costly and has things like aloe in it. To me it seems like adding more "stuff" to your tank than you need or even want really. To each his own though.

discuspaul
11-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Len has accurately pointed out the potential toxicity issue involved here.
Some conditioners contain stress coat protective polymers which are amine-based. Amine compounds bind with the Purigen resin which, when coming in contact with chlorine, will form chloramines which are very toxic.
I'm not aware either as to whether or not AquaSafe contains any amine-based polymer in it's stress coat additive.

Mrs. J
11-26-2014, 01:38 PM
I just spoke to the Tetra rep who says that they think it is ok to use the two together. Please explain why I can use it new, but not regenerated, for my own information and education. According to the bottle Sodium Hydroxymethane ulfinate, chelating Compounds, Polyvinyl pyrolidones, seaweed biopolymers, organic htdrocolloids. Sounds like a lot of stuff ...

Mrs. J
11-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Sorry that's hydroxymethane sulfinate, organic hydrocolloids. polyvinyl (plastic? like pvc pipe?)

Second Hand Pat
11-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Julia, maybe best to use prime or safe to dechor your water and the concerns with purigen are mute.

Mrs. J
11-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately, my Hubby used the Aquasafe to dechlor when I was at work, he was trying to help...I have always used Prime, but my concern is starting to use Purigen after he used the Aquasafe...bad timing. Concern is any of the ingredients of the aquasafe are still lingering in the tank after my water changes. Three 30% changes in the last two days.I tend to be over cautious (ask Hans) and hubby is the opposite...these Discus are MINE

jsullins
11-26-2014, 05:03 PM
No you can use prime and carbon together along with purigen with no probs, if you are worried about trace amounts of aqua safe in your water just do a huge water change and start using prime and carbon if you want, wait until after you do your next water change after that and then add the purigen. waiting a day or two xtra to start using purigen wont hurt anything, better to be safe rather than sorry.

There is a thread on this forum that indicates that adding these two together may cause toxic issues. I spoke to Seachem about this and they did confirm that there may be an issue (?) Quote: Yes we have had problems with this issue before" I am not a chemist by any means but think maybe had to do with too little oxygen in the water. Very cautious about adding anything but would like the filtering it seems to do. If I use carbon would it affect the prime I use to treat water?

Len
11-26-2014, 05:06 PM
I just spoke to the Tetra rep who says that they think it is ok to use the two together. Please explain why I can use it new, but not regenerated, for my own information and education. According to the bottle Sodium Hydroxymethane ulfinate, chelating Compounds, Polyvinyl pyrolidones, seaweed biopolymers, organic htdrocolloids. Sounds like a lot of stuff ...

I'd probe them further for a definite answer. Based on the information seachem provides they should either say yes they are compatible or no they aren't. If your unsure, avoid it.